PDA

View Full Version : Sandown Airfield Restaurant

cojones
20th Feb 2016, 15:07
Does anyone know if the new restaurant at Sandown Airfield is open for business? I believe the previous one burned down a couple of years ago. It was a very pleasant place to meet, eat and have a drink. The last time I was there a couple of months ago, there was only the very greasy spoon at the base of the tower that was available for refreshments.
It's still a lovely airfield and it exemplifies everything a good aviation buff could wish for.
After a long layoff from tail-dragging, I managed to bounce my Chipmunk three times in pilot-induced oscillations, and they still only charged me for one landing.
Going back next week - hoping for a better arrival!

pulse1
20th Feb 2016, 16:01
I would check on the runway state before you set off. Sandown was never the most resilient in wet weather and most grass runways in the South have suffered badly in this most awful of Winters.

There is a very good small cafe, Carla's, which hardly deserves the description "very greasy spoon". FYI the restaurant burnt down in 2007 and Carla has been keeping visitors well fed and watered since then.

alex90
20th Feb 2016, 20:06
I can confirm that the restaurant is still open and still excellent. I was there a few months ago.

Although as mentioned above, it may be a little soggy! For the last few months it has rained quite a bit!

Here is the address: http://www.eghn.org.uk

Alternatively, you could always go to Bembridge, it has a hard runway and a nice pub called the propeller inn, never been disappointed there!

Have a nice flight!

flybymike
20th Feb 2016, 22:44
nice pub called the propeller inn, never been disappointed there!
I think you would be disappointed now.
As far as I know the propeller inn has closed.

alex90
20th Feb 2016, 23:28
Really?? When did that happen!? I know they close for a couple of months in winter some years, as it can get pretty quiet...

I think I last went there in September 2015 and it was jam packed! Day and night alike! It'd be sad if it had shut.

TheOddOne
21st Feb 2016, 08:41
If you're going to Bembridge, then THE place to eat is the Crab and Lobster. It's a pleasant walk. The Propellor looked rally tawdry last time I flew in to Bembridge (last Summer), as sadly did the whole of the aerodrome site, all closed up and down-at-heel. The runway, however, was in excellent condition. We PPR'd on the recorded message and left the landing fee in the honesty box. No radio, no-one in attendance at all, mid-week.

Sandown is a more attractive option in the Summer, with a lovely walk down to Shanklin via the chine, lunch near the beach and possibly a taxi back if you're not up to the considerable climb back.

TOO

hiflymk3
21st Feb 2016, 09:55
If you venture into Ventnor you can enjoy superb crab sandwiches at the Spyglass Inn. Sit on the terrace and soak up the sea views or look up at Victorian Italianate Ventnor. Well worth the trip.

flybymike
21st Feb 2016, 11:32
Re; propeller inn closing, Link to their Facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Propeller-Inn-121092747918230/?ref=br_rs

alex90
21st Feb 2016, 11:53
oh I will miss that place... Someone mentioned that the landlord didn't want to renew the lease... Does that mean that the pub will be closed forever and sold as real estate? Or that someone else will be taking it over and doing it up / giving it a little lick of paint?

It seems to me that a lot of aerodromes, airfields and airports (as well as facilities there) are shutting down, being turned into corporate places, or turned into housing estates. Sad really!

flybymike
21st Feb 2016, 12:09
Yes, GA and airfields seem to be collapsing around us these days.

Let's hope someone picks up the lease and continues with the pub.

SlipSlider
22nd Feb 2016, 08:55
Sandown's website status today is "closed", and has been so for some time (since Christmas?). Goodwood has been unlicenced and indeed closed to fixed-wing more often than not in the same period, and that is the case today. Bembridge and Lee on Solent are the hard-runway alternatives in the area; although neither have any catering on airfield, both have several options not far off-site.

tmmorris
22nd Feb 2016, 09:14
If Goodwood is closed it must be really bad, as I went there when they said it was 'soft but mostly OK' and it was awful in places on the taxying surfaces. Runways were just about acceptable.

SlipSlider
3rd May 2016, 08:48
An update ... as of last Thursday the Sandown runway is open although there are some advisory limitations due to condition (PPR recommended). Unfortunately due to illness the cafe was not staffed; on offer was a hot-drinks machine, snack machine, and cold drinks cabinet with an honesty box. Nearest catering is in the garden centre cafe a few minutes walk up the road.

Goodwood is open as normal, but still with some areas that have been affected by the wet winter, that are being repaired - especially around the fuelling area.

tmmorris
3rd May 2016, 19:03
Thanks, that's timely as I am planning to pop down to Goodwood on Sunday.