PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry in your flight bag?

ETOPS773
24th Jun 2002, 15:39
Hi,Just wondering what all you guys keep in your flightbag??
Would be interesting to see what everyone carries / any tips?

ETOPS

AerBabe
24th Jun 2002, 15:48
We had this one a few months ago: link (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42898)

To update though, I've now removed all but 2 of my airsick bags, my out of date maps, the chocolate bar wrapper, and the marker pens that didn't work :D

ETOPS773
24th Jun 2002, 15:52
Didn`t see that one.thanks for the info AerBabe!!

Whirlybird
24th Jun 2002, 17:29
I've added a couple of small blow-up cushions (available at camping shops) for the times I hire an aircraft on impulse in a new place and can't reach the pedals. :eek: In Florida I flew an R44 for the first time, leaning against my flight bag. Not wonderfully comfortable, but I survived to tell the tale.

englishal
24th Jun 2002, 17:55
A packet of fags (Cigarettes to the Americans :p ) and two lighters. Its a nightmare if you lose one.......

Damn, just remembered I've given up.....:(

EA:D

Aussie Andy
24th Jun 2002, 18:37
New thing I'd recommend everyone to add to their flight bag is aCAA's new "LASORS" book - check it out here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292)

Evo7
24th Jun 2002, 19:01
LASORS is very good - however I'm already wordering if I should include my flight bag in the weight & balance checks so my copy is sitting at home. I figure I can probably survive circuits without needing to know the requirements for a CPL(B) flight test... :)

However, it did make me wonder how much heavier my flight bag can get. Ever since I started the weight seems to have been going up and up as I add Pooleys, LASORS (ditched again), a PA-28 guide, kneeboards, assorted Nav kit, pencils and plogs. I've already outgrown a headset case and then Transair's Cockpit bag, and I've moved on to their 'Traveller'. I'm gonna be packing a suitcase if this goes on.... :eek: :rolleyes: :)

slim_slag
24th Jun 2002, 21:45
A packet of fags (Cigarettes to the Americans ) and two lighters. Its a nightmare if you lose one.......

It's said that you are more likely to survive a accidental night out in the open when backcountry skiing if you are a smoker. You always carry the means to light a fire and keep warmer.

Aussie Andy
24th Jun 2002, 22:19
One good reason to carry LASORS is that you don't need to remember to have a whole set of differnt AIC's and Safety Sense leaflets with you, many of which are a good idea to have handy e.g. when trying to remember all the factors you should use when calculating take-off/landing performance, etc. etc.

Another good reason is that it includes the interception procedures - the French (and others?) require that you carry a copy of these with you at all times! I bet many don't, and by carrying this one book there's no need to remember ;)

FlyingForFun
25th Jun 2002, 08:23
Evo, I'm willing to be that your bag isn't as heavy as mine - maybe we should compare next time we meet up?

I still haven't been able to figure out why my bag is so much heavier than anyone else's, because I still have very little in there that's not essential:

Headset
CRP1 and non-permanent marker pen
Chart with permanent marker pens of various colours
Kneeboard, with pens/pencils
Blank flight planning/logging sheets
License, passport and logbook
Operating notes for the Europa
Checklist for the PA28, which I can probably remove since I don't fly PA28s very often any more
Notebook and pen
Pooleys

All of this goes everywhere with me (except when I'm doing aerobatics which, sadly, doesn't happen very often). Even if I'm just doing circuits. I know people who will happily fly in the circuit with just a headset and (maybe!) a chart. As I said on the previous thread, if someone lands gear-up and closes the airfield, I want to have all the information to hand so that I can find my way to another airfield.

I don't have a sick-bag, but probably should, although there is one that lives in the aircraft.

FFF
-------------

Lowtimer
25th Jun 2002, 08:24
AerBabe -

What on earth do you use the small bottle of AVGAS for? If I ever want a drop to help wipe the oil off something, that's what the fuel tester's for...

Having said that, small bottles of volative substances are no stranger to my own flight bag. Apart from the same things as everyone else, I carry: spare glasses, spare spare glasses (as my AME said, I _really_ need them when I'm flying!), and a little all-in-one glasses cleaner kit which includes a pump-action alcohol-based cleaning spray and a small non-scratchy cloth.

Last year's chart has now moved from my flight bag to the briefcase I take to work, where it features in the occasional coffee-break daydream. Though this is not always understood by the uninitiated. e.g. last evening at the dinner table: "Where are you going, dear?" asks the missus, seeing dinner table bedecked with half-mil. "Just working out how I'm going to get to Wroughton." "And do you think you'll have worked it out by October, when you're going?"

