PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Political issues for Election 2016

Horatio Leafblower
4th Apr 2016, 12:15
Can anyone tell me what issues the Aviation lobby is fighting for this year?

..is it CASA's over-regulation issues as identified by AMROBA, RAAA and the like, that are destroying the industry's viability, robbing us of Mr Turnbulls's much-spruiked "innovation" and "agility"?

...or is it the industry-destroying issue of military airspace, Radio frequencies on maps, esoteric Airspace definitions and the odd missed radio call? The crushing unfairness of Cessna's inspection program for the Cessna C208?

This is the Professional Pilot's Rumour Network, not the Electronics and Publishing Mogul's Aviation Enthusiast Support Network.

Does Dick represent YOUR concerns about YOUR chosen profession and career?

As an operator of 7 aircraft and an employer (over the years) of over 40 pilots, I can't say the issues raised by Dick present more than an irritation to my business. I can't help wonering if, in the lead-up to the election, we here are falling for a conjuror's trick.

Here we are waving our willies in the air at... well, waving our Willies at Dick.
...while the very real and very expensive issues raised by REAL industry players go unheeded.

Unite! unite - let's ignore the sideshow. What is costing you your prosperity? Why is the industry flagging? It's not because Willy has an extra 5nm to the west (no matter how irritating it is to me).

Dick is wonderful in a great many ways - but he and his cheer squad of ex-AOPA ex-luminaries will not help us in aviation's fight for survival.

Styx75
4th Apr 2016, 14:46
Did you have a solution or did you just want a thinly veiled opportunity to beat Mr Smith?

Aussie Bob
4th Apr 2016, 21:59
Look at the AOPA letter, what a great start. If everyone in the industry could rally around these points we might get somewhere.

Frank Arouet
4th Apr 2016, 23:30
Those failing to see the possibility of a turning point and coincidentally during an election campaign, will continue to be part of the problem. It's time for everyone to rally around the AOPA initiative.

Ixixly
4th Apr 2016, 23:39
Horatio, I have to say I enjoy reading just about everything you put up here and agree with your points, that being said, out of interest, have you ever had a face to face chat with Dick? It seems like one of his biggest gripes that is not Aviation related is those who a snipe at him on forums such as here but don't approach him directly. Surely instead of butting heads the pair of you working together to find actual solutions based on both of your perspectives (Business and Pleasure it would seem) a lot more could be accomplished. Wouldn't that be "Uniting"? Two heads are better than one? ying and yang? all that kind of fun stuff?

Capn Bloggs
5th Apr 2016, 00:33
Surely instead of butting heads
But Ixixly, that's precisely what happens when one meets Dick Smith if you have an opposing view. It's a one-way conversation. Sad but true.

Horatio Leafblower
5th Apr 2016, 03:38
Ixy,

I have spoken to Dick several times but he was not interested in meeting or working together; he was gracious enough to wish me good luck with my business.

Dick's issues are legitimate but if you fix all Dick's aviation issues GA will still die in 5-10 years.

Styx75,
Did you have a solution or did you just want a thinly veiled opportunity to beat Mr Smith?

I assure you I am not beating Mr Smith but just trying to highlight that the issues he raises on PPRuNe, generating much heat and noise, are irritations....not actually the core issues that beset the industry.

Frank Arouet
5th Apr 2016, 03:45
Australian voters, like pilots, don't vote for people or political party's. They vote against people or political party's. The ALP are particularly rabid in this area. Many don't particularly like their own mob, but they detest the others more. Reverse psychology? maybe, but hate is a stronger emotion.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
5th Apr 2016, 04:10
If you are NOT a member of AOPA, then NOW might be a 'good time' to consider joining.
IMHO.

You've heard it all before...'United We Stand...' etc

With around 88 days or so till the next election, it might even be a 'good time' to seek out your local candidates and see what can be done at that level...?

Cheers :ok:

Fantome
5th Apr 2016, 08:42
With around 88 days or so till the next election, it might even be a 'good time' to seek out your local candidates and see what can be done at that level...?

