PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Bars?

Pace
9th Feb 2016, 18:01
Ok a bit of a fun topic :E Flying corporate jets we wear bars and white shirts but especially after the flight back on the train or in a restaurant its off with the bars.
Some places you need them and the uniform bit like in parts of Africa even on ferry flights where a uniform unlocks doors.
I have seen in the past pilots of light aircraft wearing bars and some seem to love it.
I did a ferry from India to UK with an Arab FO out at night in his homeland I was dressed in a tee shirt and jeans and he asked whether I minded him dressed up.
That included an admirals cap jacket and 4 stripes :ok: His chest puffed out and he adored the attention.

Who here admits to wearing a white shirt and bars and in what sized aircraft (C150) ??? and why? Or did you see any PPLs flying SEP dressed like that in your flying club ?

Reminds me a bit of the joke of the pilot trying to impress a girl who seeing a C130 Hercules land told the girl that see that aircraft its a C130. chest puffed out he told her he flew a C150 :E

Pace

Genghis the Engineer
9th Feb 2016, 18:10
There's a set of gold bars in the bottom of my flight bag somewhere.

I think that I've worn them twice ever - both times just to stand out usefully when doing some ferrying through foreign airports.

Rest of the time - they belong in an environment where pax want their drivers and cabin crew to look smart and official, because that's just what's done in that environment. Which is to say, not on my shoulders.

Worst gold bar abuse I've ever seen was the BAe PA31 ferry pilot from Warton who used to go into the mess at Boscombe Down in a blue sweater with four gold bars on his shoulder. Yes, I too mistook him for a Captain RN pilot until somebody quietly whispered in my ear to treat him like the bottom-of-the-ladder contract pilot he actually was.

G

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Feb 2016, 18:18
Only twats wear bars etc in light aircraft. And they are usually crap pilots. I once went to Skeggy with such a pilot, he flying out, me back, and we were in a Beech Muskateer (a sort of Cherokee but by Beech). He wore a flying suit with all the trimmings. I wore a T shirt and jeans.

On arrival he lost sight of the runway on final and had to go around. Because of his 3-counties-size circuit he lost the runway again and went round again. We did this half a dozen times before he landed us, and by then quite a crowd had gathered to see what loon was attempting to land at their field. I and the back seat pax got out as he struggled to get out of his grow bag saying "I don't want them to know who was flying".

So as we walked towards the club house we positioned one each side of him, jabbing our pointing finger towards him.

Pilot DAR
9th Feb 2016, 18:35
I wore bars once, back in the early '80's, because I was the second pilot, and my Captain handed them to me, and said to wear them. He informed me that our passage through Africa would be easier that way, and it seemed to be. A few years back I dug them out of wherever they had been abandoned, and sewed them onto a Halloween costume for my daughter. 'Haven't seen them since.

TheOddOne
9th Feb 2016, 18:39
The first flying school I worked for had 2 pages of A4 plus illustrations on how to wear the uniform, including the name badge, bars, tie, jacket, NATO pullover (all company supplied). You had to provide white shirts (2 front pockets and epaulettes) black trousers (with crease down the front) and shiny black shoes. We had to get permission from Head Office to remove the tie in hot weather. There was a strict pecking order for the number of stripes on the bars and their thickness. But then, they were paying me a salary plus bonus if I flew more than a certain amount per month.Then they went bust. Haven't worn a tie or bars since.

My old club used to give out wings with the club emblem (a Lapwing) in the middle when people got their PPL. There was only one bloke who actually sewed his on to a jacket (sniggers behind his back).
TOO

sapperkenno
9th Feb 2016, 20:15
Gallery | Geoffrey Boot (http://www.geoffreyboot.org/gallery/)
There's this... He must be taking the piss though, surely?!

mikehallam
9th Feb 2016, 22:22
Jeans & wellies, remove hearing aids to wear the Icom hand-held's headset.
Summer often m/c gear sans helmet and thick gloves - if that's what I drove down in - or clapped out trainers and jeans again !

mike hallam.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Feb 2016, 22:23
Gallery | Geoffrey Boot (http://www.geoffreyboot.org/gallery/)
There's this... He must be taking the piss though, surely?!

Sadly no, he really does that.

G

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Feb 2016, 22:32
When I owned a flight school / charter I used to take my sheltie with me in the twin , his name was Wilbur Wrong and he wore the four gold bars on his front legs as well as my airport security tag hanging off his collar, I pasted his picture over mine and re-laminated it.

Never had a problem with that set up as everyone just laughed at it.

Old Wilbur really looked the part of a pilot walking across the ramp all dressed up like a real pilot.

Katamarino
9th Feb 2016, 23:23
I've only worn them on flights through Africa. Made a big difference in ease of transit of most airports!

Small Rodent Driver
10th Feb 2016, 03:08
Never had any pretensions which would cause me to wear bars.

Must confess to having propped a few up though.

abgd
10th Feb 2016, 03:29
I have to confess to having most of Geoffrey Boot's attire, other than the bars. I hope that under a good coat it's not too obvious and equally fireproof.

piperboy84
10th Feb 2016, 05:44
Many moons ago a friend of mine was a relatively new hire pilot at Virgin, he was traveling home on the train sporting the whole bars and uniform outfit, as the train pulled into a station prior to his stop, a family who appeared to have just returned from a Spanish holiday proceeded to unload the kids, luggage sombreros and all the other crap they were bringing back onto the platform. They realized they had left a suitcase on board, so the mum in a panic shouted to the passengers remaining on the train to throw it off as the train was about to leave. Step up Mr. Take Charge, Super Hero pilot with bars and full pilot regalia to handle this emergency as only a guy like him could. He grabbed the case from where the others had been stored and threw it out onto the platform with seconds to spare before the doors closed. As he turned around to receive the anticipated admiring glances from the women and nods of approval from the guys an old man a few rows back said “Why have you thrown my case off the train”?

tomtytom
10th Feb 2016, 07:12
I only wear mine when flying a girl on a first date in our C172 shareoplane............. chicks love that stuff

BEagle
10th Feb 2016, 07:44
When the CAA still had a regional office at Kidlington, a chum used to pop in to Brize now and again to do the odd instructor revalidation session on his way home.

The CAA's uniform was exactly the same as HMRC - and the flying club was right next to the Air Movements cargo hangar.....

One day my chum arrived in his CAA uniform with 4 gold bars - and the 'movers' went into a flat spin - scurrying around moving various boxes out into sheds etc. It was clear that they thought they were about to be rummaged by the Heathrow customs team.

He saw this and suggested that he'd better take his rank slides off next time. But we told him not to - the sight of him in his uniform would discourage any dubious activity amongst the movers.

Personally I think that people who have a problem about the wearing of insignia by others have more of a problem with themselves.

Sir Niall Dementia
10th Feb 2016, 07:44
I sometimes fly my aeroplane to work, then get into a company aeroplane and head off on the day job. I have never lived down coming back from a week long trip, throwing everything in my own aeroplane and flying back home. Dismounting from a Condor outside the flying club dressed like a Bolivian admiral, carrying a suitcase, flight case and airline issue flasher mac brought howls of abuse from the bar. Apparently there are still photographs to be found......B:mad:s

SND

fireflybob
10th Feb 2016, 08:10
I like the bars on this clip!

Bars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ)

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2016, 11:18
Personally I think that people who have a problem about the wearing of insignia by others have more of a problem with themselves.

There is that.

Two members of a syndicate I'm in both have "problems". One works as a flying instructor so is seen on the airfield in white shirt and bars. The other feels more comfortable in an ex-military nomex growbag.

I am a little tired of getting caught in the middle when they have stupid little spats about it.

That I don't wear bars, and sometimes but not always a Nomex suit is my personal choice: so are theirs. Why the heck these two can't calm down and just get on with the flying I have no idea.

G

rnzoli
10th Feb 2016, 12:14
Or did you see any PPLs flying SEP dressed like that in your flying club ?
Being an unmarked jeans and T-shirt pilot myself, I got my first surprise when I saw one of our very active PPLs taking his biennial checkride in a genuine-looking fighter pilot outfit - on a C-172. Unfortunately he crashed about a year later (1 serious + 3 minor injuries + 1 C-182 totalled), confirming that dressing and airmanship are unrelated things.

