PDA

View Full Version : Egypt Air Flight Hijack?

Southside Hangers
29th Mar 2016, 06:19
Some press reports of an Egypt Air flight from Alexandria to Cairo being hijacked and directed to Cyprus

manrow
29th Mar 2016, 06:20
Apparently now landed in Larnaca, Cyprus.

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 06:27
1 hijacker confirmed. Stairs have been requested.

9 lives
29th Mar 2016, 06:28
France 24 News in English has said that the plane was "kidnapped". I think I know what they meant...

rickstar7891
29th Mar 2016, 06:29
Sky News reporting a suspected bomb onboard.

PAXfips
29th Mar 2016, 06:33
German Media (N24) reports: "A320 from Egypt Air"

da4089
29th Mar 2016, 06:38
The Guardian is reporting it as MS181: Hijacked EgyptAir passenger plane lands in Cyprus ? reports | World news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/29/hijacked-egyptair-passenger-plane-lands-in-cyprus-reports)

TwoHeadedTroll
29th Mar 2016, 06:41
"The website Sigma Live reports that it is flight MS181 from Alexandria to Cairo with 81 people on board, adding that the Larnaca airport control tower received a message at 8.30 A.M. and that the plane made an emergency landing at 8:50 A.M."

- just when Egypt has been attempting to demonstrate security is strong at its airports. If it cannot adequately prove it now, it never can.

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 06:46
Our flight MS181 is officially hijacked. we'll publish an official statement now. #Egyptair

from their official twitter account.

fox niner
29th Mar 2016, 06:48
Reportedly the hijacker is wearing a bomb belt around his waist. Whether it is a real one remains to be seen.
(Source: pax on board, see av herald)

Flightmech
29th Mar 2016, 06:50
Looks like PFO is filling up already.

crewmeal
29th Mar 2016, 06:55
Sky reporting that hijacker is a suicide bomber with explosives strapped to his waist. How the hell did that lot get through security???

Man 'Strapped With Explosives' Hijacks Plane (http://news.sky.com/story/1668659/man-strapped-with-explosives-hijacks-plane)

crewmeal
29th Mar 2016, 07:02
If true yet again another example of poor security standards at Egyptian airports. No wonder the UK government is shy of resuming flights to SSH. Another nail for Egyptian tourism.

ETOPS
29th Mar 2016, 07:09
Poor choice of destination by the hijacker.

Remind me - who is based just around the corner in Dhekelia?

crewmeal
29th Mar 2016, 07:13
Egyptair usually carry sky marshalls on their flights, at least they did when I flew from LHR-LXR and back last year.

HeartyMeatballs
29th Mar 2016, 07:14
I very much doubt there's a suicide bomber onboard. I'd be very surprised if there were any explosives or weaponry at all onboard.

What concerns me is the fuelling. They fuelled for a short hop. Yet ended up travelling an awful lot further than they were fuelled for. It could have been another Ethiopian 961, particularly given the sea crossing.

deci
29th Mar 2016, 07:23
FR24: while in coverage, we did not receive a squawk 7500 signal from #MS181

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/714713473389830144

core_dump
29th Mar 2016, 07:26
not acceptable in any way for explosives to be passing through any airport in this way.

Maybe none did. Surely you're not suggesting that a flight attendant grabbed the handy onboard explosives testing kit, asked the hijacker to hand the belt over to be examined, and carefully scrutinized the hijacker's "goods"?

Just what do you expect security to do when a man shows up with a carry-on bag containing, say, some empty belt pouches, some newspapers or magazines, a corded electric razor, and his car keys? Making a convincing looking suicide belt doesn't require anything that suspicious.

Mimpe
29th Mar 2016, 07:30
Must be easy to get on an aircraft with an explosive belt these days. If it isn't , then the belt is fake.

cooperplace
29th Mar 2016, 07:30
acc. to BBC: (i) "up to 40" pax freed from plane (ii) flight originated in Saudi Arabia. It may be premature to blame Egyptian security. Egypt plane hijacked - latest - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-35914875)

yotty
29th Mar 2016, 07:39
Somebody just blow the fin off the aircraft, much easier to deal with the situation in Cyprus than a re-fuelled airbus with a range that could cause untold damage somewhere else!

