PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2

Pages : [1] 2 3

roundhouse
8th Mar 2016, 02:04
As you already know, it's up on AFAP. Take aim and fire.

lee_apromise
8th Mar 2016, 12:26
A question to those folks flying in Qlink:

Qlink is currently recruiting for Level 1 trainees (those without ATPL theory passes).

Would they accept a person who's been flying heavy turboprop in overseas but only with CPL + MECIR (no ATPL theory passes) for Level 1 trainee position?

Or is it better to complete ATPL theories on my own and apply for direct entry?

Cheers guys.

pilotchute
8th Mar 2016, 20:02
If you read the criteria the level one entry requires only 1 atpl theory credit

Density
8th Mar 2016, 22:03
A question to those folks flying in Qlink:

Qlink is currently recruiting for Level 1 trainees (those without ATPL theory passes).

Would they accept a person who's been flying heavy turboprop in overseas but only with CPL + MECIR (no ATPL theory passes) for Level 1 trainee position?

Or is it better to complete ATPL theories on my own and apply for direct entry?

Cheers guys.

Depends how much you want in...you probably have a better chance of scoring an interview at least with level 1 traineeship if you have hf atpl at least as thats what they're currently advertising. The only real advantage in waiting as I see it is if you have 2000 or more hours slightly better pay.

lee_apromise
8th Mar 2016, 23:50
Depends how much you want in...you probably have a better chance of scoring an interview at least with level 1 traineeship if you have hf atpl at least as thats what they're currently advertising. The only real advantage in waiting as I see it is if you have 2000 or more hours slightly better pay.

Is Qlink providing in-house training (outsourced to other schools) to complete the rest of ATPL theories (except ATPL human factors) for Level 1 trainees?

or Level 1 trainee is going to fly Dash-8 without completing all ATPL theories like Air NZ Link FOs?

Thanks in advance.

Going Nowhere
9th Mar 2016, 00:25
There's currently no in-house training for ATPL subjects and I can't see the company paying for that.

ClassCharlie
9th Mar 2016, 02:02
As I read it, you don't require ATPL HUF for level 1, it merely states a "Pass in a Australian Human Factors Theory". This sounds like CPL level is acceptable.

Obviously the more you have the better...

capt spud
9th Mar 2016, 03:08
When do applications close? I couldn't find a date specified.

johncognito
9th Mar 2016, 04:00
70 hours PIC? Good to know toddlers are up front :ugh::ugh:
Guess i'll take my 700 pic elsewhere :}\
:=

lee_apromise
9th Mar 2016, 12:58
As I read it, you don't require ATPL HUF for level 1, it merely states a "Pass in a Australian Human Factors Theory". This sounds like CPL level is acceptable.

Obviously the more you have the better...

That's what I thought too. Looks like HUF req. is for NZ license holders.

Still no idea what they wanna do with Level 1 trainees. :8

RHSandLovingIt
9th Mar 2016, 18:47
Hmmmm on AFAP...
Pass in Australian ATPL Human Factors Theory

On QLink page:
Passes in all Australian ATPL Theory subjects (Level 2 only)
Pass in a Australian Human Factors theory (Level 1 only)

Don't AFAP just copy/paste ads they receive from employers?

ATPL HF makes more sense to me.

In any case, I'd stick in an app except for the bit about NZCAA licence holders needing to convert to CASA licence before applying... That's NOT a quick or easy process from what I hear! :P

rmcdonal
9th Mar 2016, 21:40
I thought they did some deal a few months ago with UNSW to provide Lvl 1 Trainees. UNSW to offer ?QantasLink approved? pilot training scheme | Australian Aviation (http://australianaviation.com.au/2015/08/unsw-to-offer-qantaslink-approved-pilot-training-scheme/)
All previous trainee-ships have had all of the required qualifications taught outside of the airline before actually joining (some as an inclusion in the traineeship). ATPL CMEIR included. Rex would be the only airline with the capability to train a pilot to ATPL in house (and maybe some of the smaller regionals with attached flying schools), everyone else outsources it to a dedicated flying school.
If you want an airline job and haven't sat the ATPL theory exams you are kidding yourself.

gordonfvckingramsay
9th Mar 2016, 21:42
Safety First | Qantas (http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/safety-first/global/en)

framer
9th Mar 2016, 23:00
70 hours PIC? Good to know toddlers are up front
Guess i'll take my 700 pic elsewhere \

Nearly.....70 is baby, 700 is toddler ( enough confidence to negotiate the slippery footpath, not enough experience to do it slowly) .
Ps, half tongue in cheek, half true....I'm sure you're better than I was at 700 PIC :) I was a menace!

Ilikeflying
10th Mar 2016, 04:37
Does anyone feel like not applying for this in anticipation of mainline recruiting?

wishiwasupthere
10th Mar 2016, 04:45
I see Cobham advertised today for SAR and Dash 8 pilots. I get the feeling that there will be more ad's from companies of a similar size in the next little while as the major's begin to ramp up hiring.

Now fingers crossed for no bird flu/SARs/9-11/economic collapse/whatever else that tends to kill off hiring booms.

Density
10th Mar 2016, 05:09
Does anyone feel like not applying for this in anticipation of mainline recruiting?

You haven't been in aviation for very long have you to know how it works?

lee_apromise
10th Mar 2016, 06:52

Have you ever gone through any recession? It's not you choose the job mate. It's the job that either chooses you or not. :=

log0008
10th Mar 2016, 07:19
Not my personal situation but just wanted to get peoples thoughts, a pilot could have achieved the level one requirements by just doing training to CPL + MECIR without any work experience - any chance these people could get in? Or would it be expected to have at least some GA employment?

mikewil
10th Mar 2016, 07:54
Does QLink have the required process in place to eventually upgrade these trainees to command positions?

I thought only REX was able to offer ICUS time to meet the minimums for command...

rmcdonal
10th Mar 2016, 08:38
Does QLink have the required process in place to eventually upgrade these trainees to command positions? Fairly sure they had that in place before Rex did. They can even do ATPL check rides now.
A 150 CPL pilot with IR and ATPL theory could start at QLink and in 5 years be in the left seat, likely less if they try hard to find hours (not hard up North). QLinks training department is good at what they do, and most have the experience of training the previous generations of trainees.
I really really really hope there is no maximum hour limit. I'm also keen to here from any ex cadets or current insiders that might have an answer to that. Cadets or Trainees? QLink doesn't have a Cadet program, it ran a babysitting program for Qantas's Cadets for about 8+ years.
Previous trainees have been dropped into lower courses than their hrs would have suggested. So yes it has been possible to be a trainee when you were close to Direct Entry, or 'in-between' the 2 options.

log0008
10th Mar 2016, 09:54
For those asking it states Pass in Australian ATPL Human Factors Theory, not sure if that was amended to make it clearer

lee_apromise
10th Mar 2016, 11:17
For those asking it states Pass in Australian ATPL Human Factors Theory, not sure if that was amended to make it clearer

Where does it say? It still says "Pass in a Australian Human Factors theory (Level 1 only)" on Qantas Careers. Just genuinely curious.

On a side note, does anybody know a good place to convert FAA ME-CPL/IR to CASA CPL/MECIR in Perth? Time to get back home it seems. If anyone has any recommendation, PM me plz. Cheers.

log0008
10th Mar 2016, 18:56
On the AFAP ad for me

Big_saint
10th Mar 2016, 21:29
Where does it say? It still says "Pass in a Australian Human Factors theory (Level 1 only)" on Qantas Careers. Just genuinely curious.

It will be a requirement to have an ATPL pass in HUF, as with Part 61 it will then allow them to Issue your MCC based on your sim training.

mikewil
12th Mar 2016, 22:48
Has anyone received any responses or updates on their applications yet?

mikewil
12th Mar 2016, 23:26
Also the qantas website was changed on Thursday to specify HUF ATPL rather than just a pass in Australian HUF

An interesting requirement. Not many applicants will have just this, as once you start your ATPL theory it all needs to be completed in a set time to remain valid. 2 years?

lee_apromise
13th Mar 2016, 07:01
Nope. But can hardly expect to hear back from them until they either close applications or if you have way more experience than the minimums. Also the qantas website was changed on Thursday to specify HUF ATPL rather than just a pass in Australian HUF.

One can get rejected for having more hours than the published minimum? what kind of logic is that?

Btw, does any insider know how long this recruitment will keep on going? May be until QF mainline starts S/O recruitment?

Average Joe
13th Mar 2016, 09:35
One can get rejected for having more hours than the published minimum? what kind of logic is that?

Btw, does any insider know how long this recruitment will keep on going? May be until QF mainline starts S/O recruitment?

Between April and December, about 70 to be hired. It won't stop there though.

ConfigFull
13th Mar 2016, 10:37
AJ,

I thought QL were overstocked - what's changed/changing!? Good news for the rest of us I guess.

Density
13th Mar 2016, 10:45
AJ,

I thought QL were overstocked - what's changed/changing!? Good news for the rest of us I guess.

Massive shortage for the last 6 to 12 months and looks like it is only going to get worse...many FO's already reached their annual quota and having a well deserved break. The problem is training a newbie is not a 3 or 4 day gig it takes several months and within that time Emirates and Cathay or other operators are taking more. But yes good for people that want to join!

Average Joe
13th Mar 2016, 10:45
AJ,

CF,

You'd be correct if you said that a few months ago. This industry is more cyclical than my bank balance.

Going Nowhere
13th Mar 2016, 11:01
Time to command still 3-5/6 years depending on the base.

Still plenty of FO's in the queue for a command so very pre-mature to start talking time to command...

TaoQ400
13th Mar 2016, 20:29
I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works.I just thought j would mention that Qantas Link has been in South Africa looking for Dash 8 Q400 first officers.Apparently 30 guys interviewed already and still going on.

Beech58
14th Mar 2016, 06:59
Bit shy on the twin time for direct entry but got triple all the other requirements, would they be strictly looking for newbies to train or would they rather people with a few thousand hours, multiple renewals, turbine time and most of the twin?
Hire a twin and get the hours or apply or do both that's the question isn't it?
Cheers

pilotchute
14th Mar 2016, 23:26
Over 2000TT and 1000 S/E turbine command isnt enough for direct entry FO it seems!