It's also hard to ignore the desire of a few friends of mine (low hour PPLs) to stand out from the crowd, so they wear club T-shirts and vests with personal name and "Pilot" stitched on well visible areas. Can't blame them: my wife is on the opinion that I am not a pilot (despite having a license stating that I am). For her, pilots are those guys, who wear the white shirt and the bars! :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Feb 2016, 12:21
I saw one of our very active PPLs taking his biennial checkride in a genuine-looking fighter pilot outfit - on a C-172. Unfortunately he crashed about a year later (1 serious + 3 minor injuries + 1 C-182 totalled), confirming that dressing and airmanship are unrelated things.

Or maybe it shows they are related?

Martin_123
10th Feb 2016, 15:33
as an office dweller last thing I want to do on my weekend is to wear shirts and ties.. however, I don't mind those who do. I have live and let live attitude about most things, except tracksuits and youth of today thinking it's a perfectly acceptable piece of clothing for every occasion... bwah :mad: :mad: schmucks

back to bars - I can see how those can be helpful psychologically when you're taking up your friends or family for the first time and they still are not sure whether to trust you or not. Perhaps it can also be beneficial for the pilot as well - when you look the part you must act the part so if one can perform a bit more professionally with bars on it's shoulders - I don't see anything wrong with that

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Feb 2016, 15:48
Problem is, 123, that the sort who wear bars at a GA field outside those required to wear a uniform, are, in my experience, never much cop as pilots. It's almost as though they wear this stuff in compensation for that.

Those who are confident in the aeroplane, the 'good' pilots, generally don't feel the need to dress up in pretend airline pilot garb.

Jan Olieslagers
10th Feb 2016, 16:05
On a related note: It seems obvious that dressing up as an airline captain for flying a recreational plane is ridiculous, to most round here. I must allow I have never come across the phenomenon in my (modest) flying career, would it be one more UK-specific peculiarity? But I don't think so.

What I do see, occasionally, finding it equally ridiculous, is people wearing coveralls trying to look military style. One can more or less tolerate this from a warbird pilot, especially if done in style, complete with the white silken neckkerchief and all that. But for flying anything else it is just another kind of decorum. Anyone saying there's plenty of pockets in them? Cargo trousers have no less, and they do come in handy. True, though, the real stuff is made from fire-resistant cloth (Nomex, they call it?) - that is the one reason I have kept my big trap shut, as yet.

Opinions? Experiences?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2016, 17:53
I'm a fairly regular "growbag" wearer - sometimes for professional reasons, sometimes because I just choose to. Either the full suit, or just a jacket.

Why? Looks reasonably smart in my own eyes, pockets in the right places, keeps my street clothes clean of grease and mud, and in extremis - yes Nomex is extremely flame resistant, worn correctly.

Can't say I have a problem with it, would never say that somebody *should*, save in particular environments. Test flying and particularly first flights I almost invariably do, and that's an appropriate environment as an aeroplane that's never flown before has an above average risk of stuff going wrong. Similarly in work research aircraft full of semi-certified equipment with lots of wiggly amps all over the place - I value the flame retardance and have on occasion insisted that other people wear one. Also in an open cockpit, tends to let less drafts in than other forms of clothing.

Not necessary on a couple of hours trip in a 4 seat spamcan, and looks a bit stupid in the flying club bar - but can't say it worries me to see people wearing one. Just make sure that any badges on it you earned the right to wear !

G

A and C
10th Feb 2016, 18:10
I was the flight engineer on flight cargo flight out of Detroit to Memphis one night and the following morning while waiting to check in at the hotel a lady guest the the hotel approaches the Captain and asks hin to carry her bags to her room.

Fast Eddie the captain and ever the gentleman politely picks up her bags and heads for the elevator ............ A few minutes later he returns and announces that the $ 15 tip will pay for his breakfast.

I guess being dressed up like a bellboy has its advantages !

n5296s
10th Feb 2016, 18:25
Wearing airline-pilot style clothes strikes me as just silly, except maybe the African reason.

But a flight-suit... I agree with all Genghis says. Lots of zippable pockets in handy places, very handy when flying aerobatics. Doesn't matter if it gets oil/grease/dirt on it, if you have to squirm around under a wing trying to find a fuel drain or whatever.

I wear mine always for aerobatics. All the acro instructors I know wear one. For flying the 182... not really necessary.

Though it did once lead to an interesting conversation. Long story, I ended up having to take public transport home (a nightmare here) after an AOG incident with my plane following a flight in the Pitts. After 4 hours I finally got to my home town, and stopped to buy an ice cream. The oldish guy who owns the place said "Oh, you're a pilot"... and proceeded to tell me all about his time as an Instructor Pilot in the Iranian Air Force. I asked, did you ever fly in combat? "Oh yes, I shoot down many Iraqi planes".

And now he runs an ice-cream shop in Mountain View. Funny thing, destiny.

abgd
10th Feb 2016, 18:36
An equivalent phenomenon: there is a elderly man in my hometown who is to be seen round the harbour (capable of taking boats up to about 30 feet long) in full captain's regalia and smoking a pipe.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Feb 2016, 19:02
Grow bags are not at all the same as pretend airline captain regalia. I wore one for years flying the likes of the oily and cold and draughty Chipmunk or the Yak52, but without any un-earned badges sewn on!

But never, ever, in a spamcan! That's like wearing racing overalls to drive your Fiesta to the shops!

abgd
10th Feb 2016, 19:19
Also, thanks to Ebay, I spent less on my Nomex than I did on my usual pair of jeans. And I buy my jeans from the factory reject shop.

flybymike
10th Feb 2016, 23:30
What sort of badges, apparently claiming great achievements, would be "unearned?"

n5296s
10th Feb 2016, 23:34
But never, ever, in a spamcan! That's like wearing racing overalls to drive your Fiesta to the shops!
So what's a man/woman/person/sentient-being to do if they need to drive their Fiesta to the race course, or in my case fly their 182 to the place where they fly the Pitts/whatever?

Katamarino
11th Feb 2016, 01:11
So what's a man/woman/person/sentient-being to do if they need to drive their Fiesta to the race course, or in my case fly their 182 to the place where they fly the Pitts/whatever?

In that case, I suggest not giving a toss what some faceless bloke on the internet calling himself "Shaggy Sheep Driver" thinks! :ok: As mentioned earlier, those who feel the need to look down at people for what could be perfectly sensible clothes for the situation probably have a bit of a problem themselves...

n5296s
11th Feb 2016, 02:09
Well, yes, to be honest I don't (give a toss).

Incidentally there's another side to wearing a flight suit... San Francisco's leading fetish wear shop, Mr S, sells them, the real thing from Gibson & Barnes, not some nasty Chinese substitute. So you never know what reaction you might get...

abgd
11th Feb 2016, 04:03
How did you find that out?

DeltaV
11th Feb 2016, 05:09
I'm glad I didn't look that up on the office computer!

Dr Jekyll
11th Feb 2016, 05:27
Worst gold bar abuse I've ever seen was the BAe PA31 ferry pilot from Warton who used to go into the mess at Boscombe Down in a blue sweater with four gold bars on his shoulder. Yes, I too mistook him for a Captain RN pilot until somebody quietly whispered in my ear to treat him like the bottom-of-the-ladder contract pilot he actually was.

I'm generally in the 'wearing bars unnecessarily is ludicrously pretentious' camp but your last sentence almost justifies it. Why treat him badly for being a contract pilot rather than a military officer?

Not even an air marshal or admiral outranks a civilian.

The Old Fat One
11th Feb 2016, 06:22

I got that beat Genghis. Back in my knocker days at Cornwall Finest Airbase, I spotted a knocker "mate" (Sergeant Aircrew for those that don't know the lingo) wandering up the main drag wearing bars and and scrambled egg hat - He had a PPL - and he actually took a salute from an airman wandering past.

Apart from being an utter tw@t thing to do, I'm pretty certain he could have been charged for impersonating an officer.

