PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair in near miss with Israeli fighter jets

IanPartridge
1st Mar 2016, 18:11
Some papers reporting near miss between Ryanair and Israeli fighters

Collision averted between Ryanair plane and Israel Air Force jets - Israel News - Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-Collision-averted-between-Ryanair-plane-and-Israeli-Air-Force-jets-446543)

Flight radar for today's flight https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ei-fia/#8f76d5b

There's a bit of a kink in the flightpath after departure compared to a previous flight https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ei-fia/#8f041c0 but that may be just my eyes!! :8

Ian

Bergholt
2nd Mar 2016, 06:40
See Aviation Herald.

'No loss of separation occurred, no TCAS resolution of advisory activated...

Radar data shows no anomaly whatsoever in the flight trajectories for flights FR 2616 and FR 2617.'

Nemrytter
2nd Mar 2016, 06:51
no TCAS resolution of advisory activated...Assuming, of course, that TCAS could produce advisories for those aircraft.

Sober Lark
2nd Mar 2016, 07:18
Assuming, of course, that TCAS could produce advisories for those aircraft.

So Ian's first post on Pprune as 'Ian' should have read 'Israeli fighter jets in near miss with Ryanair'.

Bergholt
2nd Mar 2016, 07:46

Apologies for the typo. Should have read '...No loss of separation occurred, no TCAS resolution or traffic advisory activated.'

IanPartridge
2nd Mar 2016, 13:58
So Ian's first post on Pprune as 'Ian' should have read 'Israeli fighter jets in near miss with Ryanair'.

Yep back under my rock.......and I saw the AV Herald piece after I had submitted the post!!!! :ugh:

underfire
3rd Mar 2016, 03:21

TCAS will 'see' them if they have the transponder on, but not provide a solution unless they have the transponder active...
no transponder on, well.

armchairpilot94116
3rd Mar 2016, 18:36
Many moons ago watched two F5 of the Taiwanese Air Force (ROCAF) buzz a Japan Airlines airliner on final approach to Taipei's SungShan Airport from the side . The airliner was only a few hundred feet high and minutes from landing, gear already down. One F5 went on top of the airliner and the other went below. Less then 100 feet on top and same below , is my best guess.

Wonder if any complaint was received.

If it was an American airliner I would think there would be a complaint. Thought it fairly reckless myself of the fighters. But they probably had the situation under control. Just wanted to freak out the airliner.

Nialler
4th Mar 2016, 11:18
Many moons ago watched two F5 of the Taiwanese Air Force (ROCAF) buzz a Japan Airlines airliner on final approach to Taipei's SungShan Airport from the side . The airliner was only a few hundred feet high and minutes from landing, gear already down. One F5 went on top of the airliner and the other went below. Less then 100 feet on top and same below , is my best guess.

Wonder if any complaint was received.

If it was an American airliner I would think there would be a complaint. Thought it fairly reckless myself of the fighters. But they probably had the situation under control. Just wanted to freak out the airliner.
Could it be that there was a very high ranking person on board?

armchairpilot94116
8th Mar 2016, 19:53
Could it be that there was a very high ranking person on board?

I never thought about that. Perhaps so, seeing relations between Taiwan and China were less then friendly then. The F5 may have provided cover for the VVIP once in Taiwan airspace. Taking over from Japanese fighter cover.

That was one heck of a salute if that was what it was .