Beech58
20th Mar 2016, 23:46
Anyone got any replies yet?

YCOY
29th Mar 2016, 06:11
Hi People.

Has one done a QantasLink web interview? Trying chase up what's involved.

YCOY

Density
29th Mar 2016, 06:32
Patience grasshopper
Has anyone received anything yet? I've been tapping into all my resources that claim to be in the know, but this time around they know nothing!

Anyone got the inside line on the traineeships and what QLink are planning?

Cheers in advance.

eukeybound
8th Apr 2016, 05:40
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything in the last week or so. My sources have said they were winding up to hit courses hard with alternating 300 and 400 courses every 6 weeks, but nobody seems to be sure of when they will start even interviewing people.

training wheels
8th Apr 2016, 21:55
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything in the last week or so. My sources have said they were winding up to hit courses hard with alternating 300 and 400 courses every 6 weeks, but nobody seems to be sure of when they will start even interviewing people.

I know a few direct entry applicants who have done the SHL tests, video interview and now waiting for the face to face interview and sim ride. Perhaps they're going through the pool of direct entry applicants first before they start with traineeships?

eukeybound
8th Apr 2016, 23:57
I know a few direct entry applicants who have done the SHL tests, video interview and now waiting for the face to face interview and sim ride. Perhaps they're going through the pool of direct entry applicants first before they start with traineeships?

Ok yes that sounds fair enough :) Fell into the trap of thinking they would be calling within a few weeks of submitting a resume. Still getting used to the different hiring practices in Aviation :p

LongLats
9th Apr 2016, 12:18
They don't even have any idea where they're going to train these "trainees" yet. The UNSW course they boasted about months ago hasn't even been approved by CASA yet (or it has been approved only very recently). This traineeship they advertised is very premature and it probably isn't fair on you guys by getting your hopes up for something that isn't even close to being set in stone logistically. Apparently the training department didn't even know about it until a matter of days after it was advertised. In addition to all this, there were an overwhelming amount of applicants, so even if this new traineeship does eventuate there's a long wait ahead of you all yet I think while they sift through the hundreds of resumes. I wouldn't be surprised if most of you qualify for direct entry FO before they catch up to their ambitious plans. They're far less organised than you would think.

Fujiroll76
10th Apr 2016, 04:48
While it is quit a big lure for young players. The easy way out isn't always the best way. Off to the bush, do your time like we all have. I wouldn't hold your breath for any recruitment with bare CPL just yet ..there's still many in the pool with 1000 plus TT

LongLats
10th Apr 2016, 11:26
That is quite disheartening to hear...

I know.. I'm sorry to bear bad news. But don't give up hope. I'm sure the program will eventually come to fruition. And they do need a LOT of pilots. Just keep on flying and updating your application. There will be plenty of movement across the industry over the next few years.

mikewil
10th Apr 2016, 11:55
I know.. I'm sorry to bear bad news.

Just wondering what your source of this information is?

Do you have any idea when they will supposedly have everything in order?

Going Nowhere
11th Apr 2016, 01:47
The training department is running flat out at the moment. The 400 dept is ramping up but the 300 sim has been working flat out training all the JQ NZ crew.

Keeping each ground school to under 10 pilots will hopefully stop the bottlenecks.

Having said that, in the past there has been very little 'fat' in the timetable of the training. All it took was someone to go sick or require an extra sim or line training and the whole show went to ****.

Hopefully this time around things will be a bit better organised.

As it's been said previously, a ground school every 6 weeks for the rest of the year. That's the MINIMUM that QLink will require. Subject to demands, the plan is to place most onto the Q300 in SYD/BNE and possibly ADL. There are also a few courses for the Q400 into BNE and CNS, but I believe that those have already been filled.

Good luck on the app, don't sweat too much if you don't hear anything for a long time or that the wheels of progress turn at a glacial pace.

It'll get you used to life on the inside! :E:ugh:

Crash8
11th Apr 2016, 02:17
Going Nowhere is spot on.

Also remember that we "expecting" a shortage. Latest recruitment will bring us back closer to base establishment numbers. There has been no exodus yet, cadets haven't moved and only a couple to the sandpit. There is also talk of another fleet review which may have an impact.

Make sure all your ducks are in a row, and keep updating. Patience grasshoppers. It will happen. Just not as quickly as you'd like or some people believe.

Jc31
11th Apr 2016, 02:22
Going Nowhere is spot on.

Also remember that we "expecting" a shortage. Latest recruitment will bring us back closer to base establishment numbers. There has been no exodus yet, cadets haven't moved and only a couple to the sandpit. There is also talk of another fleet review which may have an impact.

Make sure all your ducks are in a row, and keep updating. Patience grasshoppers. It will happen. Just not as quickly as you'd like or some people believe.

What impact will the fleet review have?

Crash8
11th Apr 2016, 02:34
What impact will the fleet review have?

If and when? Who knows.

Going Nowhere
11th Apr 2016, 03:18
Fleet review could have something to do with the number and location of the 200/300 fleet. No doubt linked to the rumoured expansion of JQ NZ Regional.

Recently the BNE-based Q300 fleet went from 4 aircraft to cover 3 lines of flying to 2 aircraft for 2 lines of flying. The recent rationalisation of the QLD flying had an extra Q400 covering the flying. An all Q400 base in BNE would also create crewing efficiencies.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure the Q400 can go into Charleville and Thangool now.

That would see the 'classics' based in SYD & ADL. The WYA route loads will be interesting given the local economy lately.

All the above is an opinion only so take it with a grain of salt.

Di_Vosh
11th Apr 2016, 05:37
IMHO, any fleet review will likely result in more flying given to Cobham, as our management are struggling with around 300 cancelled sectors per month. This is around 3 times any other carrier (with J* recent performance excluded, and they seem to have sorted out their problems in February).

A large percentage of these cancellations are due to lack of crew.

That is quite disheartening to hear...

If you're planning to work for Qlink, get used to feeling disheartened.

DIVOSH!

Going Nowhere
11th Apr 2016, 06:11
From July the Q400 is programmed to take over more of the GLT/ROK/MKY flying from the 717, this was meant to happen from April, but recent crewing problems seem to have delayed things. The spare 717 capacity will then go onto BNE-TSV/ISA/CNS allowing the 737's to be redeployed. Qantas.com.au seems to have all the new scheduled loaded.

Current loads don't really support moving more flying to the 717 unless they want to fly around 1/2-2/3 empty all day. The 717 reliability has been woeful lately, especially on the J-class fleet. I don't think this has anything to do with Cobham though as I believe that they no longer do the bulk of the maintenance.

The bulk of the sectors that have been cancelled ex-BNE have been due to lack of FA's. This has given the Q400 FO's some mild reprieve.

mikewil
13th Apr 2016, 01:40
OK. Looks like things might be moving. A mate of mine has got the online psychometric test invitation. He has a week to get it done.

Are you able to give more info on what kind of previous flying experience your mate has and his age.

lee_apromise
13th Apr 2016, 16:31
0% of getting Q400 for those joining this year or early next year?

Going Nowhere
13th Apr 2016, 19:06
http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/573890-qantaslink-application-onhold.html

Already covered in this thread also

Homesick-Angel
14th Apr 2016, 00:30
Recently did the psychometric tests.
Heard back pretty quickly from initial submission.
Get some practice in for those tests as you will have 14 days to do them.

Most of it is straightforward. The numerical test is challenging from a time frame perspective . look for practice exams. There are some on the SMH website.

My "word on the street" is as shoddy as anyone else's, but they are ramping up to meet the expected demand when Qantas mainline starts hiring again mid-late this year, and also to fill crew shortages on some of the aforementioned routes.

Unless they get a second training plan outside of FTA, it will take until the end of the year to start getting to non direct entries. 10-15 per group 6 weeks (ish) at a time.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.. Slowly..
However, I suspect the next 18 months will be the biggest hiring boom in 6 years in Aus. Good for everyone who's ready to move at all levels..

outoftime
14th Apr 2016, 03:10
0% of getting Q400 for those joining this year or early next year?

Negative.

A185F
14th Apr 2016, 06:33
Does anyone know if they are still recruiting for the Jetstar NZ operation or is that all done and dusted ?

If so how are they fitting the recruitment and training in with the Qlink requirements ?

anonfly
21st Apr 2016, 08:23
Currently going through direct FO process myself. Have been invited to stage three.
Panel Interview and Sim session. Have been given some dates to choose from. No other info was given. More info will be given once my availability is confirmed.
So process is starting. Haven't heard anything back yet, as they must be sorting out everyone and then will be given a date to attend.
Good luck everyone.

lee_apromise
22nd Apr 2016, 02:14
Anybody still doesn't know what Qlink is gonna do with Trainee Level 1 guys? Is Qlink going to send them to UNSW to finish the rest of ATPL written tests? or give these dudes a certain time frame to complete all ATPL written tests?

lee_apromise
22nd Apr 2016, 04:45
Is your cover letter and resume written as well as your post?

What's your problem? Is it a crime to ask a question nowadays? And yeah, they are written. Why don't you just bugger off if you can't offer an answer?

lee_apromise
22nd Apr 2016, 06:17
Verbal reasoning fail.

Whatever you say, you knee-jerk disrespectful dumb arse. If you ain't offering an answer and be helpful to another, just keep your mouth shut and mind your own business.

wishiwasupthere
22nd Apr 2016, 06:22
Whatever you say, you knee-jerk disrespectful dumb arse.

Personality test fail.

lee_apromise
22nd Apr 2016, 06:28
Personality test fail.

Why thank you. I don't stand still and say nothing to those who offend me first when I didn't do anything wrong. Perhaps you think to differ. :ok:

HappyBandit
22nd Apr 2016, 07:05
Is your cover letter and your resume written as well as your post is written?
Your English grammar is almost as good! :-)

Yes you better get a handle of using the correct phraseology! "Pull fuel-hyd off handle.....pull" can be a mouthful in the heat of the moment :-)

Di_Vosh
22nd Apr 2016, 07:20
lee_apromise

Here's a top tip:

If your response to

Is your cover letter and your resume written as well as your post is written?

is

What's your problem? Is it a crime to ask a question nowadays? And yeah, they are written. Why don't you just bugger off if you can't offer an answer?

and

Whatever you say, you knee-jerk disrespectful dumb arse. If you ain't offering an answer and be helpful to another, just keep your mouth shut and mind your own business.

don't bother coming here.