Romeo Romeo
25th Jun 2002, 08:53
I reckon the small bottle of AVGAS for her 'pulse-points' in case she meets a hunkey bloke pilot! ;)

Reichman
25th Jun 2002, 09:58
I have the problem (and social stigma) of flying for my job and for a hobby.

Flying for job:

1. Map - Has most of the info you need on it. If not you can write on it.

2. Chinagraph (for writing on map).

3. Watch - Russian wind up so no batteries to run out. To be used in conjunction with compass (usually already fitted to aircraft).

4. Wallet - Contains ID card, credit card and a bit of cash.

Flying for fun:

As above + Licence.

Who has control?
25th Jun 2002, 09:59
I don't know what I've got in my Flight Bag, but I'm willing to bet its heavier than anyone elses.

The problem is that there is nothing in there that I don't need, headsets, kneeboard, etc, etc. I've even started taking another bag with sunglasses, wallet, GPS, & mobile phone in it.

Remind me to weigh it & post the result.

Grim Reaper 14
25th Jun 2002, 10:23
All the previously mentioned stuff, plus a 'Leatherman' (the Multitool version!), just in case I see a horse in distress....:rolleyes:

FlyingForFun
25th Jun 2002, 10:25
A flying horse, presumably? You get them all the time near me..... :D

FFF
----------------

tacpot
25th Jun 2002, 16:09
As well as the Leatherman (mine's a cheapo copy), I've decided I'm going to add a crisp £20 note to my flightbag. I seem to have a problem with the concept of landing fees - everytime I land away, I have heartstopping moment while I wonder whether or not I have remembered to bring any cash for the landing fee. :eek:

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 16:53
Lowtimer, the bottle of Avgas is to clean my maps off. And sniff. Lovely stuff... mmmmm :p Romeo Romeo has a good point though. If I like the smell so much, maybe nice men in growbags will too :D

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jun 2002, 19:42
I'm sure I answered it before, but my nav-bag is sat here, so let's see...

GPS
Spare strap
Calculator
Control force gauge & tape measure (I live an interesting life)
Kneeboard
gash trip logbook
type data cards
RAF Flight Information Handbook
RAF Minor airfields guide
Pooleys
Torch
Pens and pencils
Spare batteries
Stick-on compass roses
Flying Gloves
Baseball cap
Loo roll
Assorted charts
Dalton computer
Blank ASI Calibration charts
Scale map rule
(where the hell has my protractor gone, it should be in here)
Couple of old flying magazines.
Swiss army knife.

There's usually a cockpit voice recorder as well.

G

ShyTorque
25th Jun 2002, 20:56
Genghis,

I know you lead an interesting flying life but "A LOO ROLL" in the flight bag?

I hope I never get that scared....:D

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 21:12
I'm more intrigued by the 'spare strap' :confused: ;) :eek: :D

LowNSlow
25th Jun 2002, 21:22
After checking on the previous post I've discovered that my flight bag has put on even more weight than it's owner. it now weighs in at a stunning 14 lbs. I've even ditched the big old GPS for a current model. Mmmm, must be the extra spare batteries :t

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jun 2002, 22:16
Loo roll because I've found myself at too many small strips with loos but a distinct lack of loo-roll. Actually it's about 1/3 of a loo roll, which fits in the corner quite nicely.

Spare strap for tieing things down, to me, or to the aircraft.

G

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jun 2002, 22:23
13½ lbf plus the weight of my force gauge, which I just used to weigh it - so about the same as LowNslow.

G

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jun 2002, 22:28
And thinking about it, at-least one allegedly international airport lacking any paper products in what were laughably called "toilets" as well.

G

paulo
25th Jun 2002, 23:24
At all too many small strips, I also find inadequate facilies. I myself carry:

Straws
MIDI Hifi (Saisho), excellent value.
Selection of affordable (and why not?) easy listening cassette tapes.
3+ Ginsters Pasties. Lovely hot or cold.
Moist wipes, large roll. All situations catered for in comfort. If you run out of pasties, can be just as tasty.
Small, crap, Radio Set for light ground entertaintment, with Radio 2 premarked on dial with Tip-Exx.
All manuals regardless of remote necessity. Including Eastern Europe. And B747 Classic. Just in case.
War Stories.
Cockeral. Generally runs to the North. Practical animal-based compass check when 'magnetism' is on the blink ('bloody always, eh!! these rubbish new fangled systems."
Sextant (in case Cockeral bug6ers off)
Small Bloke Who knows how to use sextant. Beginning now to clutch at what where rather sh!t straws any way. See Straws