PDA

View Full Version : Mooney pilot has close call landing on street in California

rotornut
24th Feb 2016, 14:46
Plane's crash landing in street caught on camera - CNN Video (http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/02/23/small-plane-street-crash-landing-caught-on-camera-pkg.ktla/video/playlists/planes-near-miss/)

brakedwell
24th Feb 2016, 15:43
In the UK he would pick up a parking ticket. :eek:

ATC Watcher
24th Feb 2016, 16:44
Did a good job, find a spot straight ahead , no turn back, OK, luck did not injured anybody in the process, but saved his life ( and would probably saved his pax too if he had some ) Well done !

TLDNMCL
24th Feb 2016, 17:08
Ditto the car driver :eek:

YRP
24th Feb 2016, 20:43
It wasn't a fuel exhaustion problem anyway, looked like plenty in the right tank at least.

golfyankeesierra
24th Feb 2016, 21:07
It wasn't a fuel exhaustion problem anyway, looked like plenty in the right tank at least.
I remember the fuel valve as great threat in the Mooney
Only flew it a couple of times (and don't remember which type as it was 25 years ago) but I do remember the idiotic place for the fuel valve to switch tanks. It was hidden somewhere under your seat and you couldn't see it, only feel it.

golfyankeesierra
24th Feb 2016, 21:17
And when flying single engine I was always taught to keep an eye for an open field. Now I do understand LA is a little crowded and doesn't have many open fields left but don't you need to have some more altitude then?
Gives you more options than to have to put it down on a road in the middle of a village! He endangered a lot of people and it's just sheer luck, rather than a good job...
Or am I a little old fashioned? :)

172driver
24th Feb 2016, 23:19
Or am I a little old fashioned?

Don't know, but you certainly have never been to L.A.

mm_flynn
25th Feb 2016, 13:47
And when flying single engine I was always taught to keep an eye for an open field. Now I do understand LA is a little crowded and doesn't have many open fields left but don't you need to have some more altitude then?
Gives you more options than to have to put it down on a road in the middle of a village! He endangered a lot of people and it's just sheer luck, rather than a good job...
Or am I a little old fashioned? :)In the US you are (or at least I was when being trained) actively encouraged to consider roads for forced landing areas. It does show how remarkably small an distance one needs to 'safely' crash a light aircraft.

PS -
Shouldn't this be in GA?

SLFguy
25th Feb 2016, 15:47
Shouldn't this be in GA?

No, Pacoima is definitely in CA.

dont overfil
25th Feb 2016, 15:55
Whttp://www.pprune.org/members/186894-dont-overfil-albums-la-picture205-calif-07-205.jpg

Where else do you go.

n5296s
25th Feb 2016, 16:29
Where else do you go.
Well, if you're GYS, you just fly high enough. The LA basin is about 50 miles across and completely full of housing and buildings. My plane has a pretty decent glide ratio, about 12:1, so GYS would just fly at 50,000 feet. Simples. Or in the Pitts, with a glide ratio of 3:1 on a good day, at about 200,000 feet. It just takes a bit of simple arithmetic...

Silvaire1
25th Feb 2016, 18:31
Or am I a little old fashioned?

I do think the 'knights in shining armor and their cantankerous machines' view of pilots and planes is 80 years out of date. In the US, light aircraft are a (relatively reliable) part of the transport system, flown by normal people to do normal things in normal places. If an aircraft is forced to land, the expectation is that the pilot will do his best in whatever circumstances arise. No different than if the steering system on a car fails and it heads off in an unintended direction. In that case, the driver does what he can, those affected do what they can, and the risk is accepted by everybody as part of normal life.

In the US, I was instructed to view roads as one resource to consider in a forced landing situation. In some place like the L.A. basin it might well be the only resource that the infrastructure allows. There are also water drainage culverts and gold courses here and there, but roads are often the best bet.

n5296s
25th Feb 2016, 18:46
gold courses here and there
What a nice idea! Though I thought that was further north, around Sacramento?

Silvaire1
25th Feb 2016, 18:51
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2015/news/150316/ford-plane-800.jpg

alex90
25th Feb 2016, 19:49
http://giantgag.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/funny-any-landing-you-can-walk-away-from-is-a-good-one-01.jpg

But in all honesty - impressive & lucky to have escaped this unharmed.

golfyankeesierra
25th Feb 2016, 21:12
Ok sorry guys, just ignore my post, never flew over LA with less then four…
Cheers

172driver
25th Feb 2016, 21:17
Ok sorry guys, just ignore my post, never flew over LA with less then four…

Ah, that's a different perspective ;) Apologies accepted....

vancouv
26th Feb 2016, 10:00
Is there not a single engine restriction over LA like there is over London? Doesn't look like you could glide clear.

alland2012
26th Feb 2016, 11:05
Wow ! happy to see it was a good outcome and only bent metal.

I fly Florida lots of open spaces to put down...just need to watch for the gators ...:eek:

Baikonour
26th Feb 2016, 11:36
vancouv: Is there not a single engine restriction over LA like there is over London? Doesn't look like you could glide clear.

In my limited experience, the 'Glide clear' rule is one of those UK specificities, like the 'Basic(cally useless) service' which other countries do not have.

Whenever I have flown abroad and mentioned it, the people I talk to normally say something like "Gee, that's a nice idea, but how does it work in practice?". As shown by this thread, it would make SEP flight in many places of the world impractical at best or impossible at worst.
So a bit like the UK, really...

B.

Flying Lawyer
26th Feb 2016, 16:57
I suspect that's correct.

I spent a week flying a single engine news helicopter (Bell Jetranger) over LA about 20 years ago. They still do as far as I'm aware. (There are more open spaces in which to land in an emergency than some might assume.)
Single engine helicopters over London are restricted to flying along the Thames.

piperboy84
26th Feb 2016, 18:57
Flying lawyer (There are more open spaces in which to land in an emergency than some might assume.)

Absolutely, I fly my single almost every day around the LA basin from the beaches around downtown LA, Long beach and out over the easter suburbs mostly between 1000 and 2000 AGL. there are a ton of places for an emergency landing from golf courses, the concrete LA river and other storm run offs, big wide lightly trafficked residential streets and sports grounds. S

You may bend your plane but the odds are your going to walk away. Some of those warehouses alongside the train tracks are so long that landing on the roof would be relatively easy, i've landed in shorter "airstrips" in Scotland

Above The Clouds
26th Feb 2016, 19:32
I would say a perfect demo of parallel parking :)