Your grammar and spelling were poor. However, the response from AreaRuleAce was about a 2 out of 10, as far as criticism goes.

What are you going to say during your interview if the interviewer gives you a bit of a rough time (they've been known to do that). Are you going to flare up at him? Tell him to bugger off? Call him a disrespectful dumb arse?

How about if you get through. During your endorsement training your Sim trainer gets stuck into you about some poor performance? Going to flare up at him/her?

You wont last long.

Learn how to deal with criticism.

DIVOSH!

Going Nowhere
22nd Apr 2016, 07:34
If you make through the selection process, You'll be eaten alive during your training (classroom/sim/line) with an attitude like that. :=

As has been mentioned before, QLink's HR and Training departments are running flat out. They probably don't know for sure yet how it'll pan out. Once they have a concrete process, no doubt they let UNSW know.

lee_apromise
22nd Apr 2016, 07:39
Di_Vosh

Thank you for your kind remarks and your advice is fully appreciated and I do mean it.

As an ex-engineer and ex-F/O trying to get back to flying after 2 years of recovery from surgeries, I do know when to bend over during interviews and type rating training. I am not an idiot.

I do admit I lost my cool and it is probably because I am under a lot of pressure lately.

Nevertheless, I fully recognise my childish behaviour and I do apologise to the rest of PPRuNe fellow members for disturbing the peace of this great forum.

Lee

Your grammar and spelling were poor. However, the response from AreaRuleAce was about a 2 out of 10, as far as criticism goes.

What are you going to say during your interview if the interviewer gives you a bit of a rough time (they've been known to do that). Are you going to flare up at him? Tell him to bugger off? Call him a disrespectful dumb arse?

How about if you get through. During your endorsement training your Sim trainer gets stuck into you about some poor performance? Going to flare up at him/her?

You wont last long.

Learn how to deal with criticism.

DIVOSH!

VH-FTS
22nd Apr 2016, 07:39
For those freaking out about traineeship interview dates, have you considered there is no rush while they are getting a good number of direct entry applications?

mikewil
22nd Apr 2016, 22:10
For those freaking out about traineeship interview dates, have you considered there is no rush while they are getting a good number of direct entry applications? There must be a reason that they want both direct entry and traineeship applicants employed within the group.

I would suggest that there would never be a shortage of direct entry applicants in Australia with 700+ hours of command.

If they are short on applicants with twin or turbine time, they could still just reduce the direct entry requirements for those parameters and still get a truckload of applicants who are way more experienced than a fresh CPL with 150 hours (once again, I would be surprised if there is ever a shortage of applicants with 200+ hours of twin time anyway).

mikewil
23rd Apr 2016, 01:12
The only reason they would want trainees in the group is because they recently incorporated a lower pay scale for less experienced pilots into the EBA.

Could it also be that they consider the less experienced pilots will have lower prospects of being able to move on and go elsewhere given that they will have only F/O time and no twin command time even after several years of employment.

An experienced GA pilot, even after only serving as an F/O within the group, will quite possibly have 500+ hours of twin command time from elsewhere that will enable him/her to move on to bigger and better things when the opportunity arises.

Just a thought...

VH-FTS
23rd Apr 2016, 01:15
The only reason they would want trainees in the group is because they recently incorporated a lower pay scale for less experienced pilots into the EBA. We all saw this coming. Please see the thread titled, "Sunstate pilot's Reps undercut Eastern pilots AGAIN" for more information as to why you'll be paid substantially less than your colleagues who are doing the exact same job as you. (I'm not trying to start another war here, just directing people to a thread that chronicles our most recent EBA).

But then again they're a pretty ethical company, they wouldn't exploit the desperation of young pilots in Australia would they? :rolleyes:

If that's the case, why did they have a trainee program in place under the previous EBA when there was no economic benefit?

A traineeship potentially lets them get a longer return of service, the lower pay is just a bonus. The bigger issue seems they need FOs now, and direct entry guys can be trained up much faster (solving issues in the short term).

Brakerider
23rd Apr 2016, 01:44
My guess is the reason they hire 'Trainee' pilots is so this exact problem will occur less frequently. Pilots entering the company with lower hours than your regular D/E pilot will have to remain in the company longer to get anywhere in their career. A D/E might have the time/experience/qualifications to move on in their career within just a few years. Where as trainees with extremely limited experience and command time have to stick around.

Di_Vosh
23rd Apr 2016, 03:14
I think some of you are reading too much into this.

IIRC, the reason that the traineeships were begun in the past was that there were insufficient numbers of DE applicants.

And while I might agree with

I would suggest that there would never be a shortage of direct entry applicants in Australia with 700+ hours of command.

I would counter with a point of view that there may be a shortage of suitable applicants.

IMHO, Qlink management agree, so in an attempt to broaden the range of applicants, the Traineeship (in whatever form it takes) is kept open.

DIVOSH!

P.S. Lee_apromise :ok:

LongLats
23rd Apr 2016, 03:48
A traineeship potentially lets them get a longer return of service, the lower pay is just a bonus

Yeah, you're probably right about lower pay just being a bonus. I retract my opinion that cheaper wages would be their primary motivation.

I would counter with a point of view that there may be a shortage of suitable applicants.

Also right DIVOSH.

Homesick-Angel
27th Apr 2016, 12:30
Are they doing something rare for most operators in Aus, and trying to think ahead and plan for a possible short term boom, but not backing it up by being unprepared for how to actually insert any selected (non DE) candidates into the system in a timely manner. They need to be trained, checked to line etc and the current system can only do 10-15 candidates over 6 weeks at a time as far as I know (UNSW was not approved yet with the last news I heard- has that changed?) and only FTA are doing it?

I see the second half of this year there being a lot of movement, but there is a massive queue of experienced guys and gals waiting and ready to go due to the stagnancy over the last few years.

Still , like many idiotic pilots, and despite plenty of evidence (which I ignore) to the contrary I'm positive about the future.. :}

Spoons9
3rd May 2016, 11:30
If you're planning to work for Qlink, get used to feeling disheartened.

DIVOSH!

Seriously?! Pull your head in mate. If you're this disenfranchised, quit.

Density
3rd May 2016, 22:34
Seriously?! Pull your head in mate. If you're this disenfranchised, quit.

I'm with Spoons on this one, although alot easier to say than do. Qlink really isn't that bad though. Yes it has its issues like any large company, however if you go to work do your job properly and safely, return home pickup your pay cheque all isn't that bad. If you want to see disheartened maybe you should peruse the Middle East threads Divosh.😊

Di_Vosh
4th May 2016, 00:57
Spoons9

I'm curious, did you create your Prune Id simply to have a go at a post I wrote three weeks ago? Kind of says more about you than me, IMHO!

"If you don't like it, leave" was the Qlink management motto back in the old days. It fell out of favour when the previous General Manager (NK) said those very words to a group of Brisbane Captains who met him to complain about their workload. Ten of them proceeded to leave over the next four months.

DIVOSH!

eukeybound
9th May 2016, 14:04
Hi all,

Just thought i would share my experience to date for those interested in the L1 and L2 process. I recently spoke to one of the people at Qantas People Services overseeing the applications for the Traineeship (not D/E), querying what the expected time frames would be to hear back on receiving the first stage of Assessment (Psychometric Testing with SHL).

At this stage, they apparently have no plan to send out assessment invites to any of the L1 & L2 applications (unless in some instances they have significant command experience and TT, in which case they are moving them across to the D/E Stream). The reason for this is that they don't have a clear plan for them in place at the moment i.e. progression pathways etc. They are also concerned that if they hire a tonne of green pilots that they will all come up for command around the same time, with limited opportunities available. They will then do what a lot of the prior trainees did and bail for another airline, essentially negating all of the effort that has been put into getting them there in the fist place.

There are apparently a lot of discussions going on about creating a pathway from QLink into Mainline or other companies in the group to make sure that all pilots recruited are, as much as possible, recruited for a career, not a 5 year stint.

Apparently they are also not prioritising D/E once this is in place (they are only looking at D/E at the moment though), as they can then put L1 and L2 candidates through with a few D/E candidates, so there are varying experience levels providing mentoring for the less experienced, as well as ensuring that you don't all come up for command at the same time with the same experience levels. This also allows the process to be competitive on both levels, aviation experience and life/employment experience and suitability. As i think someone mentioned in the thread earlier, there are no doubt always going to be plenty of pilots who will meet Direct Entry requirements, but they aren't all necessarily going to be suitable.

When pressed for a date that assessment would be sent out, I was told at this stage hopefully June, possibly July, so those who keep saying patience, you are on the money :)

Therefore I am just working my butt off to get my final ATPL's done to hopefully give me a better chance and also keeping an eye on options for moving north for work.

eukeybound
10th May 2016, 10:29
Hi Fysh,

Yep you and me both :) And they obviously seem very keen on facilitating that now which is really positive so just got to hurry up and wait I guess :) Will keep updating with any info I get throughout the process.

rmcdonal
10th May 2016, 11:31
There are a number of us up here waiting on QLink and excited by the prospect of staying within the group for life
Sort of reminds me of that 'Jet" carrot. :}

PPRuNeUser0161
15th May 2016, 22:54
There will never be a path from Qlink to mainline unless mainline do the recruiting for Qlink, and Qlink won't want that! Just a carrot to stem the flow.

SN

Density
16th May 2016, 00:50
There will never be a path from Qlink to mainline unless mainline do the recruiting for Qlink, and Qlink won't want that! Just a carrot to stem the flow.

SN

Soup I suspect you are right, which makes me wonder what advantage Qlink pilots will have, if any, with a pathway into Jetstar?

PPRuNeUser0161
16th May 2016, 02:03
There will be a token few just to create some hope but thats where it will end. I guess we are just plain not good enough!

SN

mach decimal 83
16th May 2016, 13:31
Any idea for time to command as an experienced DE F/O, Brisbane based?