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 07:45
The hijacker has asked to talk to a woman from a nearby village. He hand a 4 pages latter to the authorities and the woman is already at the airport to speak to him.

Kulverstukas
29th Mar 2016, 07:46
Just couple days after Egyptians claim that security check was improved after Kogalymair...

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 07:49
Allegedly, he is a Libyan formerly married to a Cypriot (the recipient of the letter).

halifaxV
29th Mar 2016, 08:01
In the last 10 days I have been through security at Alexandria, Cairo and Hurghada. In every case security was very high, body searches, repeat hand luggage scanning. I just cannot see how a vest or anything remotely explosive based could get through at any of those airports using the pax boarding route.

unworry
29th Mar 2016, 08:19
Press Release 1
Cairo 29 March 2016

An EGYPTAIR official declared that its flight number MS181 heading from HBE Airport (Borg El- Arab Airport in Alexandria) to Cairo Airport was already diverted to Larnaca airport in Cyprus as the aircraft was hijacked. The aircraft is an Airbus A320 with 56 pax onboard in addition to 7 crew members and one EGYPTAIR security member. The aircraft landed safely at Larnaca
EGYPTAIR confirms that it is following up with the concerned authorities in Cyprus through EGYPTAIR IOCC and negotiations are undergoing with the hijacker.
EGYPTAIR will update you with any news within one hour.

source: https://www.facebook.com/EGYPTAIR/posts/1286655934683903

unworry
29th Mar 2016, 08:23
What concerns me is the fuelling. They fuelled for a short hop. Yet ended up travelling an awful lot further than they were fuelled for. It could have been another Ethiopian 961, particularly given the sea crossing.

Sky News is reporting that Samaha (the hijacker) "requested to land in Turkey but fuel shortage led to the plane having to land in Cyprus."

FlapJackMuncher
29th Mar 2016, 08:42
Officially described as 'not a terrorist - a love-sick idiot'.
EgyptAir hijacker at Cyprus airport 'wants to contact ex-wife' ? live | World news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/29/egyptair-hijack-plane-from-alexandria-to-cairo-lands-in-cyprus-live)

unworry
29th Mar 2016, 08:48
RTlive showed footage of pax boarding a transit bus.

Claims the hijacker wants a letter to be given to his ex-wife who lives in Larnaca. Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades says Egypt plane hijacking not related to "terrorism"

Also reported the hijacker holds U.S citizenship and is a Professor of veterinary medicine at the University of Atlanta, United States. :confused:

Oleander
29th Mar 2016, 09:14
Here in Cyprus it is being reported that the Cyprus president, Anastasiades ruled out terrorism being behind the hijacking confirming instead that it had been instigated by a love-sick man bent on reuniting with his former Cypriot wife. “It’s all to do with a woman,” said the Cypriot president. “We are doing everything to release the hostages.”

While officials at Egypt’s ministry of foreign affairs responded to reports that the hijacker’s motives are personal, saying they were aware of the reports that he is seeking asylum and discussing his ex wife. “He’s not a terrorist, he’s an idiot. Terrorists are crazy but they aren’t stupid. This guy is,” they said.

Cyprus Mail updated with the official announcement from Egypt Air

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/03/29/hijacked-airplane-lands-larnaca-police-says/

Bigscotdaddy
29th Mar 2016, 09:21
All pax & Crew now safely off the A/C. The only person remaining on the A/C is the hijacker. As an aside, David Learmont interviewed on BBC2 as an 'aviation expert' saying the Egyptair Capt. was "at fault for believing the hijacker really had an explosive belt & that he should have had faith in airport security & just carried on to his destination". Bet he didn't have any family on that flight!!

stiglet
29th Mar 2016, 09:21
That's all right then ... whatever the reason it's a hijack and the consequences should be the same.

Wasn't there a situation in the UK (Stansted I believe a number of years ago) where the hijackers were eventually given leave to remain. Utter lunacy.

If I understand it correctly this man was in the FD; anyone clarify that? If that's right how on earth did that happen?

