PDA

View Full Version : From CPL(A) to LAPL(S)

aviamark
13th Feb 2016, 15:00
Hello!

This afternoon I tried to make some research about how i finally could get a glider pilot license - either a SPL or a LAPL(S), both EASA.

Finding the requirements for both licenses is quite easy, but does anyone have experience on what exactly I would get credited as I already hold an EASA CPL with ATPL theory credit, as well as a TMG rating on my license?

Thanks!

Prop swinger
13th Feb 2016, 15:50
For the exams you are credited for the common subjects but will have to do the sailplane specific exams in principles of flight, operational procedures, flight performance and planning, aircraft general knowledge & navigation.

You get up to 50% off the 15 hours minimum training for an LAPL(S) or up to 7 hours off for an SPL.

Not sure about the rest of EASA-land but in the UK the only route to an EASA sailplane licence is grandfathering through BGA qualifications. If your CPL is UK CAA issued you will have to get the BGA bronze badge + xc endorsement & then apply to the CAA for a sailplane licence.

BackPacker
15th Feb 2016, 10:58
Not sure about the rest of EASA-land but in the UK the only route to an EASA sailplane licence is grandfathering through BGA qualifications.

For the Netherlands, you need to hold the KNVvL-issued "Zweefvliegbrevet" plus evidence of meeting the EASA cross-country criteria to be grandfathered without further tests. Otherwise you need to do the written exams and the flight tests, but the holder of a PPL or higher is given some credit towards the written exams and the practical experience requirements. Full details are in the EASA documents, but note that most countries have filed derogations so the need for an EASA LAPL(S)/GPL may not be there for a year or so.

For those not familiar with the LAPL(S)/GPL: Note that instead of a class rating such as SEP/MEP and so forth, a glider license contains a "launch method" endorsement. The most common ones are winch and tow and these are separate items, each with their own individual initial and currency requirements. You can add a launch method later, but only if you fulfill the requirements and after a mini-exam. Plus you need to pay money to the *AA to get the method on your license.