Density
16th May 2016, 21:58
Any idea for time to command as an experienced DE F/O, Brisbane based?

Experience will offer little advantage in my opinion as the time to command will be around the order of 5 to 7 years I suspect, by which time those with low hours and ahead on seniority will have met the command hour requirements. Then there is the command assessment 😊.

Going Nowhere
16th May 2016, 22:15
Density is correct,

Seniority is all that matters. Even those with low hours will have all of the requirements by the time their number comes up.

PPRuNeUser0161
16th May 2016, 22:30
Time to command is impossible to pre determine. There are a core group that will never leave (probably too burnt out to bother!) and there are the remainder who are more motivated career wise. I would say they comprise about 50% of the total. If they turn over quick then command comes quick, it all depends on whats on offer elsewhere. At the moment it appears theres a lot on offer and Qlink (sunnies and eastern) doesn't offer career progression, just some meagre attempt to sway a few to stay in the hope that it will slow the flow to a more manageable number.

It should come as no surprise as it's a time honoured tradition after all and plenty fall for it first time round.

SN

mikewil
17th May 2016, 06:34
Has anyone who applied shortly after the job was first listed noticed that their application has defaulted to an application for the "Level 2" traineeship even if only the level 1 criteria were selected?

At first both were grouped together as one application but there is now a separate one for the two levels.

Has this same error happened to everyone?

mach decimal 83
17th May 2016, 10:06
Experience will offer little advantage in my opinion as the time to command will be around the order of 5 to 7 years I suspect, by which time those with low hours and ahead on seniority will have met the command hour requirements. Then there is the command assessment 😊.

Thank you Sir. Much appreciated.

In the Soup
17th May 2016, 11:39
And if you decide to pursue QantasLink and end up getting in, better change your pprune name to Mach decimal 5 :ok:

AviatoR21
17th May 2016, 12:00
If you're lucky in a Q400 at ISA-10.

In the Soup
1st Jun 2016, 09:32
Speaking only from the inside, we've been told recruitment through to at least June next year. I believe courses are 6 weeks apart. Not sure what stage you're at, but there will be plenty of positions available in the near future. :ok:

Going Nowhere
1st Jun 2016, 09:33
Nothing new that hasn't already been said about the frequency of groundschools.

Jc31
1st Jun 2016, 11:12
2 people to start on the next ground school next week. A few command upgrades and conversion training taking place. Only enough spots for 12 training movements every 6 weeks

mikewil
1st Jun 2016, 11:31
2 people to start on the next ground school next week. A few command upgrades and conversion training taking place. Only enough spots for 12 training movements every 6 weeks

This is all clearly direct entry stuff.

I don't think anyone has heard back about the traineeship at this stage (which is what this thread is about)

LongLats
1st Jun 2016, 13:03
She must be a tight ship over at QLink recruitment, that or there's nothing to report!

I answered this question in a post on 9th Apr where I told you guys the traineeship was a premature announcement and completely unprepared. I made mention of the fact that the company didn't even know where the traineeship was going to be conducted. Why they advertised for a traineeship when they a) don't need it, and b) have no plan to facilitate it... Is beyond me. But unfortunately that's kind of how this airline works.

I'm sure you guys will hear back from them about it sooner or later, but I don't think they're in any rush.

Density
2nd Jun 2016, 00:21
The Japan sim is only used when the Sydney sim is at full capacity or maintenance. It is a Q400 sim. It is unlikely to be used for endorsements simply due to the costs. Then again Seattle was used at one stage, however I dont see a repeat of that again. 😆

Going Nowhere
2nd Jun 2016, 00:49
Given the sim rates are all done in USD, it won't see much use unless absolutely necessary.

Even the cyclic program sims aren't going to Japan anymore

Ozalby
2nd Jun 2016, 02:39
I've heard this could be at the Aviation Australia 737 SIM where they are doing the MCC courses.

Attitude!
8th Jun 2016, 09:31
Interesting.... I got an email from HR this morning saying "thanks, but no thanks", and 90 minutes later got an invitation to Sydney for assessment and sim ride. Happy to have received the second email I must say. Direct entry of course.

However, I'm in the dark as to what to expect for either the assessment or sim ride. Can anybody enlighten me please.

Fujiroll76
9th Jun 2016, 05:14
Interesting.... I got an email from HR this morning saying "thanks, but no thanks", and 90 minutes later got an invitation to Sydney for assessment and sim ride. Happy to have received the second email I must say. Direct entry of course.

However, I'm in the dark as to what to expect for either the assessment or sim ride. Can anybody enlighten me please.

You wouldn't be the first to get the no/hang on..yes

Interview is all behavioural 30-45 minutes, Sim most likely 767 with all info emailed to you once you lock in an interview slot. Both completed on the same day now.

To give all a bit of an insight - approx 45 already on the hold file I.e been successful with the interview and sim and waiting for a ground school. 1300 applications in the system. 6x300 6x400 max every 6 weeks - expect some courses to have less due to internal conversions. With that math, if your're not already on hold I wouldn't expect a start until 2017.

As for level 1 or 2 entries..highly doubt they need pilots with such low time at this stage.

All the best.

Fuji

QNH1020
9th Jun 2016, 08:07
You wouldn't be the first to get the no/hang on..yes

Interview is all behavioural 30-45 minutes, Sim most likely 767 with all info emailed to you once you lock in an interview slot. Both completed on the same day now.

To give all a bit of an insight - approx 45 already on the hold file I.e been successful with the interview and sim and waiting for a ground school. 1300 applications in the system. 6x300 6x400 max every 6 weeks - expect some courses to have less due to internal conversions. With that math, if your're not already on hold I wouldn't expect a start until 2017.

As for level 1 or 2 entries..highly doubt they need pilots with such low time at this stage.

All the best.

Fuji
6x300 and 6x400 - are you referring to Q300 and Q400 courses?
If so, are you aware when they will run Q400 courses??
Cheers.

VH-FTS
9th Jun 2016, 12:14
6x300 and 6x400 - are you referring to Q300 and Q400 courses?
If so, are you aware when they will run Q400 courses??
Cheers.

They'll run concurrently with the 200/300 course (you fly both models if allocated the classic/sustaining fleet). Many of the ground school topics overlap, apart from the obvious like systems and sims. This is why both fleet courses have recently been run at the same time.

For those playing along at home and don't understand how they come up with available positions, it happens like this in this hypothetical scenario:

1. Company advertises internally what positions are available. Existing pilots get first shot. For example: 6 x 200/300 SYD FOs, 4 x Q400 BNE FOs, 2 x Q400 CNS FOs.

2. Let's say no one bids for the SYD or CNS positions - they're all available for new trainees. However, 2 x Q400 BNE positions are taken by existing BNE 200/300 pilots. Therefore 2 of the Q400 BNE positions are gone, but 2 are still available for trainees.

3. Now the following positions are available for new pilots: 200/300 - 6 x SYD, 2 x BNE Q400, 2 x CNS Q400. Chances are 2 x 200/300 BNE jobs are now also available for trainees.

4. The recruitment team pick the 12 most competitive applicants from the hold file. If possible, they'll award your base preference. In the above scenario, if you wanted SYD or BNE, you should be sweet. If you wanted ADL, because no positions are available, they might offer one of the CNS positions instead to get you on the Sunstate seniority list.

5. Out of the 4 new BNE pilots, the new guys with the most experience will be offered the Q400 roles. The least experience guys will get the 200/300. Only exception is if someone drops out (or fails the pre-employment medical etc.), the next most suitable guy on the hold file will get a late call up and take whatever fleet the initial trainee was supposed to get.

A bit of a long winded post, but shows that a lot of things are in motion. It wouldn't be a good move to try to hold out for a Q400 - in the meantime a bunch of guys will join the seniority list and slow down your future career progression. If base is important to you, think about the two different seniority lists (this has all been discussed before on Qlink recruitment threads). BNE, CNS, ADL are Sunstate seniority lists, SYD, MEL, MQL are Eastern.

If you want to eventually get to ADL, a BNE or CNS job would be a good move. There's nothing stopping you from taking an Eastern base initially, but all the Sunstate pilots would have to turn down the ADL role first before Eastern pilots get a shot.

Lots of hypothetical examples given in this post, but hope it helps.

QNH1020
9th Jun 2016, 14:04
They'll run concurrently with the 200/300 course (you fly both models if allocated the classic/sustaining fleet). Many of the ground school topics overlap, apart from the obvious like systems and sims. This is why both fleet courses have recently been run at the same time.

For those playing along at home and don't understand how they come up with available positions, it happens like this in this hypothetical scenario:

1. Company advertises internally what positions are available. Existing pilots get first shot. For example: 6 x 200/300 SYD FOs, 4 x Q400 BNE FOs, 2 x Q400 CNS FOs.

2. Let's say no one bids for the SYD or CNS positions - they're all available for new trainees. However, 2 x Q400 BNE positions are taken by existing BNE 200/300 pilots. Therefore 2 of the Q400 BNE positions are gone, but 2 are still available for trainees.

3. Now the following positions are available for new pilots: 200/300 - 6 x SYD, 2 x BNE Q400, 2 x CNS Q400. Chances are 2 x 200/300 BNE jobs are now also available for trainees.

4. The recruitment team pick the 12 most competitive applicants from the hold file. If possible, they'll award your base preference. In the above scenario, if you wanted SYD or BNE, you should be sweet. If you wanted ADL, because no positions are available, they might offer one of the CNS positions instead to get you on the Sunstate seniority list.

5. Out of the 4 new BNE pilots, the new guys with the most experience will be offered the Q400 roles. The least experience guys will get the 200/300. Only exception is if someone drops out (or fails the pre-employment medical etc.), the next most suitable guy on the hold file will get a late call up and take whatever fleet the initial trainee was supposed to get.

A bit of a long winded post, but shows that a lot of things are in motion. It wouldn't be a good move to try to hold out for a Q400 - in the meantime a bunch of guys will join the seniority list and slow down your future career progression. If base is important to you, think about the two different seniority lists (this has all been discussed before on Qlink recruitment threads). BNE, CNS, ADL are Sunstate seniority lists, SYD, MEL, MQL are Eastern.

