PDA

View Full Version : LAPL privileges of PPL?

26th Mar 2016, 21:40
As Part-FCL states that an EASA licence also gives the holder the privileges of lower Licences of the same aircraft category, can the holder of a PPL exercise LAPL privileges if his class 2 medical lapses by obtaining a LAPL medical? In the same way for example a CPL holder can exercise PPL privileges when his class 1 medical lapses if he holds a class 2 medical.

BEagle
27th Mar 2016, 06:51
No, unlike a CPL, unfortunately a Part-FCL PPL does not included LAPL privileges. Thus if the Class 2 medical expires, the only choices are either to renew the medical or to regrade the PPL to a LAPL.

This ridiculous situation was highlighted to EASA several years ago and is being addressed by NPA 2014/29. But that hasn't even got as far as the Comment Response Document yet :rolleyes: , so don't expect anything to change this year.

Meikleour
27th Mar 2016, 16:42
BEagle: I am puzzled. I use my ATPL only as a PPL and am over 65 and hence retired. . My current medical certificate gives me a 12 month validity for the PPL and a 24 month one for a LAPL. Does that not mean I can use the medical beyond 12 months as a LAPL downgrade?

Or is this because it is an ATPL downgrade rather than a stand alone PPL?

Level Attitude
28th Mar 2016, 06:58
An ATPL and a CPL contain LAPL privileges which can be exercised provided at least an LAPL medical is held.

A PPL does not (currently) contain LAPL privileges therefore holding an LAPL medical is useless for a PPL holder. At least a Class 2 being required to use it.

ifitaintboeing
28th Mar 2016, 11:46
An ATPL and a CPL contain LAPL privileges which can be exercised provided at least an LAPL medical is held.

This is incorrect, since a CPL or ATPL holder does not hold a LAPL.

If you hold an ATPL, and look in Section II of your licence, your ATPL will show the piece of paper is an ATPL, CPL, and PPL. In order to exercise the privileges of any licence, the appropriate medical is required.

Part-MED (MED.A.030) requires the ATPL and CPL to be validated with a EASA Class One medical, and the PPL to be validated with at least a EASA Class Two medical.

So, whilst you may be able to exercise LAPL privileges with an ATPL in accordance with FCL.505, you may only validate that ATPL licence with a EASA Class One medical.

ifitaint...

Whopity
28th Mar 2016, 12:32
This is incorrect, since a CPL or ATPL holder does not hold a LAPL.
The UK issued licence does not state the privilege, but the Regulation does:

FCL.505 ATPL — Privileges (a) The privileges of the holder of an ATPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to: (1) exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL, a PPL and a CPL;and:
FCL.305 CPL — Privileges and conditions (a) Privileges. The privileges of the holder of a CPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to: (1) exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL and a PPL;
but, the PPL does not, however; if they hold an FI rating, they can teach for a licence they do not hold!:
FCL.205.A PPL(A) — Privileges (a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations. (b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) with instructor or examiner privileges may receive remuneration for: (1) the provision of flight instruction for the LAPL(A) or PPL(A);

ifitaintboeing
28th Mar 2016, 12:59
That's correct. It says in FCL.505 that an ATPL holder may exercise the privileges of a LAPL, a PPL and a CPL. However, that ATPL holder may only validate that ATPL licence with a EASA Class One medical in accordance with MED.A.030.

ifitaint...

Whopity
28th Mar 2016, 14:10
But it does not say that the holder of the licence canot exercise one of the categories on the licence with an appropriate level medical and the CAA has stated in writing that this is acceptable.