That was decades ago...a few years back his actual name appeared on here; somebody was checking him out for boasting about a fast jet background which they suspected he did not have (they were right).

Once a walt, always a walt, I guess.

Small Rodent Driver
11th Feb 2016, 07:14
Quote:

Erm, travel in normal clothing and put on your Marlborough race suit or your ace of the base fighter pilot suit at your destination before jumping into your McLaren race car or F-16? Simples.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2016, 07:34
Dr Jeckyl - this was on a military station. In that working environment a Captain RN gets called Sir and is warranted various other formal courtesies

A civilian pilot, is called by his name and treated in a friendly and helpful manner. But he aint a senior officer within the military workplace

G

piperboy84
11th Feb 2016, 08:26
Looks like I need to sew some stripes and wings on my John Deere boilersuit !

From Wikipedia

Rank/insignia Epaulettes Wings
pre-solo student no stripes no wings
post-solo student one stripe wings
private pilot license holder pursuing commercial license two stripes wings
commercial pilot license holder pursuing instructor's rating or ATPL three stripes wings
flight instructor three stripes wings
chief flight instructor or examiner four stripes wings

Evanelpus
11th Feb 2016, 08:36
There is nothing that says knob more than the pilot of a Cessna 150 climbing out of the aircraft wearing bars.

C'mon men, sort yourselves out.:rolleyes:

rnzoli
11th Feb 2016, 09:32
Looks like I need to sew some stripes and wings on my John Deere boilersuit !

From Wikipedia

Rank/insignia Epaulettes Wings
pre-solo student no stripes no wings
post-solo student one stripe wings
private pilot license holder pursuing commercial license two stripes wings
commercial pilot license holder pursuing instructor's rating or ATPL three stripes wings
flight instructor three stripes wings
chief flight instructor or examiner four stripes wings

I think this is relevant to professional flight schools that are training future ATPL holders. But not for recreational flying? :p

tmmorris
11th Feb 2016, 09:37
I think this is relevant to professional flight schools that are training future ATPL holders. But not for recreational flying? :p

Indeed. And what's with wings for solo flight anyway? In the military you don't even get them for EFT which is beyond PPL level.

I have to admit when I got my PPL I briefly flirted with wings badges but now I can't even bring myself to wear my AOPA silver wings badge even though I worked for it.

I do own a black nylon jacket with 'pilot' on it but my excuse is I got it cheap in a closing down sale at Halton...

rnzoli
11th Feb 2016, 09:56
This incident could have been avoided, if they all wear the right bars! :}
VQGFLxadGiM

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Feb 2016, 14:10
I've never worn race overalls but last time I donned a flying suit it took a few seconds to wriggle into over my normal clothes. So I agree with Small Rodent Driver - take your flying suit with you in the spammy and put it on before flying the proper aeroplane!

To wear it in the 182 would be, as I say, like wearing your race gear to the shops.

In saying this I am merely making an observation, not propounding some sort of religion. So it's not me who has the problem in making the observation (which is widely shared, BTW), it's the chap who feels the need to dress up as an airline captain to fly a 182 (excepting, as I say, those whose jobs mandate that). He's probably feeling the need to compensate for a lack somewhere.

S-Works
11th Feb 2016, 18:38
Blimey, all I get is a company logo fleece top, polo shirt and a **** hotel room.......

MaxR
11th Feb 2016, 18:54
There's a book for you guys:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Not-Giving/dp/0316270725

DeltaV
11th Feb 2016, 19:03
[thread drift] Not bars but there is a middling pilot near here who has been seen in the local Tesco togged out in his flying club Hi-vis jacket, replete with club name and regalia.
Needy or what? [/thread drift]

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2016, 22:07
Now there's a question - where's the worst place to wear a hi-viz? The supermarket, the cockpit, anywhere indoors???

G

TRPGpilot
11th Feb 2016, 22:14
I wear them. When I feel like it. in an old c172 doing flying with my mates from work. Guess that makes me a **** then? Luckily I am not one to be unduly concerned about others opinion on such matters. Aviation is filled with stuffy old geriatrics and is slowly dying out. If someone spends £10k to learn to fly as a PPL and wants to wear 4 gold bars and a white shirt who is ANYONE to say that they should not?

Chesty Morgan
11th Feb 2016, 22:14
In that case, I suggest not giving a toss what some faceless bloke on the internet calling himself "Shaggy Sheep Driver" thinks! :ok: As mentioned earlier, those who feel the need to look down at people for what could be perfectly sensible clothes for the situation probably have a bit of a problem themselves...

Especially as they consider themselves to be a superior pilot just because they wear different clothes.

cavortingcheetah
11th Feb 2016, 22:24
These days, if you wear bars outside of a rank designated flight operation, you might be thought of as a cross dresser?

onetrack
12th Feb 2016, 02:32
It always pays to remember - when they are cutting you out of your crashed aircraft - the medics will also cut off all the clothing that is covering your injuries - and that could mean your glorious bars ending up in the dirt, and being trampled on, by all and sundry - and with you being transported into ER, as just another barely-dressed, hapless, injury patient!! :{ :ooh:

Small Rodent Driver
12th Feb 2016, 05:06
If someone spends £10k to learn to fly as a PPL and wants to wear 4 gold bars and a white shirt who is ANYONE to say that they should not?

The fashion police perhaps? :)

Hawker 800
12th Feb 2016, 05:35
Wearing epaullettes is a no no for a PPL in my opinion. The rule I abide by is if they form part of a uniform, you wear them. PPL's don't have uniforms. End of.

In as far as walking around town wearing them, well that's another story. That says more about the person wearing them than anything. The first thing I do when I finish a duty and my pax are away is put them in my top pocket.

Hawker 800
12th Feb 2016, 05:44
Genghis

I can't stand seeing crews wear hi-vis in the cockpit. Maybe they should burn one as a demo and see what happens.

Small Rodent Driver
12th Feb 2016, 05:47
Apologies if I have offended anybody by taking the p*ss out of those who like to wear epaullettes, gold bars or military garb for flying.

I guess it stems from my rather unhappy childhood where money was scarce and my mother would shop for my school clothing in the local Army and Navy store.

You have no idea what it was like going to school dressed as a Japanese Admiral!

wsmempson
12th Feb 2016, 07:09
The worst place to be seen in a high viz tabbard is by the fuel pumps; all that nylon and polyester is a serious generator of static electricity and is a real fire hazard.

On the subject of bars and gold braid, there is a rule at White Waltham that anyone who rocks up at the bar wearing the aforementioned, has to buy a round of drinks for everyone there. I think that there is an exemption for the BBMF pilots when they drop in for fuel....

flydive1
12th Feb 2016, 07:26
It always pays to remember - when they are cutting you out of your crashed aircraft - the medics will also cut off all the clothing that is covering your injuries - and that could mean your glorious bars ending up in the dirt, and being trampled on, by all and sundry - and with you being transported into ER, as just another barely-dressed, hapless, injury patient!! :{ :ooh:

Yes, that would be my first concern if I was badly injured in a crash:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess you always travel(pax or crew) in old dirty clothes just in case;)

Pace
12th Feb 2016, 07:27
Hi viz jackets I hate and have often thrown one over my one shoulder just to comply then dump it as soon as possible :E

In the fashion industry Yellow is a very difficult colour to wear and look good in unless you are sporting a deep summer tan.

Yellow is known to draw colour from the face making you look paler than you already are.

So not at all a good colour for the He man pilot to wear.

If you want to look like a fried egg gone wrong wear a Hi Viz :ok:

Of course for the complete image with the white shirt and bars don't forget the Ray Bans ? but remember if they are coloured ray bans you will instantly be a colour blind pilot
Beware wearing the dark variety as many pilots wearing them on dark overcast days have been known to walk into propellers as they cannot see where they are going! but again a very important fashion assesory

Pilot uniforms walking through Gatwick as an airline pilot will get admiring glances from passengers who put their lives in the hands of these sky gods!