. . .. . particularly sound advice . .. . get cracking now . . ask your representative a few well considered questions (three queries is generally recommended in all correspondence seeking answers from pollies)

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

. . . .that's precisely what happens when one meets Dick Smith if you have an opposing view. It's a one-way conversation. Sad but true.

. . .. . my own experience too. (On the other hand, among his real achievements the fact he has done his level best to commemorate and bring to wider notice the extraordinary life of Sir Hubert Wilkins deserves high praise.)

Those failing to see the possibility of a turning point and coincidentally during an election campaign, will continue to be part of the problem. It's time for everyone to rally around the AOPA initiative.

. .. . . please heed the call . . .for the times they (might well be) a-changin'

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………

.. . . and clearly, the best practical way for the 'little man' to lend his support and his voice to reform and new initiatives is to take that modest leap of faith by joining up . .. .

http://www.aopa.com.au/member-services/join

Horatio Leafblower
5th Apr 2016, 09:48
I buttonholed Barnaby at Politics in the Pub last week - I raised the issues of:
1/. massive increase in regulatory workload and cost for zero reduction in risk; and
2/. unworkable turnaround times for regulatory services, making the idea of commercial "agility" a sad joke.

His response started with "Aviation legislation is a witches' brew which nobody in their right mind wants to become ensnared in - which is why I didn't want to become Transport Minister".

He went on to make the commitment in front of the crowd that he would get me in front of Darren Chester as part of a local Delegation.

I know Barnaby "Gets it" (all 4 charter operators in his electorate give him heaps) but we have to package aviation legislation and structural reform in a way that whoever does it can't be immediately attacked by the other side as "unravelling Aviation Safety" or otherwise imperilling the safety of the General Public.

cogwheel
5th Apr 2016, 14:09
The real answer to our mess is to campaign for simple rules and less of them, not more, and strict liability has no place in aviation law. How do we do that? Well basic education at all levels is the key along with a level of trust of all involved.

LeadSled
5th Apr 2016, 14:30
I know Barnaby "Gets it"
Aviation wise, I can verify that.
Tootle pip!!

thorn bird
7th Apr 2016, 11:16
"(all 4 charter operators in his electorate give him heaps)"

Jeez Horatio, he must have the last remaining operators in Australia in his electorate, I didn't think there were that many left in OZ.

For as long as the industry continues to approach the problems through blinkered
narrow focused, self interest eyes, the Murky Mandarin and his CAsA acolytes will continue to work their divide and conquer strategy, costs will continue to become even more unsustainable and the industry will continue to decline.

I understand the AOPA's attempts to gain some political traction through their Eureka project has seen almost all the various self interest associations disassociate themselves from it.

Very disappointing. Until the industry stands with a united front CAsA will continue to pick off individual dissenters and manipulate the political agenda.

Australia will be so "Safe" nobody will be able to afford it.

Ixixly
7th Apr 2016, 22:49
Horatio, I see, that is unfortunate, I expected Dick to be a bit more agreeable, even if he didn't necessarily consider your ideas a priority that he would at least come to the conclusion that giving someone with an opposing view a seat at his table and a voice would be beneficial to us all.

Glad to see he had some grace to him, but not so great that he can't see your view isn't opposing but just tackling another side of the issue that does need to be addressed.

B772
8th Apr 2016, 06:14
Would it assist if we adopted all New Zealand aviation rules, regulations etc etc

Dick Smith
8th Apr 2016, 06:59
Horatio. Why don't you give me a ring?

I can assist with major cost reductions. One
day I will show you a list of the cost reductions I introduced.

Unfortunately I cannot identify you therefore remember what we spoke about. I get up to 100 requests a week from people who just want to spend 20 minutes with me. Unfortunarly can't cope as only 25 hours in a day.

But as a Pprune poster I would give you any time you wanted!

gerry111
8th Apr 2016, 10:41
"I get up to 100 requests a week from people who just want to spend 20 minutes with me. Unfortunarly can't cope as only 25 hours in a day."

Brilliant stuff! :D:D:D:D:D

(Those small businesses that employ pretty oriental ladies are booming in Sydney.)

aviationadvertiser
8th Apr 2016, 10:59
Dick and others,

Just submitted to Barnaby's office this evening. I will be in Tamworth on Monday 11th to Wednesday 13th at Hangar 6, Tamworth Regional Airport.

