PDA

View Full Version : PPL book request

Lynx Boy
25th Jun 2002, 14:14
I wondered if anyone might help. I left the Royal Navy nearly three years ago having effectively completed the full Lynx flying training syllabus. I am now about to embark on self-funded ATPL training following the modular route (I’ve been stuck in an office in London since and hate it!). Despite my experience, the JAR regulations stipulate that I must sit all ground exams, including those for the PPL. Whilst I am confident that I shouldn’t have too much trouble, I know I am rusty in a few areas. Can anyone advise which books I should be reading for the PPL ground exams?

Also, is there a scheme by which we at PPRuNe share or re-sell our books once an individual has completed his PPL? I don’t think I’ll need them for long because I intend to go straight into ATPL groundschool afterwards and don’t want to fork out two hundred quid just to read them once.

Thanks in advance.

Evo7
25th Jun 2002, 14:23
Given your experience, I'm sure you will have no problems at all. The PPL exams aren't hard.

Are you going for an ATPL(A) or (H)? I don't really know about the latter, but if it's the fixed wing then I'd recommend the PPL Confuser - a search here will show you how highly most student PPL(A)s rate it. A quick run through that will give you a feel for the exams, and highlight any areas you need to brush up on. After that a quick read through the Trevor Thom or Jeremy Pratt series of books will give you all the information you need. There are plenty of copies around, and you see second hand sets advertised frequently - just make sure they're up to date.

I think that the PPL(H) shares some of the exams with the PPL(A), so the confuser may still be useful.

You're welcome to borrow my copy of the Confuser - I've finished the exams now - but I wouldn't mind it back once you're done. Let me know an address :)

FlyingForFun
25th Jun 2002, 14:23
Hi Lynx,

The Trevor Thom books are excellent. You could use all of them except book 1 (which covers the flying training itself) and book 5 (which covers the IMC test - I think that's number 5, anyway).

However, I'd recommend that you don't get the R/T one (book 7 I think) - which is uncharacteristically crap. CAP413 is what you should learn your R/T from.

Also, get yourself a copy of the PPL Confuser, which contains sample questions. Study from Thom, then do the Confuser tests to make sure you've learnt the subject well enough before paying for the exams.

I don't know about any specific scheme to borrow or buy books - I'm keeping mine, because they're much more convenient for looking stuff up in than my ATPL notes, as long as the info I need is included in the PPL sylabus, obviously. But people do, from time to time, sell their books, especially if they've decided not to continue flying for whatever reason - you could try advertising on the "wanted" board at your local flying club?

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

sennadog
25th Jun 2002, 14:29
It may be worth doing a search at your local library for the Trevor Thom books first. Failing that email me.:)

Evo7
25th Jun 2002, 14:31
FFF - For what it's worth there's an updated Thom 7 which is more useful than the older one that I've got (and I suspect you had too). CAP413 is undoubtedly better, I agree, but I found it rather dull.

Thom books 5 and 6 aren't needed either. Book 5 is mainly for the IMC exam (at least, I've done all of the PPL exams without needing a copy), and 6 is far too complicated for the trivial PPL Human Factors exam and the wrong one for the ATPLs (my instructor recommends "Human Factors for Pilots" by Green et al. for that).

Therefore it's only really books 2-4 and CAP413 - should be less than £50 second hand...

FlyingForFun
25th Jun 2002, 15:04
Agree - book 6 does go into more detail than is really needed. But I don't know of a better text book to use for the PPL exam - what did you use? My instructor actually recommended that I learn for this exam from the Confuser because Thom was so much more detailed than required, but I wasn't happy about doing that.

Didn't know that book 7 had been updated, though - thanks for that!

FFF
--------------

Evo7
25th Jun 2002, 15:21
I used Thom as well, but with hindsight I'd forget the book and do Human Factors from the Confuser. I know you shouldn't really do that - you definitely shouldn't with any of the other exams - but the PPL level exam covers so little material that spending £18 on Thom's book is IMHO a waste of money.

At ATPL level all the questions are based on material in "Human Factors for Pilots" - or so my instructor says - so if you're heading in that direction Green et al. is supposedly the one to go for.

SKYYACHT
25th Jun 2002, 15:50
Be wary of buying second-hand books. Theregs tend to change, and only a recent edition may contain the most up to date information.

Cheers

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 18:01
Yup, make sure they have the 'Complies with JAR-FCL' flash on the front!
They ALL give you more information than is needed to pass the exams... but still worth knowing. The navigation book (number 3) is the one to be careful with. If you read it it seems incredibly complicated. In actual fact it's all fairly straight forward in practise, and it's the practise that you need to know.
I'm with FlyingForFun on keeping the books. I've found them really useful to refer to from time to time.
Good luck :)

Evo7
25th Jun 2002, 18:02
Just you, a glass of wine and the Confuser Air Law exam, AerBabe...? ;) :)

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 18:57
Well sure, if you're asking ;)

Lynx Boy
27th Jun 2002, 11:30
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've decided to buy Thom 2,3,4 and 6 just now - I may get others as required. I'll also try to get my hands on the Confuser.
Cheers,
LB