They also look good worn by the biz jet jockeys seen by many as the hot ship airliners of the sky but in a Cessna 150 ? Or SEP ? Somehow it has a negative "look at that dick head "impression

On the few biz jet ferry flights I have done especially in the USA with no PAX it actually feels quite cool and relaxed to jump in wearing jeans and a TShirt

Pace

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2016, 07:57
Yes, that would be my first concern if I was badly injured in a crash:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess you always travel(pax or crew) in old dirty clothes just in case;)

True story, but thankfully not to me - but I was professionally in the vicinity.

Two people in a flexwing, fluffed a landing at a farmstrip, rolled over, fuel tank burst, covered them with fuel. They crawled out - minor injuries, very shaken indeed. Thankfully, there was no spark, so they didn't turn into human fireballs. No idea what they were wearing, but I'd guess probably nice warm padded Ozee suits or similar.

Somebody at the farm, very generously, said "go and shower the petrol off, we'll lend you a couple of sets of clothes, then run you to A&E to get checked over".

So wearing borrowed clothes, dropped at A&E, said they'd get a taxi back later.

A&E, quick diagnosis, decided they needed to be quickly checked over sans clothes, knew they'd been in an air crash, so elected to cut the clothes off - not taking any arguments on the topic.

A few hours later, pilot and pax, rather sheepish, return to the strip in hospital gowns and a taxi, and present their kind rescuers with their clothes back - chopped up in carrier bags.

G

flydive1
12th Feb 2016, 08:03
Bit OT, but related.

If you stop at a car crash to help, never let a victim from it to sit in your car, if you value your roof(at least in the UK);)

Langball
12th Feb 2016, 08:28
One the subject of Gold Bars. My brother was telling me that years ago as a new hire ATR42 pilot he was standing in full uniform in the foyer of a small country hotel, with his captain, waiting for a taxi to the airport for a very early flight. A Guinness lorry pulls up outside, and the driver comes in, and the only two people he can see are the two lads in uniform. He shouts "Hey, would you run out the back and open the gate, I have a delivery to make".

DC10RealMan
12th Feb 2016, 08:32
In terminal Two at LHR I once saw a Soviet Admiral of the Fleet who was the size of a house with a chest full of medals complete with big hat fresh off the Aeroflot IL62 from Moscow being accosted by a Japanese tourist who thought he was a porter and wanted him to carry his bags.

How we laughed!

compressor stall
12th Feb 2016, 09:17
Quote:
It always pays to remember - when they are cutting you out of your crashed aircraft - the medics will also cut off all the clothing that is covering your injuries - and that could mean your glorious bars ending up in the dirt, and being trampled on, by all and sundry - and with you being transported into ER, as just another barely-dressed, hapless, injury patient!!

Flydive1...
Yes, that would be my first concern if I was badly injured in a crash

I wouldn't roll your eyes at this one too much Flydive1. On a medevac I was cutting the boot off a motorbike rider (with foot still attached, but 180 degrees to normal) and he wasn't worried about the pain, rather the damage I was doing to his riding boot and wanted to know if I could pull it off instead....

Fionn101
12th Feb 2016, 10:30
My humble opinion, I am a very low hours pilot with too much to live for to take chances...

I do know of one person who perished in fire (R.I.P.) crashing after turning low and slow for finals.

And in my groundschool a pilot owner twice had the smell of smoke in their cockpit (once from an electronic device install and secondly from bodged repair of said install)

That's 3 fire incidents in spam cans that I can recall in the last 18 months.

If a Nomex suit is available , ALWAYS wear it , even if someone has put a few badges on it , no one really cares. and if it gives you some protection from flames until you land then good for you.

As for wearing stripes and bars,I can also understand this for when we have friends / family aboard and we wish to convey as sense of professional environment.

Yes I will admit to having worn stripes before and it did stop my best mates from having any sort of messing in the aircraft , so if it works ...

I do realise I may have to buy a few of our respected forum members the occasional pint when I roll up to the bar wearing stripes, which is not such a bad rule now that I think about it.

Be safe,
Fionn

tmmorris
12th Feb 2016, 11:19
I have to admit I'm ambivalent about flying suits. I do own one, and I know it makes sense to wear it even in a 152; and many of the members of my club are ex military and wear one all the time. But that in itself makes me feel a bit waltish if I wear mine...

clareprop
12th Feb 2016, 12:52
I think it's very important to wear one's achievements with pride and more importantly, for safety. On the drive to the airfield in my 911 RS 2.7, I would feel under-dressed if I didn't slip into my Sparco racewear for the journey. Once there, it wasn't that difficult to change quickly into a flying suit. I found the name-patch helped new students introduce themselves and my bars and wings let them know immediately that I was someone who could be trusted to give advice and guidance. Once aboard my PA28-180, pens, pencils and papers were organised and in their correct place and my passengers gained comfort from the professional image projected. At the end of the day, it's common sense!

FREDAcheck
12th Feb 2016, 13:16
I only wear mine when flying a girl on a first date in our C172 shareoplane............. chicks love that stuff

More accurately, I think: pilots like to think that chicks love that stuff.

Typical jokes told by women about pilots:

How do you know when you're half way through your first date with a pilot? He says: "Enough about me, let's talk about flying."

Never ask a man if he's a pilot. If he is, he'll already have told you.

What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine? When the plane stops, the engine stops whining.

On a recent stop at a northern airfield they told me the landing fee was double if I wore a hi-viz, and double again if I wore bars.

Pace
12th Feb 2016, 14:18

I bet you belong to one of these Uniform dating sites ?:ok:

But yes have to admit being a Pilot does have a pull with SOME of the fairer or darker sex!

But still think a uniform would work up to the point you got to the door of a Cessna 150 in your full regalia and then the pull of the uniform would drop as fast as another part of your anatomy :E

Better off the rugged look of jeans and T-shirt plus maybe Raybans for the C150/172/PA28

Pull = impressive uniform = impressive aircraft = a good night

Pull = impressive uniform = Cessna 150 PA28 = ahhh what a **** :E = no pull retreat with floppy bars :E and drooping RAF handlebar moustaches ( they are back in fashion with long beards if you didn't know :ugh:

Question ? Do bars mean your a commercial professional pilot or any pilot acting as Captain of an aircraft? and how low down the aircraft chain do you go before looking a clot wearing them? Single engine PC12 OK? Twin Piston ok ? single piston Cirrus Malibu ok ? where is the dividing line between looking good with bars or a clot?

Pace

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2016, 15:31
I'm pretty certain that the line is crossed whenever the bar wearer is paying for the flying themselves !

G

airwave45
12th Feb 2016, 15:55
Bloggs Flying ability is inversely proportional to the number of badges He/She has on display.

Advice given to new instructors, seems to have been accurate so far.

Martin_123
12th Feb 2016, 16:04

How do you know when you're half way through your first date with a pilot? He says: "Enough about me, let's talk about flying."

What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine? When the plane stops, the engine stops whining.

haha :D
one of my closest friends presented me with this one when I got my PPL:

What's the difference between a cockpit and a condom?
condom can only accommodate one dick

flydive1
12th Feb 2016, 16:19
Bloggs Flying ability is inversely proportional to the number of badges He/She has on display.

Advice given to new instructors, seems to have been accurate so far.

Indeed;)

http://www.klpstudio.com/chuckyeager_org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/5908070745_0c287a9136_z.jpg

charliegolf
12th Feb 2016, 16:32
If someone spends £10k to learn to fly as a PPL

Then they're crap!

CG

I take it back!

charliegolf
12th Feb 2016, 16:33

On a recent stop at a northern airfield they told me the landing fee was double if I wore a hi-viz, and double again if I wore bars.

Difference between God and a pilot? God doesn't think he's a pilot!

CG

JimCrawford
12th Feb 2016, 16:56
Many moons ago when my workplace was on the north side at Farnborough it was pretty well under the display line for the airshow. So I had the joy of popping up onto the roof to watch the displays overhead during the practice week. After a typically spectacular display by a Russian fighter - the one that did the cobra maneouvre if I remember correctly - I wandered over to the pan where the aircraft were parked.
The said aircraft taxied to it's place, shut down and the canopy opened. The pilot climbed down the steps and he was wearing bone dome, T shirt, jeans and trainers! Clearly he didn't need any bars to prove anything to anybody!