For Egyptian aviation to survive this man will need to be made an example of - I do not foresee a happy end for him.

timmermc
29th Mar 2016, 09:22
I see contradictory messages, first he would liked to be landing in Turkey and now suddenly it seems to be a love story with a landing in LCLK. If so, this makes it perfectly clear why she is his ex-wife.

Helicopterfixerman
29th Mar 2016, 09:33
From the BBC News Website

"Aviation expert David Learmont tells the BBC that the pilot should not have followed the hijacker's instructions.

'We are seeing something extraordinary. That captain who accepted, just on being told that somebody on board had a suicide vest, should have had sufficient confidence in the security services to know that that was impossible and therefore he should not have followed the instructions of the hijacker.'

David Learmont
Aviation expert"

Kulverstukas
29th Mar 2016, 09:33
And what he presented as a proof of his intent to harm the plane if they not obey?

beamer
29th Mar 2016, 09:37
I suspect that the passengers on the Russian aircraft brought down out of Sharm had the same confidence as David Learmount in Egyptian security procedures. Glad to hear that this appears not to have been a 'terrorist' incident and that apparently all crew and pax released.

aox
29th Mar 2016, 09:59
From the Guardian, about the press conference by the Egyptian aviation minister:

Why, the minister is asked, did the plane’s captain yield to the demands of a hijacker who might possibly have had a fake suicide belt? That, he responds, is a matter for a later investigation, once the urgent situation is over. The press conference ends.

That makes a lot more sense than Mr Learmount's daft suggestion.

I'm no airline captain, but I know even less about analysing alleged suicide belts ...

That's me personally saying that, but exactly the same thoughts should occur to Mr L. I thought airline pilots were taught to assess risk, and then scrupulously avoid it. Prat.

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 10:08
Blimey, now they are saying it is politically motivated.

Oleander
29th Mar 2016, 10:10
Any link to that jortheo? Almost every report of this incident here says something different, about the hijacker, his 'wife', the passengers ...

MalcolmB
29th Mar 2016, 10:12
Latest from BBC: -

Hijacker demands release of prisoners in Egypt.

3 passengers still on board.

Edit: - Hijacker now asking for asylum in Cyprus.

jortheo
29th Mar 2016, 10:13
here, at timestamp 12:58

???????: ????????????? ?? ?????????? ??????????? ??????????? | News (http://www.sigmalive.com/news/local/319840/larnaka-anagkastiki-prosgeiosi-gia-aeropeirateia#.dpuf)

crewmeal
29th Mar 2016, 10:38
"Aviation expert David Learmont tells the BBC that the pilot should not have followed the hijacker's instructions.

Was Mr Learmont on the flight then?

Bigscotdaddy
29th Mar 2016, 10:41
Latest report says that there are 3 pax & 4 crew still on board & that highjacker is demanding release of some (female?) prisoners in Egypt!
Concerning David Learmont's strange remarks - surely he's aware of the drug smugglers who involved catering truck staff & ground staff in a drug smuggling operation, where drugs were hidden under rear seats by ground staff & taken in & out of airside areas by catering staff, as security was not so stringent for them. That may well be how the bomb was placed on board at Sharm, & you could never assume it couldn't happen in the current situation.
As a retired Capt., I think I would have reacted the same way as the Egypt Air Capt. in that situation. Nowadays, especially operating out of some countries, you just can't be sure.

Sober Lark
29th Mar 2016, 10:58
I note the deplaning passengers (hostages) were taking their hand baggage with them. Perhaps the hijacker told them to do so, or is it conceivable we are witnessing another example of an emergency situation of 'hand luggage' evacuees where passengers simply don't let it go?

Heathrow Harry
29th Mar 2016, 11:16
well he might ransack their luggage looking for their duty frees...................

SLFguy
29th Mar 2016, 11:33
I note the deplaning passengers (hostages) were taking their hand baggage with them. Perhaps the hijacker told them to do so, or is it conceivable we are witnessing another example of an emergency situation of 'hand luggage' evacuees where passengers simply don't let it go?

Unless instructed not to by the hijacker why the hell wouldn't you take your hand luggage?

Is it stated anywhere that you shouldn't?

500 above
29th Mar 2016, 11:37
It now appears that one of the F/D crew has escaped out of the cockpit window.

