PDA

View Full Version : Sherlowe Airstrip threatened now with permanent closure

poetpilot
25th Jun 2002, 14:46
Thanks to Gillian for posting in the Flyer Forum NIMBYs thread the following:

Author: Gillian (med285.bham.ac.uk)
Date: 25-06-2002 13:21

.....And finally, just a heads up to those in the Telford area. The local plan (the document that says what is and is not allowed in terms of planning) is now being updated. You can get copies from the Borough Council. At the moment it contains a provision saying "there shall be no flying from a private strip in the Telford and Wrekin area." Public consultation has now begun. If you want that provision removed - you MUST write in and object to it, otherwise it will stay.

SKYYACHT
25th Jun 2002, 15:55
Poet Pilot,

Do you subscribe to Action for Airfields. They issue a fairly regular bulletin that enable PPLs and others to attmpt to rally forces to fight the NIMBYs. The General Aviation Awareness Council also fights such things, as does AOPA. I feel that my annual membership to AOPA is worth paying - or there will be nowhere left to fly to?!

I always send letters of protest, and have campaigned for Rochester, the West Sussex Local Plan and others.

I will drop an e-mail or letter if you e-mail me the details.

Regards

Biker Pilot
25th Jun 2002, 18:04
How do I go about putting together a letter? As a low hour PPL, I have almost zero knowledge of airfields, etc, in the UK (after a few hours over here I ended up finishing on a 3 week course in the States) and don't really know what I should be saying. I wouldn't want to do more damage by saying something stupid.

:confused:

BP

ganet
25th Jun 2002, 22:28
A4A alert (http://www.airfields.org.uk/alerts/telfordlp_020625.htm) now posted which includes some background info that might help inform any response. The important thing is to write in your own words. It doesn't have to be a thesis.

The issue here, as with many councils, is the lack of balance in aviation policy. Recreational flying is a legitimate activity and each case should be judged on its merits, not dismissed out of hand as a matter of policy.