PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise starts PPL(H)

Qwikstop
8th Mar 2016, 19:40
Only the Daily Mail can put it so poetically:

Tom appeared to relish the chance to take to the skies in the craft. In typical action hero fashion, he reached up through the roof of the helicopter to inspect the rotor blades and used his upper-body strength to pull himself up for a closer peek at the tail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3480870/PICTURE-EXCLUSIVE-Mission-Impossible-actor-Tom-Cruise-looks-excited-enjoys-helicopter-lesson-Surrey.html

Nice way to start in an N-reg Squirrel.

Peter3127
8th Mar 2016, 20:24
Only Tom Cruise and Kim Jong-Un have every successfully picked up and hovered an AS350 ab initio. :8

Self loading bear
8th Mar 2016, 20:46
Only Tom Cruise and Kim Jong-Un have every successfully picked up and hovered an AS350 ab initio. :8

It is also amazing both can reach the pedals.
They must have worn high sole boots like Kim's role model Josef S.;);)

Cheers SLB

vaqueroaero
9th Mar 2016, 01:33
How does this happen?

He did his commercial check ride in Grand Prairie, Texas on February 27th............but took his first ever helicopter lesson yesterday in England.

Truly Mission Impossible!

mickjoebill
9th Mar 2016, 04:39
How does this happen?

He did his commercial check ride in Grand Prairie, Texas on February 27th............but took his first ever helicopter lesson yesterday in England.

Truly Mission Impossible!

Leave him alone:), on and off screen Tom is a very positive influence on the public's perception of helicopters.

Given his desire to do his own stunts, I'll bet the farm that Tom has a shot in mind where he will be featured flying solo.

Mickjoebill

Noiseboy
9th Mar 2016, 06:54
You're misreading the headline, it's his first helicopter lesson 'in Surrey'

md 600 driver
9th Mar 2016, 07:22
Only Tom Cruise and Kim Jong-Un have every successfully picked up and hovered an AS350 ab initio. :8 not to sure about that the uk military use them for initio training

charliegolf
9th Mar 2016, 13:57
Would he go to Halfords for any old booster cushion, or would it have to be an approved one?

CG

evansb
9th Mar 2016, 14:14
Tom Cruise drives all manner of exotic and domestic automobiles with no problem. Why? Because he is 5 feet, 7 inches tall, (without shoes). Flying a mass-produced French-built helicopter shouldn't be a problem.

whoknows idont
9th Mar 2016, 16:27
Tom Cruise drives all manner of exotic and domestic automobiles with no problem. Why? Because he is 5 feet, 7 inches tall, (without shoes). Flying a mass-produced French-built helicopter shouldn't be a problem.

As long as he reaches the o/h panel... "copilot, crank her to 100!" :D

twinstar_ca
9th Mar 2016, 16:46
As long as he doesn't try to drive this one inside the train tunnel!!!! :eek::eek: All kidding aside, if I had his resources, I'd do half Bell 47, and finish with turbine... Guess he accepted the mission... :ok::}

Ascend Charlie
9th Mar 2016, 18:38
Back in 2003, I took him for a lesson in a B47, and he was quite a capable student. He should be, having a P-51 Mustang and other planks up to Gulfstream size in his garage.

He enjoyed the Huey more, though, and wanted me to throw it around a bit. Just a boy at heart, and a REALLY nice guy.:ok:

FLY 7
9th Mar 2016, 19:18
Just a boy at heart, and a REALLY nice guy.

And a huge contributor to the British film industry. Makes a lot of films and employs a lot of people here.

I thought he had a rotary licence, and certainly must have spent hundreds of hours travelling in and working with helicopters.

First helicopter flying lesson? I very much doubt it.

Noah Zark.
9th Mar 2016, 19:38
A question from the great unknowing, if you please. Why an N reg machine instead of G-? Surely there are some in Surrey.

krypton_john
9th Mar 2016, 19:40
... 'cos he has an FAA licence?

Hedski
11th Mar 2016, 20:26
I'm just curious where in Surrey the location is? I know the aircraft is Denham based.

RyRy
13th Mar 2016, 00:03
Wait.... I thought an "Operating Thetan" of his caliber was able to fly unaided, like Peter Pan.

Evil Twin
13th Mar 2016, 11:31
Tom Cruise starts PPL(H)

So what.......................

chopper2004
9th Aug 2017, 07:01
Tom Cruise Begins Helicopter Training for Top Gun 2 | MovieWeb (http://movieweb.com/top-gun-2-maverick-tom-cruise-helicopter-training/#_=_)

Cheers

Bell_ringer
9th Aug 2017, 08:18
The specific helicopter is said to be close to the controls of the F-14 Tomcat fighter jets that Maverick piloted in the original movie back in 1986.

That's some incredible journalism! :E

EMS R22
9th Aug 2017, 09:50
No overspeeds this time Maverick!

chopper2004
9th Aug 2017, 12:07
That's some incredible journalism! :E

Maybe he should take the Robinson Safety Course as back in 1999, when Civil Helicopter did an article on the RHSC the opening line of the article was "This is onsidered to be like the Top Gun course for Robinson pilots" or something along the lines of this

cheers

Hughesy
10th Aug 2017, 08:49
No overspeeds this time Maverick!

450rrpm wasn't it?
Maybe waving at a mig while in a 5G inverted roll haha

Non-PC Plod
11th Aug 2017, 06:38
"I feel the need....the need for precision hovering!"

Bell_ringer
11th Aug 2017, 08:11
"I feel the need....the need for precision hovering!"

Negative ghost-rider, the pattern is full :}

mickjoebill
15th Aug 2017, 05:21
Tom Cruise Begins Helicopter Training for Top Gun 2 | MovieWeb (http://movieweb.com/top-gun-2-maverick-tom-cruise-helicopter-training/#_=_)

Cheers

Ppruners were tipped to this on 9th March 2016 :)

In recent reports of the legal ramifications of the fixed wing crash in Columbia on Tom's last movie, mention is made that Tom was present during a preflight discussion between the three pilots that were later to crash.

A short time later Tom travelled by Squirrel back to base ahead of the fixed wing which clipped a ridge.

To his credit, such close proximity to tragedy has apparently not dettered Tom from flying.

An above average report linked below, goes into great detail about the crash, the relationships and liscences of all those involved including Tom who was at controls of the Aerostar during filming.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/two-dead-a-tom-cruise-movie-shoot-a-plane-crash-colombia-lawsuits-a-survivor-speaks-1021934

Mjb

Ascend Charlie
15th Aug 2017, 06:23
He might be resting a sore leg for a while, before pushing any tail rotor pedals.

Bell_ringer
15th Aug 2017, 11:13
He might be resting a sore leg for a while, before pushing any tail rotor pedals.

That was a bit of a hard landing from a hover, it should polish out :}