Jim

Pace
12th Feb 2016, 18:36
That is the key! Do you have to wear a uniform or do you choose too ?
When I fly my business jet clients they would be horrified if I turned up in jeans!
I would without doubt get a severe telling off and would be required to be properly attired on the next trip!
On a flight into Africa I know I would cause myself problems if I wandered around the airport in jeans
As a PPL turning up to fly a Cessna 150 dressed in a white shirt with Bars I don't have to do that so it would be a decision for some egotistical reason!
The guy flying the fighter jet was not himself on display to the public so it was his choice what to wear!
Ferrying a jet from the USA empty it's my choice what to wear and jeans tshirt is fine and comfortable ))

Pace

Piper.Classique
12th Feb 2016, 18:44
Clareprop

:D:D:D

B2N2
12th Feb 2016, 20:00
If my company sends me anywhere commercial I wear the bars and stars..simply to cut the line at TSA and to skip ahead of the self loading freight when boarding....:O
Hey it works...and I was going to hell already anyways..for other stuff....:E

https://catsconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/bgy-d7uceae86t71.jpg

YEAH rrrright...SKIP..;)

Helicopterdriverguy
12th Feb 2016, 21:04
On a recent stop at a northern airfield they told me the landing fee was double if I wore a hi-viz, and double again if I wore bars. I think I know where that is, does the name start with Br? :D

Maoraigh1
12th Feb 2016, 21:12
There's a difference between yellow jackets and bars/stripes. I don't wear one in the cockpit -and have got out forgetting to put one on. I once even tried to go out to get another can of EN228 from the car without one. I almost said "Sorry Mummy" to the rather attractive brunette who gave me a row like I hadn't had since pre- teenage. For those of us using commercial airfields they are essential. And outside they don't distinguish us from Court Ordered Community Service Litter Pickers. Except my one is oil stained, and there's are pristine clean.

FREDAcheck
12th Feb 2016, 21:51
I think I know where that is, does the name start with Br?

Yes!

(and another line of rubbish to make the message more than 10 characters, or PPRUNE won't post it)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Feb 2016, 09:33
It's not just Br. Lots of sensible airfields, those not 'up themselves', are like this.

Pace
13th Feb 2016, 09:54
I think I know where that is, does the name start with Br?

HDG

You referred the above quoted area to me :ok: It was not my post

Think its simple really you should wear a uniform only where you are required to do so. So if you are flying an aircraft where the people paying you to fly require you to be uniformed then do so.

They maybe some trendy company and tell you to fly with jeans and a company logo T-shirt. If thats what they want thats what you do.

In certain areas of the world you maybe required to wear a uniform to facilitate your movements around the airport environment then do so.
The key words are "required to do so"

If your not required to do so its your choice to wear bars and a uniform but don't think you will get admiring glances if it happens to be a Cessna 150 or most especially SE pistons

Here is a pilot wearing a uniform and I am sure the pilot would not get admiring glances :E

http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/63555/63555,1288937792,1/stock-photo-sexy-pilot-steward-girl-64412926.jpg

Pace

Jonzarno
13th Feb 2016, 10:44
Yes she would: she's wearing bras..... :O

Pace
13th Feb 2016, 11:01
Jonzarno

I have no problem with her uniform but if she was flying for me I would insist she took the Bras off :E sorry meant bars off ;)

As for Hi viz jackets? scoured google and cannot see anything cool about wearing them! Awful invention

Pace

Romeo Tango
13th Feb 2016, 11:13
When flying my spamcan outside Europe/SA/Aussie/USA I dress up like a real pilot with blue trousers, white shirt, bars etc.

I do remember on one trip in the mid 1980s I issued the girl traveling with me with uniform and bars (some number less than 4). This caused much consternation in the middle east as they did not know how to treat her, in one desert kingdom they solved the problem by locking her up while I refueled.

Jonzarno
13th Feb 2016, 11:41
Pace

I agree: your crew example has absolutely no need for a hi-vis jacket :O

Pace
13th Feb 2016, 11:49
I agree: your crew example has absolutely no need for a hi-vis jacket

Agree in this case she would want as least attention from pilots motoring around the airport transfixed as possible ! A yellow hi viz would only make matters worse and increase collision risk

Pace

mike172
13th Feb 2016, 14:11
Can't say I've ever seen a private pilot wearing bars or any sort of uniform. Jeans and t shirt for me every time and that seems to hold true for every other pilot I've seen climbing into a Cessna or the like.

If I took a mate flying and rocked up with gold bars on my shoulders the abuse I'd receive would be endless. And deserved.

mike172
13th Feb 2016, 14:15
On the subject of hi-vis jackets I make a point of not wearing one wherever I go. If I walk across to the clubhouse and someone kicks off then what are they going to do? Make me do the perilous walk back across the airfield without a hi-vis to grab one? I'd be killed instantly, surely!

Katamarino
13th Feb 2016, 14:28
On the subject of hi-vis jackets I make a point of not wearing one wherever I go. If I walk across to the clubhouse and someone kicks off then what are they going to do? Make me do the perilous walk back across the airfield without a hi-vis to grab one? I'd be killed instantly, surely!

I came across a jobsworth at Oxford who would not allow people back onto the apron to reach their aircraft unless they bought a hi-vis from him there and then.

wsmempson
13th Feb 2016, 15:24
I keep a dayglo green Borat Mankini in my flight bag for just such a jobsworth; I plan to use it the next time I go to Exeter, where similar lunacy is insisted.

Jonzarno
13th Feb 2016, 15:36
Quote:
I agree: your crew example has absolutely no need for a hi-vis jacket
Agree in this case she would want as least attention from pilots motoring around the airport transfixed as possible ! A yellow hi viz would only make matters worse and increase collision risk

Pace

I can't think why, but this reminds me that I've been meaning to ask if the Cirrus you flew recently had the built in air bags? :)

FREDAcheck
13th Feb 2016, 17:27
Half expecting a discussion on pilot footwear next

Footwear? No way. But watches, now there's the thing. Real pilots wear Proper (i.e. expensive) Pilot Watches.

Me, I have a cheapo watch and a digital stopwatch (£5 from Argos - yes, I admit it, I've been into Argos) that I keep in case I ever need it for IMC timed legs, but then I'm obviously not a Real Pilot.

Pace
13th Feb 2016, 17:57
Had a Breitling but hated it as could never read it properly then it flooded scuba diving after I had it opened in an unauthorised repair shop
Now got a TAG with a blue face and waterproof strap ( blue ) which is actually an Omega strap on my TAG watch :ok:
Would love an Omega Seamaster but at £5K no way

For your information phone is an apple I phone 6 and would be lost without it )

Pace

FLCH
13th Feb 2016, 18:50
I had a sort of inverse situation with flying suits and badges.
Picture a group of men in their 20-40's freshly hired at a US carrier going through DC-10 groundschool about 30 years ago.
It's Saturday we're hungover a few puke splashes remain on our shirts from last nights drinking.
We fell behind the schedule for INS training, due to the sim being broken, our former Navy instructor insisted we come out to class on the weekend, so we could make up the schedule.
During the past weeks we had no doubt our instructor was ex-military and a Navy pilot he said all the right things and had some good stories but never made clear he was on an actual aircraft.
He turns up replete with flight suit and jacket badges all over the place. We tried to pay attention but were distracted by the costume as he tried to teach us the basics of inertial navigation systems.
Come to find out eventually once we were flying and on the line, he was a member of a crash crew fire rescue squad on a Navy ship.
Nice enough guy in his later years, but boy did he take himself too seriously !

clareprop
13th Feb 2016, 19:31
Half expecting a discussion on pilot footwear next.

Sensible shoes are important but for me, a nice pair of calf-skin flying gloves are a must.

FullWings
13th Feb 2016, 20:03
It’s a personal decision, unless mandated, so basically like anything else to do with fashion. Some have style, some...