If you want to eventually get to ADL, a BNE or CNS job would be a good move. There's nothing stopping you from taking an Eastern base initially, but all the Sunstate pilots would have to turn down the ADL role first before Eastern pilots get a shot.

Lots of hypothetical examples given in this post, but hope it helps.
VH-FTS thanks for your response!
I take it from your post that there won't be any chance of getting a SYD Q400 slot?

Going Nowhere
9th Jun 2016, 19:48
More experience won't necessarily get you the Q400. The opposite happened in ground schools when I started and is still happening today.

VH-FTS
9th Jun 2016, 21:36
More experience won't necessarily get you the Q400. The opposite happened in ground schools when I started and is still happening today.

Not in the recent ground schools, what I mentioned happened.

Going Nowhere
9th Jun 2016, 21:56
It happened in probably the ground school before last. The highest player for Sunstate in that ground school is on the Classic, all other on the Q400.

Bit of a sore spot apparently.

Ando1Bar
10th Jun 2016, 02:26
It happened in probably the ground school before last. The highest player for Sunstate in that ground school is on the Classic, all other on the Q400.

Bit of a sore spot apparently.

That's me you're talking about, and it's not a sore spot at all. A 300 position opened up late (think someone dropped out) and it was offered to me. The other guys had already been offered the Q400.

Going Nowhere
10th Jun 2016, 02:45
Fair enough, I'd heard a different version. Glad you were able to pick up a spot.

Enjoy club classic and the SYD overnights! :ok:

pobba
13th Jun 2016, 04:43
Got a linkedin message form a qantas recruitment advisor encouraging me to apply. Of course I already had months ago and she confirmed my application and told me they would start the first stage of the assessments in July

I am in the traineeship level 2 category, so I'm not sure if its both levels that are kicking off in July, or just level 2

mikewil
13th Jun 2016, 10:27
Has anyone who applied before they separated the Level 1 and 2 applications been put in the incorrect category?

I applied when they were combined as one (which has now been renamed level 2 but the criteria that I selected only met the minimums for level 1).

Anyone else noticed this?

VH-FTS
13th Jun 2016, 11:57
VH-FTS thanks for your response!
I take it from your post that there won't be any chance of getting a SYD Q400 slot?

Sorry, just saw your post.

Some new pilots recently were assigned the Q400 & SYD, but they were the most experienced in their group. All depends on any current Eastern pilots bidding for Q400 positions and new recruits will get what is left over. I believe though SYD is very short on classic FOs, so who knows exactly what will come up.

If not flying the Q400 is a deal breaker though you need to seriously reconsider your application. The money is not that different between types and I would have thought you'd be happy to fly either type if given an opportunity with the company.

QNH1020
13th Jun 2016, 14:34
Sorry, just saw your post.

Some new pilots recently were assigned the Q400 & SYD, but they were the most experienced in their group. All depends on any current Eastern pilots bidding for Q400 positions and new recruits will get what is left over. I believe though SYD is very short on classic FOs, so who knows exactly what will come up.

If not flying the Q400 is a deal breaker though you need to seriously reconsider your application. The money is not that different between types and I would have thought you'd be happy to fly either type if given an opportunity with the company.
Thanks for your response VH-FTS
Was mainly seeking what was the general recruitment for fleets in SYD. As much as it would be nice to fly the Q400, by no means it is a deal breaker. Classic fleet would be perfectly fine! More just looking for an opportunity.

VH-FTS
13th Jun 2016, 22:20
Thanks for your response VH-FTS
Was mainly seeking what was the general recruitment for fleets in SYD. As much as it would be nice to fly the Q400, by no means it is a deal breaker. Classic fleet would be perfectly fine! More just looking for an opportunity.

Sounds good. The opportunity will be there to fly it down the track if assigned the classic initially. You're not stuck on one type for life and can bid on to the Q400.

Density
13th Jun 2016, 22:46
I flew the 100/200/300 initially before moving over to the 400, and personally I found the transition a lot easier than moving straight onto the Q400 from what others have told me. Either way, it is a lot of fun! As FTS said, opportunities pop up often enough. Just enjoy the moment, if you get in :-)

G3J
22nd Jun 2016, 03:55
Does anyone have any information on when the next course starts/started? As one of the lucky ones there's only so many times I can check my email in a day.

Electriflyer
22nd Jun 2016, 07:08
Does anyone have any information on when the next course starts/started? As one of the lucky ones there's only so many times I can check my email in a day.
What do you mean by "one of the lucky ones"? :D

QLVI
22nd Jun 2016, 08:39
Hi all,
Does anyone have any information about the Video Interview, or has anyone been through one recently? I've no intention of planning any answers, but would like to know what type of questions would be asked if possible to be in the right frame of mind before conducting it. I can't imagine they'd be asking anything technical at this stage and it's probably just a "how would you react to X?" or "tell us about a time when you Y", but would like to confirm.

To try to add more information to this thread: I recently received a video interview request for a Level 2 application without having a huge amount of previous experience under my belt. I've also noticed that the careers website is showing that the Level 2 Trainee job post is no longer accepting applications.

Density
22nd Jun 2016, 09:22
G3J.....oh for goodness sakes! I've lost count how many times this question has been asked!

Centrex
22nd Jun 2016, 10:53
With regard to the Trainee First Officer Level 2 positions, requests for video interviews have been sent out. Must be completed within three days of notification. Can be done via a mobile device.

Flyin
22nd Jun 2016, 13:26
Curious about the video interview. What can an applicant expect from it? Is it a Skype video interview or one of those that you record yourself answering question? Not holding my breath though, haven't received anything since my initial application. Just heard some around the traps at other companies getting said email.

rmcdonal
22nd Jun 2016, 20:19
Not blowing my own horn but I had 3X the DEFO requirements minus all the ATP subjects,
So you are going for an Airline job without sitting the ATPL exams?
:rolleyes:

Going Nowhere
22nd Jun 2016, 21:50
No ATPL subjects? That'll put you in the minority of applicants so don't expect to hear anything.

I'd start studying...

Beech58
23rd Jun 2016, 00:24
Hi I've received a request for the video interviews anyone else done one yet? Would like to know the type of questions that will be asked.
Thanks

Ontheslide
23rd Jun 2016, 03:18
Hi I've received a request for the video interviews anyone else done one yet? Would like to know the type of questions that will be asked.
Thanks

Ive also recieved an offer to interview. Will be interesting the timeframe they are looking at considering they are giving people 3 days to complete.

Aclc
23rd Jun 2016, 07:13
Hi Everyone, I've also received a request for a video interview. Would appreciate if anyone could provide some information about what the interview consists of.

Thanks

FutureFO
24th Jun 2016, 07:03
Interview was more behavioral and some information about hours, it was pre-recorded questions so just read and think/answer.

In regards to applying level 2 trainee fo, wasn't the requirement all ATPL exams completed for level 2?

Electriflyer
24th Jun 2016, 08:55
I was moved by Qantas from Trainee 1 & 2 to Trainee level 2... yet still have a couple of ATPLs to redo (thanks for the 2 year period cass-a ;) haha... but haven't yet had an email... lamenting... hands up how many have heard, and could it be alphabetical? ;)

bose1
24th Jun 2016, 09:24
Yeah I noticed that as well 'Give it the Herbs' - hopefully they made a mistake with it.

FutureFO
24th Jun 2016, 12:28
Assume they did as the requirements were 250hrs with 70 PIC of an aircraft, for everyone's sake lets hope it didn't mean too much.

Flyboy1987
24th Jun 2016, 13:41
Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, however during the training period at fta, students are unpaid. Does payment start at the commencement of line training? Is there any assistance provided by the company for relocation as they have the final say where they put you and getting approved for rentals can take up to weeks? Just curious as I know myself and others who made the cut for the video interview have been in GA for years and are essentially flat broke

rmcdonal
24th Jun 2016, 17:27
The Link pays from the first day of employment, which is the day you walk in the front door and start the company paperwork (this is just prior to the type rating), however it may take a week for the paperwork to go through, so it is possible to miss a pay cycle at the start (you will get the back pay). So plan on up to 4 weeks before pay day.
You will only receive assistance if they move you from the assigned base. So if you are flat broke, then maybe a brief loan to tide you over to your fist pay? They pay fortnightly, on time. If you are desperate you could try talking to the Senior base pilot, but I doubt they can help, getting paid outside of the pay cycle is as close to improbable as moving from the Link to mainline.

Beech58
25th Jun 2016, 11:53
Was really awkward being able to see yourself in the video kept looking at it and stumbling luckily the questions they asked I had prepared for except name 3 strengths and and developments only had 1 of each prepared but got a few out but stumbled on the last one but I'm confident I did all I could now it's up to them....
Only 4 questions 1st ones a gimme... State your hours so far and confirm they meet the 70 hours pic multi or turbine.

mikewil
8th Jul 2016, 04:50
Will the unsuccessful applications eventually be notified as such or will they remain in a perpetual state of limbo as HR draws in an increasing pool of candidates?

mikewil
8th Jul 2016, 22:48
A thanks but no thanks email will be sent.

Have you received one yet?

Areyouapilot
20th Jul 2016, 11:14
I did hear on the grapevine that 4 new recruits are starting from UNSW next ground school. Can anyone confirm this?

mic310
21st Jul 2016, 01:51
Nope been 3 weeks:ugh:

GoNumbers
21st Jul 2016, 04:43
@hestonfysh
Email arrived today re invitation to psychometric testing so keep refreshing that inbox...

Flyboy1987
21st Jul 2016, 07:37
^^^

I got the same email inviting for round 2 testing, however there was no link attached to the email?

Same for you?

A185F
21st Jul 2016, 07:54
Whats the process ? Is it video then psychometric testing then interview ?

Does anyone know whats happening at the Jetstar nz regional side of recruitment ? Info would be highly appreciated

GoNumbers
21st Jul 2016, 10:25
@Flyboy1987
The email just states the next step is receiving a link to the testing.

@A185F
Here's the process in QLink's own words:
QantasLink Recruitment: Attention (http://qantaslink.bfound.net/det-contact.aspx?jobid=123244&CoId=189&rq=5)

VH-FTS
23rd Jul 2016, 15:49
GoNumbers,

That's an old recruitment site, Taleo is used these days not Bfound. Some of the info on the Bfound site is out of date.

