PDA

View Full Version : EGLL inbounds holding over BRASO

holding4release
3rd Mar 2016, 15:56
Hi All,
Been an observer of the forum for a while now but only signed up a cpl weeks ago. (my first post seems to have got lost so see where this ends up) Intro's over...

Noticed yesterday between 16:30- l17:30 planes holding at BRASO (over my home town Southend). I know that this is an additional hold on the STAR if LAM gets full but don't often see it used. Was just curious as to the reason in this case if there are any local ATO's reading?

Thanks in advance :)

zonoma
4th Mar 2016, 09:27
BRASO gets used quite regularly, simply due to no room at LAM or availability to stack swap.

holding4release
4th Mar 2016, 12:38
Thanks for responding.

I think I've only ever seen it used once before but I guess I wouldn't always notice. I assumed scheduling would be such that it avoids excessive holding. Are arrivals to large airport s like LHR not fairly predictable from one day to the next?

The ac's I saw must have been at FL200 and above so is it then down to an on route controller to stack them?

I allways find it astounding how much communication ATO's must do. Talking to planes constantly but then they must be talking to each other in the background pretty regularly too.

I must say I find it all pretty fascinating.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Mar 2016, 14:33
ATO? I presume you mean ATCO? Yes, the time spent talking on the radio is only part of the job. At busy ATC units the control positions have telephone or intercom faclities so the controllers can talk to colleagues nearby or controllers at other ATC units.

Aircraft times can vary day to day so that it is almost impossible to know in advance exactly when a particular flight will land. Weather, delays en route, problems at airfields, missing passengers, security problems, etc., can all prevent aircraft arriving on time. On the other hand, if wind is favourable, long haul flights can arrive well before their scheduled times. Great fun!

holding4release
4th Mar 2016, 19:00
Trying to use all the TLA's like a pro backfired a bit! :O

So despite all the flow control systems you can still end up with an hour's worth of planes heaped on your desk in 10 minutes. It must get pretty hectic. Would love to see how it all comes together. it seems like a bit of an art form!

zonoma
4th Mar 2016, 19:59
It is widely published that "no delay" at LHR can mean a hold of up to 20 minutes, so the stacks during the day should always have something in them to allow for optimum runway usage. However if they all come from the same direction, you quickly run out of room..... :}

terrain safe
4th Mar 2016, 21:17
Now when you're holding at Logan and Refso you know you've got a problem!

holding4release
4th Mar 2016, 22:08
The moral of the story, allways leave for EGLL with a full tank!
Pilot:"speedbird123, currently FL250 request descent FL240"
ATC:"speedbird123, negative, climb and maintain FL330, you've got the full race track descent today, 60 minute delay.
Pilot: "we only left Amsterdam 20 minutes ago!"

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Mar 2016, 06:51
I wonder who thought up that piece of "R/T"?

holding4release
5th Mar 2016, 08:03
Be sure to tip the waitress on your way out...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Mar 2016, 08:55
It's garbage like that which spoils the forum.

holding4release
5th Mar 2016, 09:10
Hadn't intended to offend anyone. I have a genuine interest in the operation and was trying to illustrate a point in a light hearted manner. I'll be sure to review forum etiquette before posting in future. Thanks again everyone who took the time to responded. Often have burning questions regarding ATC and it's good to have a platform where you can ask the experts. I hope to fly one day and wouldn't be happy doing so not knowing something of the system that keeps tin from touching tin. Keep up the good work. I have true admiration for the unsung heroes of the aviation world.

Chesty Morgan
5th Mar 2016, 09:12
Engineers?

;)

holding4release
5th Mar 2016, 11:47
On the contrary; engineers are paid to make "tin touch tin" :=

Chesty Morgan
5th Mar 2016, 22:19
Ah, you must mean pilots then.

holding4release
6th Mar 2016, 10:18
Nah, nothing heroic about that lot ;) Perhaps the term "unsung" was seen backhanded, do I need to change my user name again?