PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of being an instructor

The man formerly known as
24th Jun 2002, 12:43
Are there any advantages of being a flying instructor other than being able to teach people, fly for a small reward and get a natty uniform to impress the girls at the bar with.

For example I heard that most private aircraft insurance schemes include any flying instructor as well as the named owners of the group. This could broaden the range of aircraft available to fly. Is this true?

Are there any other hidden advantages over a standard CPL?

whisperbrick
24th Jun 2002, 19:46
Brother,
If you think the natty uniform of a cheap pilots shirt, "NATO" wooly-pully, cheap tie and shoes (that are constantly wearing thin on one side due to the constant use of rudder) impresses the ladies i think you should frequent some more upmarket pubs !

More than likely you will get mistaken for a copper (one cabair instructor at elstree was and got pelted with coins by some yobbos) or if you go into B+Q someone will ask you were the MDF is kept !!

Seriously, I don't know what you are looking for:ppl instruction is about gaining experience and making a little pocket money as you do.Occassionally nice things may happen such as a private owner witha nice a/c who wants you to go with him to France or whatever ( I got a trip to Leipzig off one such)but thats it......

Kermit 180
25th Jun 2002, 08:57
Pelted with coins? :confused: (Considers doubling instructor's income by entering yobbo areas dressed as a cop) :D

But seriously, there is very little in the way of 'coolness' about the clothes or the job. It is a professional job that should have people respecting you for your ability to teach and lead by example, not by your clothes.

As for the advantages, yep the ocassional trips are great, you get to fly a range of different aircraft over time, keep current, and remain in touch with rules and procedures.

Kermie:rolleyes:

The Greaser
25th Jun 2002, 10:10
I think some people are missing a big point about instructing - it improves your flying skills enormously. And for this alone it is worth pursuing.

FormationFlyer
27th Jun 2002, 12:33
Absolutely - my own skills are now probably 2x or 3x what they were....Im quite astounded. Yes it helps with currency...but there is another advantage of instructing over any other form of flying....that day when one of your students says 'yeah I had a really problem with that...but youve sorted it out now.' - I dont want thanks, I just want to see my students progress and be successful - but nothing can top that 'warm glow' feeling you get when you receive true gratitude from a student that you have *truely* helped.....

I also get to fly with a lot of existing PPLs at one of my clubs...and this can be *really* good fun...my aim as an instructor on these check flights is threefold...I try to make sure they are still safe (to a good standard) - for their own & their passengers sake as much as the clubs; to help with any questions/issues they may have; and finally to try and give them at least one tip/new experience that they can learn from and take away with them. Some of the most rewarding flights have been with these existing PPLs where I have succeeded in giving them something new...

There is *much* more to instructing than merely hours & aircraft...

fireflybob
27th Jun 2002, 16:19
Not only does instructing improve your flying skills (hopefully) it also improves your people skills. There is nothing quite like teaching at the flying club/school level to meet such a diverse group of students who wish to learn to fly for a myriad of different reasons.

Flying instruction is not for everyong but you also have an "end product". There is nothing quite like seeing a student progress from fledging pilot to competent PPL etc. , especially when they have had certain challenges to overcome on the way and you have perhaps facilitated them to be successful.

Everyone remembers their basic flying training (mine was over 30 years ago and I can recall my first solo like yesterday) and also their flying instructor for better or worse!

Yes the pay and conditions are not too good unless you go to the commercial schools but there is much job satisfaction to be had and although the hours can be long they are not nearly as anti-social as other sectors of the aviation business.

Squealing Pig
30th Jun 2002, 22:11
Somtimes get asked if I am the security gaurd, "No I'm Not he gets paid twice as much money as me"

Flying instruction develops better people skills, better siuational awareness, and flying skills, aswell as gaining those preciouse hours

But not spelling skills

Up & Away
1st Jul 2002, 19:20
I enjoyed Instructing (back in the early80's) but got p...off knowing every other job was better paid!!!!
Went of to the North Sea got command.
Went off to the Airlines got command
but now I'm back!!
Instructing by choice ...I still enjoy it sod the money

Hope you all feel better now