Probably the most extreme example I’ve seen was in an airport restaurant where the staff wore stripes, the number depending on whether they were the junior waiter, front-of-house or chef! It certainly led to a bit of confusion as there were pilots dressed in a similar manner eating at the establishment!

fireflybob
13th Feb 2016, 20:51
I'd rather be dressed in Tshirt and a smart pair of jeans so when they're looking for someone else to blame it on I can merge with the onlookers.

onetrack
14th Feb 2016, 02:00
I'd rather be dressed in Tshirt and a smart pair of jeans so when they're looking for someone else to blame it on I can merge with the onlookers.Fireflybob - You'd never merge with onlookers and rubber-neckers wearing gear like that.
You'd really need a T-shirt full of expletives and obscenities, a hoodie, a pair of shorts that reached past your knees - with the crotch just above the knees - and a pair of outsize fluoro sneakers that haven't been cleaned in 2 years. :)

Pace
14th Feb 2016, 09:12
There are also benefits to wearing a uniform I knew of one now retired corporate jet captain who on having positioned a jet and then getting a scheduled flight back would milk the uniform for all it was worth jumping security line checks by walking to the front where other PAX were happy to let him pass!
On a long distance flight some years back he would sit in cattle class and often talk himself into an upgrade to save the airline the shear embarrassment of having him attired like that!
Short haul he still sat in uniform and claimed that on one occasion getting admiring attention from the surrounding PAX was told on descent " don't you think you should go up front now " ?

Pace

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2016, 09:34
On the subject of bars and gold braid, there is a rule at White Waltham that anyone who rocks up at the bar wearing the aforementioned, has to buy a round of drinks for everyone there. I think that there is an exemption for the BBMF pilots when they drop in for fuel....

Probably because it's mainly the domain of "rank amateurs".

Pace
14th Feb 2016, 10:16
Some of us have to wear them as its expected but I know once out of the airport environment its an embarrassment. As soon as the bars are removed you are probably mistaken for a bus driver anyway)

Personally I prefer the Silver bars to Gold as they are not so much in your face and colour blend better with the black and white everything.

What I don't fully understand is the mentality of the PPL wearing a uniform whether flying a single or piston twin? Is it an ego ride or to give the appearance of professionalism.

I can understand instructors in flight schools doing so or even students on career chosen paths wearing two bars as it will be part of an attitude path towards their chosen career but the PPL ?? NO

Private jets yes as its part of attention to detail and I know one outfit where the pilots wore designer suits which were specially made including the bars as part of the design but that was because of the image the company wanted to display

maybe certain PPLs want to display an image :E

Pace

Chesty Morgan
14th Feb 2016, 10:21
Some of us have to wear them as its expected but I know once out of the airport environment its an embarrassment. As soon as the bars are removed you are probably mistaken for a bus driver anyway)

Why is it an embarrassment?

wsmempson
14th Feb 2016, 10:23
Quote:
Probably because it's mainly the domain of "rank amateurs".

I can only assume that you have never been to White Waltham, because if you had you would know that it has an extremely high proportion of commercial pilots who fly for fun from there, and who turn up direct from work for a relaxing drink in the bar.

That is the main reason for the discouragement of gold braid and scrambled egg - you're not at work now; not even the flying instructors wear bars at EGLM.

Pace
14th Feb 2016, 10:52
Why is it an embarrassment?

Just imagine the attention you get sitting on the train back sporting a pilot uniform and 4 bars.

I wear a uniform because its expected but once out of the airport environment standing at a bar or on the train its no longer required and then becomes a statement :E
if your the sort that likes that attention fine ;)

Pace

Chesty Morgan
14th Feb 2016, 10:59
Do you think you'll get anymore attention than the nurse in her scrubs, the squaddie in his camo kit, the cop in his uniform or the bin man in his overalls sitting on a train?

It's just a working uniform like any other. You're not anything special just because you wear one.

Pace
14th Feb 2016, 11:09
It's just a working uniform like any other. You're not anything special just because you wear one.

Chesty Morgan I agree with your comments as not being special but from past experience from "some" quarters you can be seen as special over other uniformed professions and will encourage unwanted discussion from " what do you fly"to someone moaning about their last flight on Ryanair, or telling you they get really scared when the aircraft bucks in turbulence. If you want peace and quite take off the bars and look like a bus driver :ok: Or tell them you work for a stripogram company and out on a job ))

Pace

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2016, 13:00
Chesty, your assumption is incorrect. I see no reason why a pilot landing at any airfield on a commercial job should be ostracised by a PPL just because he wears uniform as required by his employer.

However, I always choose to remove the bars from my woolly pully and my company tie as soon as the aircraft is tucked away back in the company hangar.

I have also seen some ridiculous examples of wearing inappropriate regalia. In particular, one chap obtained his PPL on Cessna 152s at one airfield then almost immediately joined a group owning a JP3A at a different one. He then took to turning up back at his old club, sporting an RAF Nomex flying suit with RAF style wings badge, the name "Jet Pilot" embroidered beneath AND still wearing a pair of leg restraints! He used to swagger about in the bar with the buckles click-clacking together. One day he butted into a conversation I was having and began telling us all about his brave exploits in the JP. My friend mentioned to him that I used to fly them for a living; he avoided me after that. ;)

Pace
14th Feb 2016, 13:32
I had the pleasure of meeting Neil Armstrong years ago and found him to be a very quiet man who talked to you as an equal aviator even though his achievements and abilities were galactic in comparison.

Really good pilots don't need trumpet blowing us lesser mortals sometimes do ;)

Pace

onetrack
14th Feb 2016, 13:50
Do you think you'll get anymore attention than the nurse in her scrubs, the squaddie in his camo kit, the cop in his uniform or the bin man in his overalls sitting on a train?BIL, now recently retired, was a senior police officer who often used to travel by train to work. He would always cover his uniform jacket, badges and rank insignia with a large plain jacket.
He reckoned he didn't need to advertise who he was, when he was just an ordinary member of the travelling public.
Mind you, when someone made a nuisance of themselves on the train, he didn't take long to advertise who and what he actually was, via removal of the all-encompassing plain jacket. :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Feb 2016, 14:40
My mate was a BA captain (latterly on long haul) and hated wearing uniform. First to go were the bars, then the tie. He once strolled back from his 747 LH seat into the cabin tie-less and bar-less and someone asked him for a refill of their G&T, which he happily arranged with the hostie!

strake
14th Feb 2016, 15:25
Seems to me the people who have to wear them don't constantly bang on about it.

Jan Olieslagers
14th Feb 2016, 15:41
someone asked him for a refill of their G&T

What's G&T? Not Go and Touch, I presume, that would be hard to refill.. ;)

DeltaV
14th Feb 2016, 15:55
Gin & Tonic, Jan. Very British Empire, don't y'know.

Jan Olieslagers
14th Feb 2016, 16:19
;) no I didn't. There's no end to learning, apparently. And to say there are those who claim English is easy to learn, for a foreigner ... :( Perhaps this consistently inconsistent use of abbreviations and acronyms is a kind of instinctive self-defense on the British side. Actually, I've heard of schemes that made less sense.

Chesty Morgan
14th Feb 2016, 17:03
Chesty, your assumption is incorrect. I see no reason why a pilot landing at any airfield on a commercial job should be ostracised by a PPL just because he wears uniform as required by his employer.

Neither do I. Wrong chap perhaps?

Wirbelsturm
14th Feb 2016, 18:57
When I am being paid to fly I'll wear whatever my employer tells me to wear.

When I am paying to fly I'll wear whatever I wish. (jeans, shirt and some, frankly dodgy, old deck shoes normally.)

Same goes for everyone else. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

DirtyProp
14th Feb 2016, 19:52
I say wear'em!
Bars, ribbons, medals, the whole 9 yards.
Yeager, eat your heart out....

http://cdn.topwar.ru/uploads/images/2015/511/uqcf569.jpg

Wirbelsturm
14th Feb 2016, 20:02
Do all those stars mean they've all worked at McDonalds for more than a month?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Feb 2016, 20:49
As my old mum always used to say, "if you can't fight, wear a big hat".

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2016, 20:58
Chesty, yes, my mistake and an apology..... :O.