I have meetings with Tony Windsor and the newspapers and television are organised. The state of the aviation industry, the cause of its decline and the impact on regional Australia are key issues for the New England electorate and the upcoming election.

Any aircraft owners, pilots, aviation businesses or other supporters interested in meeting up during my visit, please reach out and make contact.

If you are all interested, I will put on a free BBQ lunch tuseday 12th April at Hangar 6, Tamworth Regional Airport. Make the effort, come on down and lets have a discussion about creating some change.

Lets start pushing this forward.

Benjamin Morgan
Aviation Advertiser - Australia.

---------------------------------

8th April 2016.

The Hon Barnaby Joyce
Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network

Dear Minister Joyce,

NEW ENGLAND DEMANDS AVIATION REGULATORY REFORM.

Aviation Advertiser is Australia’s largest online aircraft marketplace and has been operating since 2008. Our digital services are used by over 94,000+ persons across Australia and New Zealand. We provide the Australian aviation industry with aircraft sales, marketing and advertising services.

Aside from our commercial activities within aviation, our organisation also works alongside Australia’s leading aviation associations and peak-bodies. Standing with industry, with regard to leading advocacy and developing regulatory reform.

Aviation Advertiser has recently acquired an airside facility at Tamworth Regional Airport, that forms part of our national aircraft sales, marketing and aircraft maintenance network. We will be working alongside Tamworth Regional Airport and the aircraft owners and pilots of the New England electorate in helping develop regional aviation and employment.

Through the course of normal business, Aviation Advertiser is in direct regular communication with a broad spectrum of aviation users. Students, recreational, private and commercial pilots, private and commercial aircraft owners and aviation businesses. Many of these hard working men and women reside in your electorate, New England.

Constituents whom are desperately concerned for the future of small to medium sized aviation in Australia and for the future of rural communities that depend on their services.

As a result of successive failures by both the Labor and Liberal Governments to implement balanced and appropriate aviation policy over the past 25 years, the aviation industry in Australia has been forced into decline and soon - total destruction.

The cause of the aviation industry’s decline is clear and is virtually unanimously agreed on by Australia’s leading aviation associations, peak-bodies, businesses, pilots and aircraft owners.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority regulatory framework.

A regulatory framework which has been forced on the Australian aviation industry, with total disregard as to the imposed costs and damage it would inflict on the aviation economy.

If the situation continues without change, CASA will soon have achieved a result, no other aviation regulator in the world would have thought possible. A totally 100% safe aviation industry - whereby nobody flies unless you are a domestic or international airline.

Across Australia private owners, farmers and primary producers are being forced to sell off their aircraft and exit the aviation industry - as a result of excessive compliance costs. The knock on effects now being felt by maintenance providers, fight training schools and support service companies. The economic loss and impact could run as high as $500 million, with thousands unemployed.

Is the destruction of the small to medium sized aviation industry in the interests of Australian Agriculture portfolio or the constituents of New England?

Across regional Australia, local airports are desperate for small to medium sized aviation to connect and service their communities. Local Governments want to see their airports become economic drivers for their shires and regions. Bringing to their communities growth, employment and opportunity.

This will not be possible until the Federal Government comprehensively reforms aviation regulation. Provides an economic pathway for growth and opportunity.

I have now worked as part of the aviation industry long enough to see Ministers come and go. Ministers whom hide behind white paper studies, who refuse to give direct answers to industry and who fail to provide informed policy direction or leadership on the issue of aviation regulatory reform.

Ministers who perceive aviation safety to be a ‘witches brew’, far too complicated to become politically embroiled.

The hard working men and women in the aviation industry in this country deserve better and demand leadership.

I shall be in Tamworth from Monday 11th to 13th April 2016 for a range of newspaper and television media engagements and would like to meet with you to discuss the above. If you could please make time to meet with me, both I and the aviation industry would appreciate it.

In the meantime, if you would like discuss any of the above, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Horatio Leafblower
8th Apr 2016, 12:42
Morgs,

Is it coincidence that I will be meeting with DB and PM at your hangar at that time?

