PDA

View Full Version : 3 Axis Microlight hours counting towards PPL(A) Revalidation hours?

noblues
24th Feb 2016, 11:51
I've heard their is a strong rumour that the CAA/EASA are going to allow 3 Axis Microlight hours to count towards the PPL(A) 12hrs in 24 months revalidation hours?

Has anyone else heard this or have any info?

BEagle
24th Feb 2016, 12:45
It is one of the recommendations which IAOPA(Europe) made in response to NPA2014-29.

A definition of three-axis microlights was proposed:

"Three-axis control system" - means a flight control system in which aerodynamic control surface movement is used to control the aircraft directly in pitch, roll and yaw.

The recommendation is that flight time in microlights should be acceptable towards SEP revalidation criteria provided that:

- the aircraft is fitted with a three-axis control system, a non-flexible wing and is not foot-launched; and

- at least 1 hour of PIC time and 6 take-offs and landings are completed in aircraft in the same class which are not defined as microlights.

We await the Comment Response Document....

noblues
24th Feb 2016, 13:59
Thanks for that BEagle ....

The microlight I fly is of far higher performance than your average 'spam can' .... it would be a welcome change.

patowalker
24th Feb 2016, 14:46
When I showed him a photo of my CH601UL and asked if microlight hours counted towards an FAA PPL, my instructor replied: "It is an airplane, isn't it?".
Stupid question. :)

pda1
9th May 2017, 09:48
Is there any update regarding this situation?

Whopity
9th May 2017, 09:58
Is there any update regarding this situation? made in response to NPA2014-29.
Do you really expect Europe to respond within 3 years, if at all?

chevvron
9th May 2017, 15:23
I seem to remember when it was 5 every 13 months, up to 2 microlight hours could be counted.

BEagle
10th May 2017, 09:44
Whopity wrote: Do you really expect Europe to respond within 3 years, if at all?

Actually, it's now around 6 years since the RMT.0188 group started work - although the resulting Opinion is now 2½ years late....:rolleyes:

noblues
12th May 2018, 21:38
Has this now changed .... I heard it had?

BEagle
13th May 2018, 06:40
No change yet with regard to Microlight flight time credit for Part-FCL SEP Class Rating revalidation, although it is allowable towards the revalidation of such ratings included in legacy UK PPLs.

IAOPA and LAA continue to press for EASA to recognise fully all flight time on Annex II (non-microlight / ultralight) for training, testing, revalidation and renewal purposes. Once they've agreed to that, we will try to include 3-axis microlight time, perhaps with any decision devolved to NAAs - if that's allowable.

Sam Rutherford
13th May 2018, 08:03
Out of interest, does time in an N reg SEP (ICAO aeroplane) count towards the EASA licence requirements?

I'm sure I should know this, but I don't!

BillieBob
13th May 2018, 09:58
The registration of the aircraft is irrelevant. If it's not included in Annex II to the Basic Regulation then it's an EASA aeroplane.

rusty sparrow
13th May 2018, 15:15
No change yet with regard to Microlight flight time credit for Part-FCL SEP Class Rating revalidation, although it is allowable towards the revalidation of such ratings included in legacy UK PPLs.
<snip>.

Hey Beagle, does this mean that 3 axis microlight time will be counted against revalidation for my 1980s Brown PPL?

Capt Kremmen
13th May 2018, 16:47
rusty

Three axis microlite time can count towards hours to maintain your brown job.

rusty sparrow
14th May 2018, 07:40
rusty

Three axis microlite time can count towards hours to maintain your brown job.

Thanks KC - that will make things a lot cheaper :)