FutureFO
26th Jul 2016, 13:42
When did you guys do your video interview before getting invited to Psych? I haven't received a psych eval e-mail as yet, hopeful still :)

Flyboy1987
29th Jul 2016, 01:49
Just sat psych test....do not take this test lightly.

Having studied financial planning/accounting at university, this test was what I believe to be far too difficult, especially under the strict time guidelines. Testing ran by a UK mob called TalentQ, numerical and logical part was extremely difficult, I know I have not scored high, but I do not believe anyone will. Sounds completely different to the older format of testing they had. If anyone has also done the test let me know, would be nice to have a discussion.

nzkiwipilot
29th Jul 2016, 04:23
@Flyboy1987 when did you complete your video interview?

Flyboy1987
29th Jul 2016, 07:57
@nzkiwipilot about a month or so ago.

QldPilotGuy
29th Jul 2016, 10:18
I second that @Flyboy1987 done a lot of testing with different airlines and that was just plain (excuse the pun) crazy. I should have become a doctor, a lot less time trying to decipher arrows (If you have done the test you will get this analogy)

V-Jet
31st Jul 2016, 09:06
FWIW and hopefully relevant today to most QF 'group' airlines:

A lot what QF is doing is just plain crazy. Get used to being treated like a child. Many things better than flying for them, however, hopefully this will allay some fears and if not (or it's wrong), nothing lost:) I assume most here would be smart enough to take all on board but ditch the rubbish!

I don't know what they are 'seeking' now (though someone without an opinion on anything would likely be right up there) but in the old days the purpose of psych testing was to tire you to the point they knew you weren't lying (you can't cross reference 800+ questions) and meet certain 'nebulous' criteria. They want to know you won't turn into a wacko if stressed. The actual 'real' pilots interviewing (should) be a lot more practical.

The arrow reference sounds similar to what I did. And back then it was just as bizarre. If it's the same 'type' of thing, they are not after perfect scores but a rate of change/improvement in spatial awareness in an unfamiliar environment. In todays terms, I guess, hoping you will be able to 'cope' in a situation like the Learmonth A330 that decided it was stalling in cruise, or AF447.

They know you will be nervous and unsure. They probably want that - proves you are human and not over cocky - something they hate, even if 'they' perceive it incorrectly. And that was the old days, before AJ decided to sack everyone who might even suggest his watch could be two seconds slow.

Flyboy- as a tongue in cheek word of warning, put away any (if it was good) financial planning knowledge you might have, because aside from management self enrichment, there is no financial plan at QF group companies! More seriously, what you've written seems from memory along the lines of what our group did. I tried to get everything correct (and wouldn't have come close) a mate got to 2 minutes to go and just filled out answers to 'finish'. We both got in, go figure.

Obviously prepare, be concerned but not overly so, be practical, take it as it comes but more importantly I would suggest - don't try to be 'fake', that will be found out and will count against you. There are a lot of not very bright crew out in any airline - it is well known perfection doesn't really exist. More than ever, crew are not leaders, but pawns in the company. They may say they want to hire junior captains, but its really captains who will tow the company line under ANY circumstances that they really want:).

If you get through or not, do NOT take it as a major 'fail' in life, and I mean what I write, many I know would consider (20 years later) getting in as being a 'fail'. It is a very big world out there and flying for a living very soon becomes a job. An extremely demanding job for (nowadays) only reasonable pay. Also remember that even in the same industry different people simply do not fit particular companies. That is not 'your' fault, nor is it 'theirs'. You will know people who get in and you will think 'What the F***?' and others who won't get in and you will think 'What the F***?'. And I've known some who were rejected by QF 20+ years prior to them being accepted! Not getting into a very controlled environment (like English boarding school) might be the biggest break of your life.

Just skimming through the previous 10 or so posts. If you do get in and are flat broke, very politely ask if it might be possible to advance you a pay or two. No pilot would ever take that the wrong way, and at that stage they want you out online asap, not having to repeat sims because you cant afford to eat. And they can only say 'no'.

PS: I just had a quick look at the TalentQ website (mainly to see if any QF Directors or ex Directors had set the thing up to further enrich themselves - the name is suspicious and I do not trust anyone anymore, but I digress).Regarding the testing, it would seem my recollection seems to still be pretty accurate. They mention (basically) be practical and honest.

https://www.trytalentq.com/

neville_nobody
1st Aug 2016, 03:40
Very true words there V-Jet. Unfortunately in Australia (and it has always been so) there are really very few flying jobs available so whilst not getting into QLink on face value may not be a big deal it could mean the end of someones flying career who is otherwise perfectly capable. I think that is why these types of testing regimes bring such angst amongst the pilot fraternity.

My other issue is once people start 'cheating' on the testing system by getting coached that basically negates any point in actually doing it in the first instance as the company is now getting a manufactured result rather than a true test of one's aptitude.

WannaBeBiggles
1st Aug 2016, 20:14
Unfortunately in Australia (and it has always been so) there are really very few flying jobs available so whilst not getting into QLink on face value may not be a big deal it could mean the end of someones flying career who is otherwise perfectly capable. I think that is why these types of testing regimes bring such angst amongst the pilot fraternity.

Not sure where you are at in your career, but if you haven't cracked a flying gig then your "location" may well have something to do with it.

QLink is far from the only regional in Australia. If you strike out with every regional and major then you might want to reconsider your career choices. Aviation is an industry that requires ample patience and lots of hard work to boot.

seneca208
1st Aug 2016, 21:51
Not getting into Qlink could be the best thing that ever happened in your career. Especially if you are looking at Level 1 entry.

mikewil
1st Aug 2016, 23:26
Especially if you are looking at Level 1 entry.

Curious as to your justification for singling out Level 1?

Flyboy1987
2nd Aug 2016, 09:25
Surely there would be an excess of level 2 guys that would be suitable for the job? Is there any need for level 1 guys with next to no experience?

Even though the level 2 minimums were next to nothing, most guys I know who have applied, have in excess of 2000 hours charter experience up north plus instructor ratings and other bits and pieces.

wishiwasupthere
2nd Aug 2016, 10:20
Surely getting into QLink is better than having to put up with sh!thouse GA emoloyment?

The way things are going at the upper end of GA at the moment, you'd be on a much better wicket getting around in a King Air/Conquest/etc then in the right hand seat of a regional.

V-Jet
2nd Aug 2016, 12:13
Very true words there V-Jet. Unfortunately in Australia (and it has always been so) there are really very few flying jobs available so whilst not getting into QLink on face value may not be a big deal it could mean the end of someones flying career who is otherwise perfectly capable. I think that is why these types of testing regimes bring such angst amongst the pilot fraternity.

My other issue is once people start 'cheating' on the testing system by getting coached that basically negates any point in actually doing it in the first instance as the company is now getting a manufactured result rather than a true test of one's aptitude.

Not what I meant, I don't think. Never say die, and if you persist I'm sure that one day you will get somewhere you want to be. My cooment re being honest was purely suggesting the questions and tasks are structured in such a way as to see through any 'cheating' - strangely enough the people being paid millions to write the tests will probably be aware that unsophisticated strategies do exist - such as cheating:) Unless they are fools, they know everyone cheats in some way, their goal is to work out if you are merely stacking the deck or trying to switch the dealers entire pack with one of your own.

A friend of a friend of mine is a commercial property 'salesman' for a major international corporation. I 100% guarantee anyone he isn't any better in any way (and I would argue less) than anyone here. One deal he signed last year garnered a USD$50 million bonus. Obviously this was in addition to any mere salary he might have earned, but I put this out there as an example. Much like strippers quoting 'I earn $xx in tips every night' it's not every day such a deal happens, but if you only had one in a lifetime I think most of us would struggle by on just that. In short, flying can be bloody good fun, but it isn't everything.

Do your very best, but if it isn't what 'they' want on that particular day, many doors might open for you that you possibly wouldn't have been aware of. And if nothing else, your next interview will be a lot easier!

rmcdonal
2nd Aug 2016, 19:12
Lets not kid anyone here, if there are level 2 entry pilots available, QLink will not waste money on level 1. To be honest I can't see why they would.

Surely getting into QLink is better than having to put up with sh!thouse GA emoloyment? True, but only after having flown in GA. I miss my GA days, sure I enjoy my airline pay, but I was allowed to fly in GA.

mikewil
3rd Aug 2016, 00:52
Lets not kid anyone here, if there are level 2 entry pilots available, QLink will not waste money on level 1. To be honest I can't see why they would.

They must have a reason for it, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered creating that specification in the first place.

May have something to do with the fact that they consider they will get more years of service out of someone who lacks the experience to go ahywhere else.

Has anyone who applied for Level 1 actually had a response of any kind yet?

FutureFO
3rd Aug 2016, 11:47
Not since the video interview, not sure I will now either. Wait and see.

V-Jet
3rd Aug 2016, 12:00
Not since the video interview, not sure I will now either. Wait and see.

They must have a reason for it, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered creating that specification in the first place.

They might want to get guys they can easily mould with no 'bad habits' along with future years of service. When I joined QF they deliberately 'sought' that balance.

Don't try to double guess, it will be as your Juju has written. Take what they throw at you, TRY not to double guess, just sit back, relax (as much as possible) and enjoy that famous (insert group entity here) service.

Flyboy1987
8th Aug 2016, 03:40
Anyone heard anything since psycho test???

got_wheel
8th Aug 2016, 05:28
First interviews this Wednesday.. watch this space

Flyboy1987
8th Aug 2016, 23:15
Give it herbs, myself and mates have a couple thousand hours each. We all applied level 2. But I also heard of level 1 guys who done psycho testing as soon as they applied back in March? They haven't heard anything since tho

Flyboy1987
9th Aug 2016, 05:51
The guys I know getting in DE have twice as many hours as I do, with over 1000 multi turbine, I can't compete with that.

Capt Fathom
9th Aug 2016, 06:48
I can't compete with that

How do you know?

Flyboy1987
9th Aug 2016, 07:00
^^ As I don't meet the minimums, applied anyway-unsuccessful.