Twas that other chap, wsmempson.
(http://www.pprune.org/members/130932-wsmempson)

Rwy in Sight
14th Feb 2016, 21:05
Am I the only one who read wearing bras?

Capn Bug Smasher
14th Feb 2016, 21:44
Pink gin if feeling particularly colonial, yah.

Ravishing.

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2016, 23:07
Am I the only one who read wearing bras?

What you wear whilst reading in the privacy of your own home is up to you, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Small Rodent Driver
15th Feb 2016, 02:37
Do all those stars mean they've all worked at McDonalds for more than a month?

No, it means they went to my school. :)

onetrack
15th Feb 2016, 04:13
Those NK blokes must surely be qualified to fly virtually anything fitted with wings or rotors?? :E

Pace
15th Feb 2016, 06:40
Carrying all that metal I hope they check the weight and balance before takeoff ?

Pace

Stanwell
15th Feb 2016, 07:21
Does the one third from the right have a medal hanging off his fly?

Pace
15th Feb 2016, 07:42
Stanwell

It's hanging off something ? I hope it's his fly )))

Just imagine the attention you would get on the train back from the airfield in all that clobber ))

Pace

patowalker
15th Feb 2016, 08:12
The more medals you are awarded in North Korea, the less likely you are to retire.

North Korea Defence Chief Hyon Yong-chol 'executed' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32716749)

What we know about 'executed' N Korean military chief Ri Yong-gil - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35543464)

Stanwell
15th Feb 2016, 08:23
I'm going to trade-in my Bolivian Admiral's outfit (gnarled CPU-31 with no patches) - I want one of those.
That'll impress the girls, won't it?

Pace
15th Feb 2016, 08:27
That'll impress the girls, won't it?

Not if that bottom medal hangs the way it is it won't :E

Pace

Saab Dastard
15th Feb 2016, 18:08
Indeed Pace, not many women are interested in an antique pendant - unless of course it's jewellery we are talking about. ;)

SD

BEagle
15th Feb 2016, 18:59
Stanwell, that is Comrade General Gong-on-Dong of the PRNK's glorious Peoples' Army.....

DirtyProp
15th Feb 2016, 18:59
I think some guys deserve a nice medal on their "Percy".

"For courage and bravery, in the face of danger and against overwhelming odds...."
:E
http://cdnph.upi.com/pv/upi/41aef2d8f522641b0b631c6190655f65/Easter-Egg-Roll-at-the-White-House-with-the-Clintons.jpg

Pace
15th Feb 2016, 20:01
Dirty Prop

With all the rumours running around back then that medal looks about right :E

TheOddOne
16th Feb 2016, 06:55
Who's that crazy woman in green standing next to Rory Bremner?

TOO

BEagle
16th Feb 2016, 13:33
On the subject of bars and gold braid, there is a rule at White Waltham that anyone who rocks up at the bar wearing the aforementioned, has to buy a round of drinks for everyone there.

It's almost worth buying a dark blue pullover and rank slides with gold bars, then arriving at the WLAC and answering any questions with "Actually, I'm from HMRC. You might be able to help me with my inquiries....?" "No? Well in that case, perhaps you should go away and perform an anatomically impossible act upon yourself!"

Reverserbucket
16th Feb 2016, 15:11
"Do you think you'll get anymore attention than the nurse in her scrubs, the squaddie in his camo kit, the cop in his uniform or the bin man in his overalls sitting on a train?"

I believe NHS rules prevent nursing staff wearing their scrubs outside of the workplace (which is quite a sensible hygiene precaution) although that's not the case in other parts of the world - I've frequently seen clinical staff from a local hospital standing in line at McDonalds and Taco Bell in the U.S. with their grubby looking Crocs and stethoscopes hanging round their necks.
The airlines I've worked for have always required that if in public, regardless of capacity, you either wear all of the uniform if any of it identifies you as a company employee or none of it - hence would always remove and/or cover as much as possible when popping into the supermarket on the way home etc. But this is PPL's we're talking about..
I remember a PPL at my local club some years ago hiring a C152 to fly to his wedding (well, a strip near his wedding apparently, necessitating a drive from the field to the church), which required him to arrive at the service in his Growbag, patches and white leather flying gloves from which he would disrobe before his bride and guests to reveal his wedding attire beneath. I bet her family must have thought he was a complete tw#t - I wonder if he's still married?

FLCH
16th Feb 2016, 16:19
Who's that crazy woman in green standing next to Rory Bremner?

That's no woman, thats the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz singing "If only I had a brain"

Rory's trying to drown out the sound by wetting his whistle.

Capn Bug Smasher
16th Feb 2016, 16:42
Wear whatever you fancy so long as you're not doing it to big yourself up.

Etiquette chez Smasher is leave the flight suit in the cockpit so you can wear the loudest possible Hawaiian shirts in the bar!

Pace
16th Feb 2016, 16:48
One thing I have to say is I started this thread as a bit of fun on a half crazy subject and amazed it's heading for 10,000 hits
What does that say )) bars or bras are so important in PPLs minds ? ))
Maybe Bras or how to get rid of them quick ))

Pace

youngskywalker
16th Feb 2016, 19:30
PACE

I'm reliably informed by chaps who fly with you, that you're rather fond of informing people, that you are in actual fact a 'jet pilot', and usually within seconds of meeting them! ;) :D

Chesty Morgan
16th Feb 2016, 19:32
<snigger>.....

Small Rodent Driver
17th Feb 2016, 03:23
I believe NHS rules prevent nursing staff wearing their scrubs outside of the workplace (which is quite a sensible hygiene precaution) although that's not the case in other parts of the world - I've frequently seen clinical staff from a local hospital standing in line at McDonalds and Taco Bell in the U.S. with their grubby looking Crocs and stethoscopes hanging round their necks.

Squaddies are also prevented from travelling in combat rig / camo kit.

I remember a PPL at my local club some years ago hiring a C152 to fly to his wedding (well, a strip near his wedding apparently, necessitating a drive from the field to the church), which required him to arrive at the service in his Growbag, patches and white leather flying gloves from which he would disrobe before his bride and guests to reveal his wedding attire beneath. I bet her family must have thought he was a complete tw#t - I wonder if he's still married? :):):)

tmmorris
17th Feb 2016, 05:50

:):):)

No they're not.

it does change from time to time but the current advice does not prohibit it.

piperboy84
17th Feb 2016, 06:07
I was flying down from Forfar to Cumbernauld for breakfast one morning, had about 10 miles to run and some flash bastard went whizzing past my slow coach Maule in a fancy looking RV. Taxiing up to parking behind them I was looking for a reason to dislike him even more when he handed me the opportunity on a plate by him and his right seater climbing out in natty looking flights suits with badges. Ah ha I thought “so he’s one of those kind of bastards” taking solace in my now firm belief that the guy who had just dusted me was a prat.

In the restaurant he struck up a conversation with me, the content of which I was hoping would comprehensively consolidate my view he was a tosser.
Unfortunately he turned out to be a really nice bloke and the patches on his suit were from a group called “ Where Eagles Care” which I took an instant liking to as it’s a mix of the title of my favorite movie and what I assume is some kind of flying charity.

After exchanging talk about his around Britain flight on a schedule my old Maule could only dream about we parted bidding each other a safe flight (his was obviously going to be faster than mine). On the flight home I thought to myself speed envy is a horrible thing and you just can’t judge a book by the cover or flight suit for that matter.

Stanwell
17th Feb 2016, 06:37
Sometimes you can't, that's true.
There was an older chap who used to come into the club after work..
His oil-stained flying jacket, torn trousers and band-aided knuckles said "per ardua".
(He was actually a millionaire.)

BTW, he didn't make it out of aviation - he made it out of property speculation.

Pace
17th Feb 2016, 07:13
I'm reliably informed by chaps who fly with you, that you're rather fond of informing people, that you are in actual fact a 'jet pilot', and usually within seconds of meeting them!

YoungSkywalker

I know the particular pilot who goaded you to make this post ;):E;) EL Capitano ------- with an O at the end :ok: He has always been jealous of the black and silver blingy designer tie )

ME? NEVER !!! well depends how pretty she is ;) I am not into the uniform bit that is a has to and the bars go as quickly as possible ( The silver ones matching the tie) ! Yellow jackets ? Have they ever saved a life? Maybe we should have flashing beacons attached to our bodies instead! Could go into the checklist "Pilot beacon On?"