Edit:

The hijacker has been arrested.

kilomike_19
29th Mar 2016, 11:46
Maybe the hijacker have his reasons to do this act... living in Egypt nowadays is awful, overall if you're an intelectual guy...

PS: I don't support the kidnapper, don't worry

parkfell
29th Mar 2016, 11:48
All over. Arrest made. Call off the dogs, and all the instant experts who have pontificated this morning.:ugh:

stagger
29th Mar 2016, 12:04
One of UK national papers has a photos of the hijacker posing with his "suicide vest".

The_Steed
29th Mar 2016, 12:20
With regards to David Learmont's comments...

Are they as complete rubbish as I think they are?

Surely if the Cabin Crew tell the Captain that someone has an explosive vest on then as the Captain you would have to trust the Cabin Crew's competency and take the threat seriously (i.e. do what the hijacker wants?).

Presumably, the Captain would never even see the hijacker?

And try telling relatives of victims of Metrojet that it's "impossible" to get explosives onto a plane...

student88
29th Mar 2016, 13:01
Assuming the flight deck wasn't compromised, it was probably better to obey the terrorists instructions and land at LCA rather than risk the chance of his explosive belt being the real deal and blowing up the aircraft mid air.

Kulverstukas
29th Mar 2016, 13:06
One of UK national papers has a photos of the hijacker posing with his "suicide vest".

This?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/03/29/12/32A3436500000578-3513434-This_image_which_has_been_shared_widely_on_social_media_repo rted-m-32_1459251899674.jpg

ElNull
29th Mar 2016, 14:11
Well trained crew, well done. Great work!

ImPlaneCrazy
29th Mar 2016, 14:55
I assume he asked the crew to take the photo for him?!

Sikpilot
29th Mar 2016, 15:18
That's all right then ... whatever the reason it's a hijack and the consequences should be the same.

Wasn't there a situation in the UK (Stansted I believe a number of years ago) where the hijackers were eventually given leave to remain. Utter lunacy.

If I understand it correctly this man was in the FD; anyone clarify that? If that's right how on earth did that happen?

For Egyptian aviation to survive this man will need to be made an example of - I do not foresee a happy end for him.

Yes and it is beyond lunacy. The hijacker works at the airport now as a cleaner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Afghan_hijackers_case

Revealed: Afghan plane hijacker is now working as a cleaner at Heathrow | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-566734/Revealed-Afghan-plane-hijacker-working-cleaner-Heathrow.html)

Bergerie1
29th Mar 2016, 16:48
Perhaps the BBC did not report all that David Learmount said:-
Learmount.com | For pilots, cabin crew, ATCOs and all supporting trades (http://davidlearmount.com/)

DaveReidUK
29th Mar 2016, 17:50
Perhaps the BBC did not report all that David Learmount said

That's putting it mildly.

The remarks attributed to DL (to which a number of posters rightly took exception) were almost the complete opposite of what he actually said, and the BBC has now withdrawn its misinterpretation.

ironbutt57
29th Mar 2016, 17:56
David is not known for spouting rubbish, quite the contrary..

jackharr
29th Mar 2016, 18:05
Who exactly is this David Learmont.

His name crops up on a regular basis. What are his credentials? His background?

Jack

Chronus
29th Mar 2016, 18:28
Perhaps the BBC did not report all that David Learmount said:-
Learmount.com | For pilots, cabin crew, ATCOs and all supporting trades (http://davidlearmount.com/)
Quite right ! Here is something DL said which was worth jounalistic comment.

"The flight was scheduled from Alexandria, Egypt, to Cairo, but a passenger claimed to be wearing a suicide vest and wanted to go to Cyprus, so the captain did what he asked and flew him to Larnaca."

I imagine the fellow introduced himself to a member of the cabin crew and the conversation went something like this, "I wish to see my girl friend, I love her and miss her so, would you please ask the captain to take me to Cyprus". When she declined, he unzipped his tunic and said, "look, I know maybe you think it is a fake, but this is the most powerful suicide belt in the world and would blow my head clean off, you`ve got to ask yourself one question Do I feel lucky ?, well do ya, punk ?"

I suppose in future all cabin staff will be required to check the authenticity of all suicide vests by requesting the wearers to carry out a trial detonation.