Capt Fathom
9th Aug 2016, 07:15
As I don't meet the minimums

Oh OK. That would do it!:(

Flyboy1987
11th Aug 2016, 11:44
Has anyone in this thread actually completed the traineeship? From a few years ago? If so would appreciate if you would pm me, would love to get some info from someone that completed the course and was eventually employed by qlink. Cheers

Flyboy1987
12th Aug 2016, 01:47
You had a recent Sydney interview tulsami?

Does anyone know where the training will be conducted? As far as FTA is concerned, it's not with them?

mikewil
12th Aug 2016, 04:25
If you don't want single engine vfr instructors why bother interviewing them for Level 2 Traineeship

Did you have an interview and get knocked back?

Flyboy1987
13th Aug 2016, 08:16
Anyone who just done 3 days of testing in Sydney care to comment?

Any ideas on what they're looking for?
Training involved if they're successful? I gave unsw a call, guy I spoke to hadn't heard of this level 2 traineeship, then went on to tell me it would be a 3 month course, no different to level 1???

Sounds all up in the air

Flyboy1987
18th Aug 2016, 03:17
I'd imagine they'd score all applicants from all first round interview locations?
Brisbane next month.

Ontheslide
24th Aug 2016, 06:35
They have both sydney and brisbane interviews next month. It will be interesting to get details on the course. The latest ive heard is the course offered by UNSW is tailored to the Q400, including engineering and performance, along with the mcc sims

pilotchute
16th Sep 2016, 02:15
Tulsami,

Nothing new mate. You forgot over 28 years old and/or have flown outside Australia.

VH-FTS
16th Sep 2016, 08:47
The game is up
The secret is out
Straight white males need not apply
Diversity above all else

Did you ever consider you were just uncompetitive?

pilotchute
16th Sep 2016, 13:35
Anyone who still thinks that hard study and flying a good sim will get you the job are living in the past. It's all about profiles now. HR depts are all about candidates with x amount of hours in x age group with multi/turbine or whatever else the flavour of the month is. If you happen to be in a group that is "underrepresented" in aviation your in.

The more inexperienced you are the longer you have to stay to pay back your bond. The more inexperienced you are the more likely you are to accept lower conditions. The more inexperienced you are the less likely you are to rock the boat.
It's ok cause the Capt knows what he is doing.

Inexperienced is the new black.

VH-FTS
16th Sep 2016, 20:10
What evidence do you actually have to back up your statements?

The vast majority of new faces around Qlink in the last 6 months are white males aged over 28.

pilotchute
17th Sep 2016, 00:45
So if they aren't chasing inexperienced people why offer the trainee program at all?

VH-FTS
17th Sep 2016, 08:10
The traineeship is designed for inexperienced pilots and will compliment the more experienced direct entry guys. But the rant you went on wasn't just about that.

NowThatsFunny
17th Sep 2016, 08:29
Don't hold your breath waiting for a job, they're now employing 457 visa FOs from South Africa. Two started a few weeks ago.

Going Nowhere
18th Sep 2016, 08:19
No pay during the traineeship. Standard EBA pay once you start at QLink.

archangel7
18th Sep 2016, 08:52
Go and see Pink Stripes next time. They will coach you for the group session and what to expect. They will also teach you what to say and how to say it. All you need to do is tell them what they want to hear and that will make you more competitive next time.

pacman3
19th Sep 2016, 02:45
Would anyone know what is involved in the Video interview with QLink for the trainee first officer level 1?

Any help would be appreciated

Centrex
19th Sep 2016, 11:06
Three months after the video interview, i finally got the "Thanks but no thanks".

Username here
19th Sep 2016, 11:55
Has anyone done a video interview for DEFO recently?

How quickly did you hear back after you submitted the interview?

pacman3
20th Sep 2016, 00:07
you got the same email? wonder how many people got the email this time around... and how long before they reply did my SHL online testing 6 months ago and back to square one again by the looks of things :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

mikewil
20th Sep 2016, 01:32
If there is anyone out there who has done the video interview for either Level 1 or Level 2, I would greatly appreciate a PM with a bit of advice on what to expect and the kind of questions asked.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

vIrot8
20th Sep 2016, 02:42
As above, would greatly appreciate a PM on what to expect during the video interview!

Thanks in advance

julietbravo
20th Sep 2016, 05:41
Hi,
I'm also in the same boat about the video interview for the level 1 trainee position. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

neoxman
20th Sep 2016, 07:11
Somehow I got an invite to the video interview and I didn't even meet the requirements of having ATPL HUF, and my MECIR was about to expire at time of application with no plans to renew it due to money and not putting it to use.

Chucked my name in hat anyway though! Only sure way of not getting in is not trying in the first place.

nzkiwipilot
21st Sep 2016, 08:31
@Flyboy1987 have you heard anything back since your psych test? If so what was the time period like from completing it - to hearing back.

Cheers!

mikewil
21st Sep 2016, 20:59
Has anyone done the video interview in the past few days?

If you have, I would greatly appreciate a PM with details on what it involves and what questions are asked.

Cheers,
Michael

Flyboy1987
21st Sep 2016, 23:10
Chances are no one will tell you what questions were asked so you can prepare for them. They are your competition after all...

j3pipercub
21st Sep 2016, 23:34
I think you'll find they vary them, so studying the exact questions won't necessarily help you. Furthermore, perhaps you should be rehearsing a whole range of behavioural questions to prepare yourself for the entire process.

From what I have heard from mates who have been through, 4 questions. About 30 seconds to think about it, then 2/3mins to answer.

umop apisdn
22nd Sep 2016, 09:40
I would disagree flyboy.

I think that knowing the questions beforehand would be detrimental to your chances.

The email clearly states that they want to get to know the real you, they don't give you the questions for a reason. They are testing your ability to think on your feet and come up with coherent responses within the allocated timeframe.

I would hazard a guess that we are talking to professional HR people who are good at recognising genuine responses.

If you rehearse your answers with more than 30 seconds notice, it will be obvious, you will be a drone with more blank body language and more of a direct stare.

It is extremely hard to fake body language that is indicative of thinking on the fly. They want you to think, they want you to make mistakes, to be put under the pump and to come out the other side successful in your message. Oh, wait, that sounds a lot like one of the qualities required of a pilot. Who woulda thunk it!

Instead of faking it, just do it. Actually give them what they want, trying to cheat on the very first progression of your application, to me, is an absolute fools game.

My hope is for anyone that wants the questions to actually get them in advance, because it will discount them, leaving those who didn't cheat still in the pool.

Flyboy1987
22nd Sep 2016, 10:42
umop apisdn,

What part of my statement do you disagree with?

The part where no one will tell what questions they were asked (no one has yet) or that they are each other's competition?

Centrex
22nd Sep 2016, 11:16
umop apisdn,
your discussion on the process is a bit idealistic. The whole video interview process is so synthetic that it has very little to do with what's required to be a pilot. Probably relevant to in flight announcements.
The whole faking it thing is a fine line. Being completely honest can also work against you.
As far as pre-knowledge is concerned, there are many exams where we are told what will be on the test and a large percentage of people still fail.

umop apisdn
22nd Sep 2016, 12:53
Yeah, I guess thats just my view of it :)

Flyboy. I just got the inference that you meant that giving a competing candidate the questions you were asked would give them the upper hand.

I probably went off on a tangent :E

mikewil
23rd Sep 2016, 00:14
Is there anyone who applied earlier this year (before June) who has not got an invite for the video interview? Or as a matter of course have all applicants now received this invite?

BleedingAir
23rd Sep 2016, 00:24
Umop,

In any HR interview, you do want to know as much about the questions as possible, and if you have no specific info, prepare for as close to anything as you can. Good interview prep involves having as many specific, appropriate responses to as many HR questions as possible. The last thing you want to be doing is tackling a difficult question (such as "give us an example of a time you deliberately disregarded SOP") without prior preparation.

I have no idea what the Qlink interview is like, but the principle holds for all interviews and levels of question, from "tell us about yourself" to the really tricky ones.

Username here
25th Sep 2016, 07:35
So, anyone have any info on the sim assessment day activities for DEFO?

pacman3
25th Sep 2016, 10:26
Is there anyone who applied earlier this year (before June) who has not got an invite for the video interview? Or as a matter of course have all applicants now received this invite?

I applied in Feb or March did a online phys test, haven't heard back from that but got an email for video interview back to square one....

Give it the herbs
29th Sep 2016, 03:42
Honestly.. I don't think even Qlink knows at this point..

Density
30th Sep 2016, 07:26
bose....737

Username here
1st Oct 2016, 22:58
Does anyone know where I can find out the Brisbane Sim profile?

iPahlot
2nd Oct 2016, 00:41
Does anyone know where I can find out the Brisbane Sim profile?

If you get that far they'll give you everything you need.

umop apisdn
5th Oct 2016, 10:54
Yes, of course interview preparation is very important. I was lucky that I anticipated a few questions that came up and had dot points to prompt me.

I just think that if you actually know the questions and write yourself a scripted response to them, then its no good. In a face to face, if you could script response everything, then good on you because you prepared for every possible question ever, but when the bank is so small known to many people, you want to be more than a scripted robot. I think having genuine emotional reactions to the questions, while answering them satisfactorily, would be better than looking like you are reading off a teleprompter, which I would hazard to guess a large majority of people did after they asked their friends what the questions were.

Anyway I'll probably get denied because I'm in the middle of bloody nowhere with no shirt and/or tie for 2000kms in any direction.

Beech58
9th Oct 2016, 19:38
Has anyone been to the group interviews and face to face interviews?
What can someone expect, any tips questions/scenarios they might ask?
Thanks

Density
9th Oct 2016, 23:20
Parrot: To answer your questions:
1) Brisbane base on Q400 I would say is reasonable. Most of the applicants coming through at this stage are going directly onto the Q400 but it is based on where they need the resources. They are short everywhere and on all fleets at the moment. Fancy to live in NZ?? :-) It isn't confirmed basing until they give you the nod but they certainly try to accommodate where possible.