See you Tuesday.

Name is Porter, should you bring your IFR Studes up to Tamworth on Tuesday? The ILS costs you $60 but doesn't need slots!

30/30 Green Light
8th Apr 2016, 20:48
With respect to B772's question regarding the adoption of NZ rules can anyone tell me of any constitutional/legal constraints which prevent this? I understand there are, regarding the adoption of FAA rules. I work with NZ rules very often in the maintenance area and find them to be (comparatively) clear and concise. Projects like developing Part 91,135 etc would be complete and at minimal cost compared to what we continue to endure. I've no doubt one rejoinder will be "we will need to Australianise them." But why? Is it too hard for us to admit that, maybe, the "bro's" have done it better? Our system is going backwards and harmonisation is a joke. Adoption of Kiwi rules could ultimately save the industry untold money and a lot of us considerable angst. Heaven forbid, CASA themselves might even be able to understand the rules. Cheers, 30/30

Ixixly
8th Apr 2016, 22:27
30/30 Green Light, no real reason I suspect except "Ego". If CASA did adopt the Kiwi Regs they'd also have to admit what a massive FUBAR they've committed for over a decade now!

Dick Smith
9th Apr 2016, 06:45
I'll do my best to be there on Tuesday. What time are the pollies expected. If any

DS

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Apr 2016, 15:22
"77 Sunset Strip"..... NOPE!!!

77 Days to go to voting day.....

Cheeerrrss...

Tick Toc Tick Toc.....

Frank Arouet
16th Apr 2016, 00:45
The LNP only vote for their party.
The ALP only vote against the NLP.

One consequence of this phenomena is demonstrated in last elections 730,000 informal votes, where those constituents didn't see anyone worthy to give their vote to. I'll wager this coming election will see this number trip over one million.

Now if someone could harness this powerful group... One box above the line marked Informal Party. Much neater.

Horatio Leafblower
16th Apr 2016, 01:16
One box above the line marked Informal Party. Much neater.

Frank,

That's bloody inspired!

Jabawocky
16th Apr 2016, 03:27
If you want to make change, the MP's are not the focal point. The government departments run their ministers, not the other way around.This is why we are having trouble telling the two majors apart.

Time to have a clean out, of the bureaucrats that is.

Frank Arouet
16th Apr 2016, 08:59
From Tim Blair blog;

Analysis by The Weekend Australian has revealed that more than 44 per cent of voters, almost 6.4 million people, are either public sector employees (1.89 million) or wholly dependent on federal government pensions, allowances and parenting payments (4.48 million). The figure grows further when private sector workers who receive more in welfare than they pay in tax are added …
ANU researcher Ben Phillips estimated that only 43 per cent of the adult population excluding public sector workers were net taxpayers last year, bringing the actual total voter-dependency ratio to well over 50 per cent.

We live in a bureaucracy, not a democracy!

rutan around
18th Apr 2016, 20:02
We live in a bureaucracy, not a democracy!Does it matter Frank? What seems more important to me is that adequate checks and balances are put in place and enforced. Neither the government nor the private sector do a very good job if allowed to run feral. There are many examples where this has happened but 2 current ones come readily to mind.

Clive Palmer and his brilliant management of the Townsville nickle mine for the private sector and CASA for the public sector.

Both of these should be held up as scary lessons showing what happens when lilly livered law makers sit on their hands and do nothing.

thorn bird
18th Apr 2016, 21:25
I agree with Jaba,
everyone thinks the British TV show "Yes Minister" is a comedy, in reality its a documentary.
Australian "mandarins" have taken the finest of British bureaucracy and refined it into an art form.

truthinbeer
21st Apr 2016, 00:03
I'm with you Frank, voting Informal Party. I cannot see that Turnbull will get elected come July

cogwheel
24th Apr 2016, 04:40
Back to the top.....

Any update from Benjamin Morgan of the Aviation Advertiser??

Wunwing
25th Apr 2016, 00:15
The only way to achieve anything in the coming election is to be organised and concentrate on one Liberal/National (in this case)politician. Put up one major item and hammer it day after day after day. Use the press, radio, TV, facebook, signage etc and just overpower them.