G-CPTN
29th Mar 2016, 18:53
David Learmount (http://davidlearmount.com/about/).

Max Angle
29th Mar 2016, 19:42
Would any UK based pilot have enough confidence in our security system to dismiss a passengers claim to be wearing an explosive vest, particularly if they had displayed a convincing looking device to the crew? I know for sure I wouldn't.

It then comes down to what they are demanding, a request to divert and land somewhere sounds like a great idea to me and would be exactly what I would be planning anyway.

G-CPTN
29th Mar 2016, 20:22
What good was the skymarshal?

Lonewolf_50
29th Mar 2016, 22:33
What good was the skymarshal? I wonder what the company SOP was regarding hijacking?

I may not have this right, but seem to recall that somewhere in the 60's / 70's the general approach to hijacking focused on getting the plane safely on the ground somewhere and then dealing with the :mad:s who were hijacking it.

The captain has a threat. Being captain he has to make a decision(and likely has to follow company SOP as best he can): is this credible or not, and how do I get all of my passengers back to the ground safely? A serious responsibility when dealing with the unknown and possibly lethal events subsequent to the announcement of a hijacking attempt.

I can only see as unhelpful the question offered to an official in Egypt regarding the Captain's decision.

From the Guardian, about the press conference by the Egyptian aviation minister: Why, the minister is asked, did the plane’s captain yield to the demands of a hijacker who might possibly have had a fake suicide belt?

Nice attempt to hang the Captain and put his judgment on the block: accusation by question. Not well played.

That, he responds, is a matter for a later investigation, once the urgent situation is over. The press conference ends.

What else could he say?

G-CPTN
29th Mar 2016, 23:07
A man described as "psychologically unstable" (http://news.yahoo.com/officials-egyptian-plane-hijacked-lands-cyrus-063608090.html).

Weeds round the prop
30th Mar 2016, 02:06
Kulverstukas- The photo is a cropped version of a posed photo taken by cabin crew at the request of the last passenger to leave. The passenger was to the right and grinning. A Yorkshire man of course- probably thought that he could sell it.

CafeClub
30th Mar 2016, 03:31
Here's the selfie

Ben Innes on EgyptAir hijacker photo: 'It was the best selfie ever' | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/30/briton-ben-innes-posed-selfie-egyptair-hijacker-praised-by-relatives)

Passenger 389
30th Mar 2016, 03:58
particularly if they had displayed a convincing looking device to the
crew?

Minor problem of determining what is a "convincing looking device"? Doubt they are marked Product of Islamic State' -- with a "best detonated by" date.

Even real ones may be made in someone's kitchen.

Who makes such determination, and how?

Invite member of flight crew to emerge from cockpit to inspect alleged bomb? (Is that task best performed by FO or Cptn?)

crewmeal
30th Mar 2016, 05:58
I'm not sure who is the biggest idiot the one on the left or the one on the right. You decide!!

EgyptAir: British passenger Ben Innes poses for happy snap with plane hijacker - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-30/egyptair-british-passenger-poses-for-snap-with-plane-hijacker/7283344)

DaveReidUK
30th Mar 2016, 06:23
As for D Learmount ...

'aviation expert' saying the Egyptair Capt. was "at fault for believing the hijacker really had an explosive belt & that he should have had faith in airport security & just carried on to his destination".

Are you quoting from somewhere, or did you just make that up ?

Kulverstukas
30th Mar 2016, 06:37
Kulverstukas- The photo is a cropped version of a posed photo taken by cabin crew at the request of the last passenger to leave. The passenger was to the right and grinning. A Yorkshire man of course- probably thought that he could sell it.

http://foto.russian.fi/photofull/15724.jpg

Dementia and courage

Denti
30th Mar 2016, 06:47
Sir, that Monday Morning quarterback move is badly played.

Might be better to read his full post (http://davidlearmount.com/2016/03/29/back-to-the-aviation-security-stone-age/) on that issue, rather than jumping to conclusions. Or as they say, sometimes it is better to be quiet and thought, well, you know the rest.