2) Command time: Yeah majority of FO's have an ATPL and more than enough hours for command too. Seniority based and looking at the list currently 250 odd pilots in Sunstate (Brisbane/Cairns/Adelaide). Difficult to predict with changes other than natural attrition but I would say anywhere between 4 and 7 years?? (Others may differ in their opinion).

3)Future progression is something the company is attempting to accomplish. There have been some that have gone to Jetconnect, Jetstar and now as you may be aware offering EOI applications for mainline.

Overall the flying is fun, good selection of ports, lifestyle at the moment is questionable due to the lack of crews, but is cyclical. Overnights about once a week. You mention home every night and progression in the same sentence. Mainline do overnights too ;-).

Anyway hope this helps. PM if you want anymore details.

pacman3
12th Oct 2016, 02:40
Has Anyone heard back from the last round of video Interviews?

Arewegettingjets
13th Oct 2016, 09:35
Can anyone shed some light on where the Sunstate initial FO training is conducted?

Do they do any of the training in Brissy?

Hi Parrot,

When you start with the company (Sunstate/Eastern) you will be in Sydney for 8 weeks. During this time you are on full pay and if you're not based out of Sydney you will receive a weekly accomodation allowance.
Once you finish that 8 week period the company flys you from where you are based to complete your simulators in Sydney.
Line training is generally done at your home base (let's just say it's Brisbane), however, you may be required to do some sectors out of Sydney, Cairns, Adelaide, Melbourne or Mildura depending on the rostering.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck

donkey767
14th Oct 2016, 14:33
Has anyone who attended the assessment centre / interviews from a month or so ago heard back or been offered a start date?

donkey767
15th Oct 2016, 02:07
Thanks for the info mate, all the best with the QF application

Flyboy1987
15th Oct 2016, 23:52
In the same boat as hestonfysh, feel I done enough in the sim, was asked for references the next afternoon...haven't heard a peep in the time frame we were told we would, feeling uneasy....

donkey767
16th Oct 2016, 08:45
@Flyboy1987 Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who attended the assessment centre with you got through to the sim ride?

Density
19th Oct 2016, 09:01
Guys relax....Qlink doesn't do anything in a hurry....nor does any other airline Ive worked for....if it happens it will happen...I know you are all keen but in most cases if you haven't heard that is normally not a bad thing

Give it the herbs
20th Oct 2016, 07:41
Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who attended the assessment centre with you got through to the sim ride?

Brissy in Sept - roughly half of the 24 made the sim, and half that again for the hold file

VH-FTS
20th Oct 2016, 08:38
After telling us "you are all through just don't mess up the sim" which i didn't and then got cut.

Did you consider you were borderline throughout the process and ultimately just not as competitive as the others?

Going Nowhere
20th Oct 2016, 19:56
Maybe you were cut at the end?

pacman3
20th Oct 2016, 22:55
Has anyone heard back from the last round of video interviews?

Username here
27th Oct 2016, 05:39
Does anyone have the Sydney 767 profile?

Feel free to PM.

Cheers

Aregrosi
27th Oct 2016, 09:03
@Flyboy1987

Could you shed some light about 'the timeframe' that you are supposed to hear back from your reference check?

P.S: Hope all goes well with your application

Aregrosi

donkey767
12th Nov 2016, 00:35
Any word on where or if this traineeship is being run in a similar manner to the FTA program 4 or so years ago? Are there any Level 2's who've actually been given a start date or is everyone just on hold?

vIrot8
16th Nov 2016, 00:18
G'day, did anyone else receive a confirmation that they have moved onto the psychometric testing stage? I got an email saying that I have moved to the next stage after video interviews about 2 weeks ago and they would send me another email with the link to the the psychometric test. but I haven't received this yet. Has anyone received the email with the link to the test?

Jet Hopper
17th Nov 2016, 04:38
Guys be aware that just because you pass the Qlink interview and sim and have your references called and then you wait around for a couple of months having heard nothing from Link and thinking that you're going to get in, you may still get a thanks but no thanks email, even if your references give a glowing report. Unfortunately I'm hearing this too often and from experienced GA pilots regardless of their multi time.

mikewil
17th Nov 2016, 11:21
Has anyone had any form of response from the September round of video interviews?

Username here
21st Nov 2016, 05:56
How long has it been taking for DEFO guys to get called off the hold file?

cLeArIcE
21st Nov 2016, 10:17
Its been pretty close to a year now for me. Don't know if that's normal or not.

Livin
21st Nov 2016, 19:18
Its been pretty close to a year now for me. Don't know if that's normal or not.

Chin up Mate, your not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you I had applications to other parts of the group blocked while on the file. Turns out it was the best thing to happen to me. Carriers elsewhere are actively recruiting and their processes are streamlined. From application through to job offer with a start date was 4 weeks. I would've been happy to see out my career on a TP, but now I get to see parts of the world I've never seen before and expand my experience.

cLeArIcE
22nd Nov 2016, 01:24
Chin up Mate, your not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you I had applications to other parts of the group blocked while on the file. Turns out it was the best thing to happen to me. Carriers elsewhere are actively recruiting and their processes are streamlined. From application through to job offer with a start date was 4 weeks. I would've been happy to see out my career on a TP, but now I get to see parts of the world I've never seen before and expand my experience.

Thanks Livin. What you say is very true. It's a big world out there who knows what's going to happen tomorrow :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position and there is probably many more who have waited longer than me.
I'm dont mind waiting my turn. But the lack of communication is a little frustrating haha.

Jc31
1st Dec 2016, 04:48
Chances are you won't hear anything for a long time. Why would they bother with the extra training cost when they have plenty of direct entry candidates waiting in the wings? There are guys and gals on the list who have been waiting for over six months for a start.

Closer to a year for a few.

Jc31
1st Dec 2016, 04:49
Chances are you won't hear anything for a long time. Why would they bother with the extra training cost when they have plenty of direct entry candidates waiting in the wings? There are guys and gals on the list who have been waiting for over six months for a start.
Also a lot of the new guys have been from unsw

Going Nowhere
1st Dec 2016, 08:36
4 in the first course I was told.

Slightly more in the next.

Hardly "alot" but it'll be part of future recruitment.

Arewegettingjets
1st Dec 2016, 08:42
UNSW? What have they got to offer over a hardened GA candidate? What sort of numbers are we talking here?

ive heard of maybe 6 or so,I'm happened to be corrected. They're in this program that's closely monitored. I don't know what it entails it too well, I've heard bits and pieces from others.

As for the hardened GA candidate comment, I can't help you with that.

Capt Fathom
1st Dec 2016, 09:01
Didn't Qlink and UNSW publicly announce some sort of cooperation sometime recently?
Vaguely recall a photo of a DA40 in a Qantas hangar at Mascot as part of a publicity shoot!

Arewegettingjets
1st Dec 2016, 09:10
Didn't Qlink and UNSW publicly announce some sort of cooperation sometime recently?
Vaguely recall a photo of a DA40 in a Qantas hangar at Mascot as part of a publicity shoot!

Yes I think you're onto something. Attached below:

http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au/news/2015/QantasLinkCollaboration.html

I also believe all graduates go onto the Q400 if my memory serves me right?

Going Nowhere
1st Dec 2016, 10:23
Correct, the first group are already flying a QLink.

Flyboy1987
1st Dec 2016, 23:26
At my level 2 assessment, many of the guys exceeded the DEFO minimums many times over...

We had guys on caravans, chiefys, kingair's and the rest of the gear flying up north.
Why is there any need to hire UNSW low experienced pilots?

busdriver007
2nd Dec 2016, 00:16
You are correct Flyboy. Cadetships were introduced on the UK because there is NO GA and the LCCs make money out of it. Australia does NOT need cadetships and in the US the Jetstar one would be illegal!

Give it the herbs
2nd Dec 2016, 01:25
Flyboy, it comes down to $$$. They can pay low hour fresh CPL's less and keep them for longer. The employer can dictate how and when they get their command hours for upgrades (ie. REX).

Having said that though, I do believe they are looking for a good mix of experience throughout at all levels.. So I wouldn't expect it to be long term full-time strategy.

pinkpanther1
12th Jan 2017, 09:43
Hi all, quick question. When does Qlink HR reopen? got an email mid December informing that I had progressed to the online phsyc testing and would shortly receive a link to complete the testing....alas no link was ever sent. A follow up email to Q resulted in no answer. Anyone else had similar issues? Cheers.

Jay Bo
18th Jan 2017, 06:47
From my view at QCC saw around 8-12 I'm guessing, Qlink pilots starting out heading over to 148. No idea if direct or trainee 1 or 2. Lots of young guys

How's it Hanging
28th Jan 2017, 22:11
Not sure if it has been said before, but those waiting for links for testing or online interviews need to check spam and junk mail folders as they quite often end up there.

Seems the link looks very dodgy to most mail service providers. :suspect:

mikewil
28th Jan 2017, 23:10
Has anyone actually got a "thanks but no thanks" email after completing the online video interview, or is the lack of any form of reply to be taken as such?

I did the video interview back in October and haven't received a reply of any kind.

Ozavatar
28th Jan 2017, 23:16
Hi ,

has anyone got an email to Qantas link HR at all . I received an email earlier stating that i am unsuccessful due to my Psych results .However I am still waiting to receive a link for the Psych Assessment .I have completed the online Video Interview on the 19 December last year.
I have replied back to the email but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks in advance

Oz

Flyboy1987
29th Jan 2017, 01:03
^^^agree. Maybe reapply?
Or keep hasselling HR? A lot of people have been getting strange/weird responses? I imagine HR are very overwhelmed by the number of applicants for Qlink and mainline?

donkey767
29th Jan 2017, 01:04
I did the interview in June '16 and didn't get the email for pysch testing until September. After the pysch test, I heard back about a week later for the assessment centre. From when I put my initial application in to my assessment centre it was 7 months; let's say they don't do anything 'fast' around there

pinkpanther1
29th Jan 2017, 09:43
^^^agree. Maybe reapply?
Or keep hasselling HR? A lot of people have been getting strange/weird responses? I imagine HR are very overwhelmed by the number of applicants for Qlink and mainline?
Do you know how to contact HR? I've can't for the life of me find a phone number and emailed [email protected] is this the correct email?
cheers