View Full Version : FAA ATPL(H) to FAA PPL(A)

7th Mar 2016, 10:35
Not sure anyone has ever walked this route before, but:

I hold a FAA ATPL(H) with over 7500 hours rotary, and not a single hour fixed wing.

For the fun of it i am looking at getting my FAA PPL(A).

I am currently located at a school with FAA instructors, but they are also unsure on the procedures (they have been here in Africa for the past decades), and the FAA was not helpful either.

If i interpret the FAR 61īs correctly, i will only need the instruction time and signature from an instructor, and pass a check ride.

1. What are the minimum hours required? (donīt find anything about "bridging" in the FARs).
2. Can the training be done on non-N-registered aircraft as long as the instructor holds a FAA instructor rating?
3. Is there no written exam required?


Figure Of Merit
8th Mar 2016, 18:05
I also moved to the dark side. To answer your questions-

1- Minimum hours are all in 61.109. You get a reduction from 40 to 35 hours because of your rotary experience (61.109.k.3)

2- Yes, 61.51.j.2

3- If you hold a PPL (H) then there is no additional written. 61.63.b.4

Have fun.

9th Mar 2016, 12:33
Thanks a lot!

15th Mar 2016, 11:56
You get a reduction from 40 to 35 hours because of your rotary experience (61.109.k.3)
This paragraph reduces the required experience from 40 to 35 hours for graduates of approved programs for an initial certificate. The OP "only" requires the items in 61.109 that specifically say "single engine airplane."

Although training from non-FAA instructors and in non-FAA aircraft "counts," I'm not sure (and am now curious) if a non-FAA instructor can complete the paperwork for the check ride. No written is required, but there is still an oral portion to the check ride. Do you want to prepare for that w/ a non-FAA instructor?

You can also do a commercial add-on instead of private. That's more expensive than just doing the private, but cheaper than doing a private and then a commercial add-on.

18th Mar 2016, 13:10
I have three FAA-instructors in our company, who would be doing the flying/training part with me....as said-this would be "for the fun" of it, only....as i only pay for the fuel...

Peter PanPan
19th Sep 2016, 19:48
This was a while back so I figure you must sorted everything by now.

You actually only need 30 hours on an airplane, since the FARs Part 61 states 40 hours total time for a Private Pilot License.

Of those 30 hours, 20 hours are flown dual with an instructor and 10 hours are solo.

§61.109 Aeronautical experience.
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part