And the issue of trust is a real one. Do i trust our western security maniacs (not to mention those in egypt)? Not at all. I can name, off the top of my hat, several easy enough possibilities to get explosives on board of an airplane, and so can everyone that works at an airport. All in all the security measures are merely a big business, and something to keep the unwashed masses calm.

Kulverstukas
30th Mar 2016, 07:08
TASS published big article on followup of hijack.

Just of interest: hijacker communicate with pilots in notes, showing his "suicide belt" via cabin CCTV. It was one of cabin crew who calmed him and talk him into release of paxes. Egypt Civil Aviation minister said that crew will be "rewarded".

MS742 (http://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/3161691)

ExSimGuy
30th Mar 2016, 07:21
All in all the security measures are merely a big business, and something to keep the unwashed masses calm.

If that is true, then it certainly won't be much encouragement for your PAX who indirectly pay your salary :ooh:

CISTRS
30th Mar 2016, 08:18
I'm appalled that the hijacking was referred to as a farce.
This WAS a hijacking, and the perpetrator must be brought to account.

Basil
30th Mar 2016, 09:03
So this captain’s decision not to risk the passengers is understandable.
Not just 'understandable', absolutely correct.

Basil
30th Mar 2016, 09:05
This WAS a hijacking, and the perpetrator must be brought to account.
Couldn't agree more. Throw the book at him as an example to others.

SLFguy
30th Mar 2016, 09:56
I'm not sure who is the biggest idiot the one on the left or the one on the right. You decide!!

You are.

He was trying to ascertain how real the belt was and if there was a 'dead man's handle' built into the device.

G-CPTN
30th Mar 2016, 10:10
Mustafa, who authorities yesterday labelled 'mentally unstable' and 'stupid', broke out from an Egyptian prison in 2011 during the uprising against then president Hosni Mubarak - he was an escaped prisoner whose passport had been blacklisted.

So, how come that he managed to board the flight? - or was a passport not needed for a domestic flight?

Denti
30th Mar 2016, 11:59
was a passport not needed for a domestic flight?

If i don't need a passport (and in 90%+ cases not even an ID) to travel within most of the EU, why would i need a passport to travel domestically in any other country?

Lonewolf_50
30th Mar 2016, 12:05
@ Denti and DaveReidUK
Incorrect attribution removed.
@Denti: did not pick up on your link earlier, thanks for that as well.

falcon12
30th Mar 2016, 12:18
SLFGuy
The idiot on the right is allegedly a Health & Safety auditor. I wouldn't have thought that job includes being trained to spot and deal with a Bomb, or IED, and weapon detection situation. He did, which suggests he is an idiot. A gurning idiot at that, IMO.

Phoenix1969
30th Mar 2016, 13:32
Hi all - see this link to what was said on the flight. EgyptAir Hijack Passenger Reveals Fiasco Over Frozen Chicken Amid Flight Terror (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/egyptair-hijack-details-man-passenger-plane_uk_56fba09ce4b069ef5bff92ae?)

Leaving aside the seriousness of this incident, which clearly raises even more questions than before about the 'up' and 'brewery' level of Egyptian aviation security.

DaveReidUK
30th Mar 2016, 13:39
If the attribution is incorrect, please advise and I'll update/edit.

As I, and others, pointed out in a previous post, you will not find that quote on the BBC website, as it is almost the complete opposite of what DL actually said.

Instead of

"Aviation expert David Learmont tells the BBC that the pilot should not have followed the hijacker's instructions."he in fact suggested that the captain's understandable lack of faith in Egyptian airport security meant that compliance with the hijacker's demands was a far more prudent option than calling his bluff.

Even with hindsight, it's hard to argue with that.

flydive1
30th Mar 2016, 15:29
Leaving aside the seriousness of this incident, which clearly raises even more questions than before about the 'up' and 'brewery' level of Egyptian aviation security.

Did they allow guns or explosive on board of the aircraft?

langleybaston
30th Mar 2016, 15:51
Security pre-boarding IS farcical, as I think any grownup knows. Any biro pen, or indeed pencil, is totally lethal when wielded by someone with knowledge, yet I am allowed through with both, whereas my wife forgot to put our corkscrew/ bottle opener, sommelier-type, in the hold bag and was deprived of it. The blade was a full inch/3cm long, and blunt as buggery.

