PDA

View Full Version : FRTO validity

Hants Eaglet
22nd Feb 2016, 06:13
Perusing the CAA FCL pages in their website the other day I noticed that it says that "Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licences issued before Sept 2012 have a validity of 10 years".

So does that mean that any issued much earlier are now invalid after 10 years, despite them stating that they are valid for the life of the validity of the PPL to which they are attached? E.G. If your FRTO Licence is dated 1977 is it still valid? Is a re-test and re-application required to remain RT legal?

Is there an expert out there who can decifer the legislation please?

Flyingmac
22nd Feb 2016, 06:59
I've reached the point where I don't bother trying to keep up. I'm not alone.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2016, 07:49
It's says on my licence that I have demonstrated competence to operate RT equipment. That's all I care about now.

BEagle
22nd Feb 2016, 09:14
The wording states:

Stand alone UK FRTOL issued before 17 September 2012, had a ten year validity. When these licences expire, if the holder still requires to hold an FRTOL, they must complete form SRG 1106 and pay the appropriate fee.

A UK FRTOL issued after 17 September 2012, does not expire, but it is not valid unless the holder has language proficiency in English at Level 6, or at Level 4 or 5 that has not expired.

Before 2012, LASORS clarified things rather better:

A FRTOL issued to a person holding no other UK issued flight crew licence is valid for a period of 10 years; a fee as prescribed in the CAA Scheme of Charges is made for the issue of such licences.

Where a FRTOL is issued in conjunction with another UK issued flight crew licence the validity period of the FRTOL will be the same as the flight crew licence to which it is associated. If the associated flight crew licence is allowed to expire, the FRTOL shall be valid for a period not greater than 10 years from the last renewal/revalidation of the flight crew licence.

Hence it is only a standalone FRTOL which is subject to the 10 year clause (or when being used with an expired pilot licence for some reason).

An FRTOL issued with a pilot licence in 1977 remains valid as long as the associated pilot licence remains valid.

Fly4Business
22nd Feb 2016, 09:27
Hi folks, I now signed in because of this issue and am really confused.

I was told lately, unfortunately on the phone only, that FRTO now always have an expiration date(?), that this was due to some EU regulations and grandfathering of the old unlimited operators licenses will run out 2012+10, equals in the year 2022. I tried to find regulations for that statement and was drown in <unspeakable> virtual papers. This whole EU stuff makes me sick and I tend to ignore it.

Hants Eaglet
22nd Feb 2016, 09:30
Thanks very much for that BEagle:ok:. I will now rest assured that myself and many of my flying compatriots are not illegal RT wise. The CAA website could be much clearer, although I guess if you have the patience to delve deeper the licences would be defined precisely.

With most things FCL if you ask 3 people you get 3 different answers, but your answer looks correct and is good enough for me!