I'm involved in just such a campaign right now on a State issue which seems to be having traction. It takes money, organisation, time and dedication. The campaign must concentrate on one matter only.

If we are going to get organised it will have to be soon. You need a registered organisation for insurance and cash handling, a very good committee and persons skilled in using the press, internet and producing content as well as a very good front man. Expect and anticipate every possible dirty trick from your local pollies support team. They are experts at playing the man, not the ball

If all that can't be met and in place within a couple of weeks from now, don't bother. The reality is that if the Industry was serious about running a real campaign,it should have been organised by the end of last year.

Wunwing

Aussie Bob
25th Apr 2016, 02:28
The reality is that if the Industry was serious about running a real campaign,it should have been organised by the end of last year.
This industry is not serious about running any campaign, hasn't been since Dick and Boyd ran AOPA and never will be again. It is shattered, dysfunctional and over. If I dared to dream about it, AOPA, RAA, SAAA, HIA, AFAP, AGF, GAA, APF, HGFA and the rest of the voices in the wilderness would unite on a common front and force the end of CASA.
CASA's divide and conquer policy has worked so well that hardly anyone can see it. If you don't believe me just ask yourself, why has such a small industry got so many organisations? Why can none of them agree on anything? Why do so many of them rely on exemptions to the regulations? More poignantly why do so many have CASA friendly board members? Why are there so many different and opposing opinions on Prune regarding the regulator?

Rest in pieces general aviation, been fun knowing you.

Frank Arouet
25th Apr 2016, 07:29
Yes, a room full of Alpha Males/females deciding what's best for me.

Apathy is a curse, but I don't care any more.

Sunfish
25th Apr 2016, 22:47
Aussie Bob is right. Divide and rule, herding cats, etc.

I am facing this in another arena - a sporting club that needs new investment and even has 5 million donation towards the redevelopment!

However it faces exactly the same challenges to some extent:

- a reactionary faction that wants to retreat to the way the club was in the 1950's when they were young - they keep posting old newspaper articles on Facebook!

- Retired folks who are scared of rising subscript costs.

- Commercial axe grinders who see money for themselves if the development is either thwarted or completed (Two groups).

- The staff and their friends who are concerned for their careers.

- The "do it yourself" brigade who hate professional builders. They always also have a friend in the trade who can do it for half price.

- The acquired irrelevancy disease syndrome sufferers (AIDS) - retired engineers/architects/real estate agents/champions,, etc. who are miffed that they have not been consulted and are not part of the project.

- The single issue groupies.

- Self made men who built their own businesses and don't understand why their word isn't law anymore.

- The "process queens" who believe that everything will be rosy if we follow their long and involved pet management process - and will sabotage every thing else to prove it.

For free you can have the Sunfish Peak Body Construction Process - SPBCP (™)

1. Town meeting - everybody gets to vent, once.

2. Steering Committee summarises issues and gets agreement to them at Town meeting. Venting then prohibited.

3. SC works out vision and mission statement and publishes in newsletter.

4. SC and consultants if necessary do a SWOT analysis, develop options with pros and cons.

5. Options put in a working paper to members. Constructive comments invited

6. Town meeting to consider and adopt ONE option.

Commitee then gets on with the job armed with a vision, mission, and a clear mandate from the members.

Stanwell
26th Apr 2016, 07:15
A profound post, Sunny.
It follows on nicely from Aussie Bob's analysis of the situation that's been allowed to develop over the past couple of decades or so.
The sporting club analogy is also a good one - I've experienced the same myself while wasting my time with volunteer bodies..

Of course your positive example, the SPBCP, has much merit.
I insist on a similar process myself if I'm to contribute my expertise and time to a project - otherwise, work it out yourselves, I've got better things to do.

It'll be interesting to see what Ben Morgan's (Aviation Advertiser) meeting/rally at Tamworth next week can produce.
More power to your elbow, Ben.

pithblot
28th Apr 2016, 01:09
Any politicians reading this forum?
24 hour TTF coverage for Darwin....worth at least one vote :ok: