PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone Restrictions 5,6,7 July

Aussie Andy
24th Jun 2002, 13:17
As I'm sure everyone is aware, the British Grand Prix will be staged at Silverstone over 5, 6 & 7 July. FYI, the restrictions of flying in relation to this event are in an AIC at http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/aic/4M055.PDF

I'd planned a day out that day from Wycombe to Leicester, including taking some friends on a local flight Leicester - Silverstone (see the pretty race-cars!) - Sywell (land) and back to Leicester, so thought I'd better check this out.

The temporary Silverstone restricted airspace only goes up to 2500' ALT so as long as cloud base is not a problem, I was thinking about orbiting overhead anyway... but the AIC also warns that up to 4 communications relay helicopters may be operating in the airspace above the TRA so I think to play safe we'll only be able to do this if ceiling lets us do so at say 5,000' for safety.

Hope the link might be useful to anyone else planning to fly in the area that weekend.

Biker Pilot
24th Jun 2002, 13:52
Even without the restricted airspace, your lower level would have been 3280ft agl (no flying within 1000m of an open air gathering)...

BP

Aussie Andy
24th Jun 2002, 13:55
Excellent point! Thanks :)

The Nr Fairy
24th Jun 2002, 14:21
A point I'd not thought of, but now BikerP has brought it up, even if you were flying at a reasonable height above the gathering but below 3280' then a valid defence is to show that your flight was not connected with the event.

That aside, I think with all the helicopters floating about, you're bloody wise to avoid it !

distaff_beancounter
24th Jun 2002, 18:25
Aussie Andy

Unless you are very brave, & a very confident & experienced flyer, with eyes out of the back, front & sides of your head, I would strongly advise giving the whole area a very wide berth.

Due to the sheer intensity of flights, a few years ago, all fixed-wing flights into the circuit were stopped, Also only helicopetrs flown by CPL(H) or ATPL(H) are now allowed in. Slots have to be booked several months in advance.

I have done helicopter ground crew duties, at the BGP, & it is quite scary enough just watching all the heli movements from the ground!

Apart from the shuttle helis, there are other helis fliming, & police & air ambulance helis. Some years there are also airships for filming. AND of course don't forget the Red Arrows doing displays (usually just on the Sunday)

I would take your friends somewhere else, & watch the BGP on the TV :)

Aussie Andy
24th Jun 2002, 18:33
distaff_beancounter - plan was not to enter the zone, let alone the circuit... but if ceiling allows, maybe to overfly @ FL55 or so.

distaff_beancounter
24th Jun 2002, 18:44
Aussie Andy

Yes, I had assumed that you were not going to enter the TRA.

However, apart from inside the TRA, there will be a lot of helis flying in from all parts of the UK on those 3 days. Most of the "shuttlle services" operate from farmers fields, just a few miles from the circuit, but a lot of other helis, pick up people from all around the UK, & fly direct into Silverstone.

So, there will be a lot of traffic converging on Silverstone, but I expect that most of the helis will be approaching, at less than the 5,000ft that you are planning.

Have fun ...... & safe flying ;)

matspart3
24th Jun 2002, 21:47
If Silverstone looks too scary, there's the Cotswold Aero Club75th Anniversary/PFA Strut Fly-In at Gloucestershire Airport on Sunday 7th...complete with a discounted landing fee!! You'd be most welcome!

Wycombe
25th Jun 2002, 12:07
....having seen it from the ground at numerous BGP weekends, the heli-ops that take place that weekend are mighty impressive (almost worth going to look at on their own)

Andy, I guess you ought to be safe at the base of controlled (FL55, as you say, in that area), but there will be helis (some flying in convoy!) all over the local area, as well as a large no. of light (and not so light) fixed wings converging on (mainly) Oxford & Turweston, which will make the area to the North of WAP very busy, if past years are anything to go by.

Although it's a great weekend, it's tempered with sadness for me, as after attending the race (in '93, I think) I found out that a former instructor of mine had been killed in an accident at Oxford the same day when the PA28 he was instructing in got into the downwash of an S61 heli (which was operating shuttle's to Silverstone) whilst on short finals....he was the first (and luckily still the only) person I've flown with to have been killed in a flying accident :( :(

Aussie Andy
25th Jun 2002, 13:01
Cheers Wycombe - seems like my main problem might be threading my way through to get up to Leicester then. At least it'll be the Saturday, which hopefully is not as bad as the Sunday... If ceiling is high it should be easy enough to climb above to route across. If not, I might look at alternative routings... but if via Oxford is a bad idea to the West, and via Cranfield is a bad idea to the East, and through the middle is a bad idea to the North, then its starting to look like a difficult choice!? Maybe I'll have to look at routing out across Luton, throug their overhead lane? Haven't done that b4 though, and of course they may be busy and not let me through, so on balance reckon I'll head north and try to stay above the fray... thoughts anyone?

ShyTorque
25th Jun 2002, 17:42
As one pilot required to fly in and out of this event a number of times during the weekend, a plea for all not connected with it to stay well clear for the flight safety benefit of all concerned.

Quite frankly, it is so busy that weekend that the last thing we need is pleasure flights in any shape or form floating about the area. Be aware that some IFR equipped aircraft may climb out of the area at surprisingly high altitudes, specifically to avoid the lower airspace congestion.

Ta!:)

Aussie Andy
25th Jun 2002, 17:47
Hi,

From all that's been said I have gone off the idea of merely "floating" around - will take the friends from Leicester on a different excursion in a different direction... but I am still left with the problem of GETTING there, i.e. from Wycombe to Leicester. The airspace is not closed, and I can't see how else to get to where I want to!

CoJoe
25th Jun 2002, 18:32
Andy

if it were me, I'd route to the east. Luton usually accomodating in my experience - but do give those heli's a wide berth.

If you find yourself lonely at Leicester, gissa shout - will pop in for a brew.