One of these haha stag party groups, all with pens, could do a very passable hijacking.

I am not complaining about loss of opener: anyone needing a drink will find a way to open a bottle!

Liquid in containers? ........ keep below the limit and add ingredients in the bog.

At every airport security en-route Heathrow-Dubai-Singapore-Brisbane-Perth-Singapore-Dubai it was apparent that the shoe/boot check was random. At one of these, staff were passing ground side to airside without checks, right before my eyes.

Farcical.

jugofpropwash
30th Mar 2016, 15:59
SLFGuy
The idiot on the right is allegedly a Health & Safety auditor. I wouldn't have thought that job includes being trained to spot and deal with a Bomb, or IED, and weapon detection situation. He did, which suggests he is an idiot. A gurning idiot at that, IMO.
I would really like to believe the passenger took the photo so he could send it to the police and show them what the hijacker looked like. Sadly, I doubt that's the case.

Lonewolf_50
30th Mar 2016, 17:09
As I, and others, pointed out in a previous post, you will not find that quote on the BBC website, as it is almost the complete opposite of what DL actually said.

Instead of

he in fact suggested that the captain's understandable lack of faith in Egyptian airport security meant that compliance with the hijacker's demands was a far more prudent option than calling his bluff.

Even with hindsight, it's hard to argue with that.
OK, Thanks Dave, I'll revoke all that.

Basil
30th Mar 2016, 18:15
At what point of the hijack was the selfie taken?

p.s. If taken by another person, is it still a 'selfie'?

flydive1
30th Mar 2016, 18:26
he in fact suggested that the captain's understandable lack of faith in Egyptian airport security meant that compliance with the hijacker's demands was a far more prudent option than calling his bluff.

Same situation but departure airport London or New York, it is suggested that the captain should have just shrugged it off, laughed in his face and continued to destination?

Capot
30th Mar 2016, 18:43
Basil......No.

Chronus
30th Mar 2016, 18:55
Stupid, idiot, imbecile, nut case... matters not what best fits the hijacker. The fact remains he hijacked an aircraft. The sentence for such a crime in the UK as prescribed under the Aviation Security Act 1982 is life imprisonment. I suppose all the journalistic crap will help him no end to avoid trial as non compos mentis, especially if his so called suicide vest turns out to have been fashioned out of a straight jacket. I do sincerely hope.straight jacket or not, there is no such plea in Egypt.That is if the Egyptians manage to get him out of Cyprus .

G-CPTN
30th Mar 2016, 21:19
How soon after departure was the 'hijack' effected?

The suspect allegedly commandeered the aircraft 15 minutes after takeoff from Alexandria. (from Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-egypt-airplane-hijacking-idUSKCN0WW0OM))

A flight from Alexandria to Cairo is scheduled to take 45 minutes (so actual airborn time is probably less - maybe 30-35 minutes).

It's emerging now that this guy has been deported previously from Cyprus after arriving on false papers (reported on BBC Radio Five).

Basil
31st Mar 2016, 09:57
At what point of the hijack was the selfie taken?
Half an hour into the 6 hour hijacking.
In that case the suggestion that the other chap was having a look at the vest is plausible as is the likelyhood that forming a personal bond with the hijacker reduces his will to detonate a viable device.

wiggy
31st Mar 2016, 10:20
In that case the suggestion that the other chap was having a look at the vest is plausible as is the likelyhood that forming a personal bond with the hijacker reduces his will to detonate a viable device.

Sorry Basil but I suspect since the cabin crew will have already interacted with the vest wearer the personal bond bit had already been done. As for our plucky British chap analysing the device, well unless our "hero" has a background he's not owning up to (which I guess might be possible) I think he was merely being a bit of a prat...

crewmeal
31st Mar 2016, 17:45
It seems the selfie guy wasn't so dumb after all. He wanted it done so the pic would identify the hijacker and the crew were in on the act.

alldaysushi
31st Mar 2016, 22:20
I must take exception with the Learmont " Monday morning expert", analysis of the Commanders decision. With an unrestrained psychotic personality on board, whether explosively armed or not, the result is a hijack at least, and carnage at most. The best place for this aircraft was on the deck, in friendly harbor. I have found in years past, CAI, as somewhat lax security wise, I'm sure tightened now, but with underwear, sock and other garment ideas, diversion was the only smart operational option.

Safe Journies...Sushi

wiggy
1st Apr 2016, 06:28
crewmeal

TBH seems to me the "selfie" gentleman has been changing his story every five minutes since he got home and got a flea in his ear from his Mum.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/31/hijack-selfie-briton-returns-scolding-from-his-mother

...and frankly if the crew were "in on the act" and encouraged a passenger to pull this stunt then :mad:

DaveReidUK
1st Apr 2016, 06:30
I must take exception with the Learmont " Monday morning expert", analysis of the Commanders decision.

Except that you haven't. You've agreed with his analysis and conclusions, almost word-for-word in fact (why not read the thread a bit more closely?).

Oh, and it's Learmount.

RealUlli
1st Apr 2016, 06:35
(Disclaimer: SLF)

I wonder if Learmount considers e.g. US airports as safe and would ask the captain to ignore the hijacker.

There are articles like this: EXCLUSIVE: Undercover DHS Tests Find Security Failures at US Airports - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-undercover-dhs-tests-find-widespread-security-failures/story?id=31434881)

(Article from mid-2015)

Assuming the article is reasonably close to the truth (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), as an SLF I'd prefer the captain to err on the side of caution, accede to the demands of the hijacker and land as quickly as practical.

Denti
1st Apr 2016, 07:42
The same happens all over the first world, not to mention the rest of it all, time and time again.

Airport security is largely window dressing, and only good to discourage the stupid and impressionable ones.

So yes, the crew has to make a decision based on the information at hand and weighing in all they can about passenger aircraft safety and security.

Runway101
1st Apr 2016, 10:20
Seems they had a lot of fun with the hijacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9w3fbdBBbA

Kulverstukas
1st Apr 2016, 10:29
Monty Python’s Flying Circus

skridlov
1st Apr 2016, 11:05
The YT video is bizarre. It's interesting that in the comments appended to it there's a split response. One one hand some people believe that the crew and passengers actions served (intentionally?) to reduce the tension in the situation - and thereby reduce the chance of the hijacker acting unpredictably.
Others react as I did when I initially watched it - "these people are idiots..."
But any way you view it, the compulsion to take mobile phone snaps of every situation that occurs in life has become so powerful that it even seems to over-ride the instinct for self-preservation.

Chronus
1st Apr 2016, 17:57
Would he have been taken seriously if it had happened today. The whole thing has become as farcical as that !

jugofpropwash
1st Apr 2016, 19:06
It would seem that if the hijacker was in a good mood (I'm going to prove to my ex just how much I love her and will win her back!!!) then keeping things light and jovial so that he stays in a good mood would be wise. Quite possibly they were pretty sure the belt was a fake, but one way or another they had somebody on board who wasn't playing with a full deck and it was better to play along.

NG1
1st Apr 2016, 22:17
The YT video is bizarre. It's interesting that in the comments appended to it there's a split response. One one hand some people believe that the crew and passengers actions served (intentionally?) to reduce the tension in the situation - and thereby reduce the chance of the hijacker acting unpredictably.
Others react as I did when I initially watched it - "these people are idiots..."
But any way you view it, the compulsion to take mobile phone snaps of every situation that occurs in life has become so powerful that it even seems to over-ride the instinct for self-preservation.

Just a thought: wouldn't it have been helpful for those outside the aircraft trying to solve this situation to have a picture of the hijacker and his "bomb belt"? Sent from a smartphone from inside the plane?

So maybe this was quite a smart move by this guy?

Teevee
2nd Apr 2016, 09:18
How do you know?

Phoenix1969
2nd Apr 2016, 11:52
EgyptAir hijack: 'Why I posed for photograph with hijacker' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/35946425)

Before I saw this, my opinion of Ben Innes was 'idiot' but after I had heard his reasons he went a long way up in my estimation.

stagger
2nd Apr 2016, 12:32
He's had a lot of time to think about why he did it - people's post hoc explanations for why they do things are not always as accurate as they might sound. Not necessarily because they are lying - but we don't always have a great deal of insight into why we do impulsive things.