Pace

Small Rodent Driver
17th Feb 2016, 07:32
Originally Posted by Small Rodent Driver View Post

No they're not.

it does change from time to time but the current advice does not prohibit it.

Really? Perhaps it's just the sections of the armed forces my son and son in law serve with that impose such a ban? Both different sections as it happens.

You live and learn.

Flyingmac
17th Feb 2016, 08:49
We had a guy turn up the other day for his second microlight lesson.
He was wearing a T-shirt with Top Gun across the front and Maverick on the back. Poor fellow. It will be the last time he does that.:{

Union Jack
17th Feb 2016, 09:17
It does change from time to time but the current advice does not prohibit it. - TMM

As TMM says and a decision made by local commanders, given the obvious provisos that individuals should use common sense, particularly depending on where they're travelling, and that they should of course be correctly dressed and well turned out.

Jack

Pace
17th Feb 2016, 09:33
Pace, I've no idea to whom you refer!

As he sent me a teasing affectionate E mail this morning I think so :ok: Its a small world our world

Pace

Capn Bug Smasher
17th Feb 2016, 09:35
He was wearing a T-shirt with Top Gun across the front and Maverick on the back. Poor fellow. It will be the last time he does that.:{

Pahaha, I actually had that shirt for a while! But mine was a fake from Primark so I didn't have Maverick on the back (that was obviously the copyrighted bit.) That was fine - I decided to print my own name on but never got round to it - and I only paid a couple of bob rather than fifteen quid!

Swings and roundabouts - the logo faded horribly in the wash and three years later now all I have is a plain navy tee :(

TelsBoy
17th Feb 2016, 09:50

I take the view of wear what you want because it's none of my business, whether that be manky old clothes, shorts, suit, growbag, boiler suit, don't care, it's the pilot that matters. Not a big deal, unless turning up with bonedome, g-suit and parachutes to fly circuits in a 152 which crosses the line of daftness :rolleyes:

That said, any reference to the Top Gun movie is a semi-unforgiveable fopah which results in banishment to Aviation Purgatory for one to spend considerable time in repentance. :yuk:

DeltaV
17th Feb 2016, 18:30
ME? NEVER !!!
First line of your opening post.

Ok a bit of a fun topic Flying corporate jets we wear bars and white shirts
Busted!

Pace
18th Feb 2016, 10:17
ME NEVER was a joke comment and wasn't referring to wearing a uniform :E which yes I have to otherwise I would be shot at dawn.

Pace

Genghis the Engineer
18th Feb 2016, 11:07
There's an F/O at RYR who had the motif "Born to Fly" emblazoned within a pair of large angel wings, tattooed across his shoulders whilst still in groundschool before completing any flying training. He was almost chopped after around 40hrs flying experience but not yet solo...

Maybe it provided the motivation he needed?

G

Reverserbucket
18th Feb 2016, 16:07
Well yes, Genghis, he finally managed to solo after a not-insignificant amount of remedial training and retook his exams and finally managed to pay for a job with a European airline so I guess it did.

Sir Niall Dementia
19th Feb 2016, 14:04
The "going on the pull advantage" goes when you read your job terms and conditions, everywhere I've worked since 1989 has the caveat that uniform shall not be worn in pubs, bars, restaurants etc. Its considered to be bad form to be swallowing booze when anyone in the place could be expecting you to fly them later. I well remeber a crew from a now defunct airline being fired for having lunch in a hotel restaurant in uniform, there was no booze, but a passenger queried it and the airline fired the crew for gross misconduct.

SND

Pace
19th Feb 2016, 15:01
:SND

I agree with you that consuming alcohol wearing a uniform is not good practice even if it's at the end of the day after a flight! Alcohol and a pilots uniform don't go and people who see you don't know whether you have finished your flight or about to go on one later that evening!

As for the pull factor it's not the uniform! Think I would feel an idiot chatting up the fairer sex in uniform ) but the occupation in conversation does work with SOME women IMO you have to use what you can :E

Pace

flybymike
19th Feb 2016, 15:37
It's impossible to talk about pilots and alcohol without posting this link again ;)

http://youtu.be/eC5_W_YsPKg

Reverserbucket
19th Feb 2016, 16:19
I was invited to put my uniform on by a young lady once, many years ago...but that was quite a while after we'd left the bar ;)

Pace
19th Feb 2016, 16:34
It works better in some countries than others where say your a pilot and they think your a sky God never having met one or been near a High wing Cessna 150 jet :E
But never tried it with a uniform ))

Pace

Sir Niall Dementia
19th Feb 2016, 18:13
Pace;

No uniform could ever help my looks!

SND

Pontius
22nd Feb 2016, 05:59
PACE

I'm reliably informed by chaps who fly with you, that you're rather fond of informing people, that you are in actual fact a 'jet pilot', and usually within seconds of meeting them!

There's a lot said in jest and that quoted would not surprise me in the least. I particularly enjoy the threads where Pace inserts, with monotonous regularity, 'twin', 'jet', 'trans-Atlantic' etc into posts where it is totally irrelevant what was flown or where. 'Seneca V' often pops up because that's FAR more impressive than writing 'Seneca' :hmm: Even in this thread we see 'jet' and 'from America' mentioned in the same sentence.

Come on, Pace, stop hanging out in the Private Flying section all the time, where you enjoy the adoration of those who think twins are for the God-like only and regale us elsewhere with your jet flying tales and exceptional skills in being able to fly across vast stretches of water :rolleyes:

flybymike
22nd Feb 2016, 09:53
Why's everyone picking on Pace?

I think I'd be far more impressed with someone capable and brave enough to fly a Seneca1 than a SenecaV.

Pace
22nd Feb 2016, 10:15
I think I'd be far more impressed with someone capable and brave enough to fly a Seneca1 than a SenecaV.

I would totally agree with that! :ok: You will find that I am honest in what I say and it works both ways!

I also honestly post my big mistakes which I have got away with and which many SkyGods would never want to humiliate themselves by exposing. Check previous postings

I also make technical mistakes in these threads and appreciate there are many with more detailed knowledge than I.

So I try to post honestly and can only post on aircraft which I actually fly and flights which I have actually done even if they involve the occasional ferry over vast distances of water} (I would not have the guts to do those trips in winter or summer in a SEP)

I also try to post in a challenging way over conventional thinking not because I am right but to open up discussion with colour and humour if I can.
This thread I started as a humorous thread not some self glorification and enjoy posting in the private pilots forum for a number of reasons.

One I fly private GA aircraft ( Even If I am paid a little to do so) GA and private flying are not all PA28s as some consider. But can be PC12 TBM and jets

Two I have 30 years experience good bad and indifferent and hope some may learn from my big mistakes.

Three my heart is in the colourful varied world of PPL GA flying not the disciplined AOC world so I feel at home here

Pace

Auster Fan
22nd Feb 2016, 17:51
I do wonder whether a certain, apparently elusive ferry pilot who features in a number of threads on the Biz Jet forum wears them...?

Sir Niall Dementia
23rd Feb 2016, 08:06
Auster Fan;

I suspect his are tattoed on!

SND

hub61
23rd Feb 2016, 19:19
I happened to turn up at a fly in, old guy lands an even older aircraft and walking towards me I see bars on his shoulder - initial thought was "prat" - then I noticed he had 5 bars - made me smile!!

airwave45
23rd Feb 2016, 20:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

Count the bars ! :ok:

thing
23rd Feb 2016, 21:01
I'm always confused by glider pilots who turn up to the club in nomex gro bags.., protection against cigarette burns maybe? :confused:

One thing that does strike me as amusing is flying into an air display, Old Warden, Duxford etc in my usual garb of jeans and tatty leather jacket (so tatty I've had to bin it and buy a new one which is embarrassingly shiny as yet being as I'm still grounded) and seeing the spotters in flying jackets covered in badges.

Sir Niall Dementia
24th Feb 2016, 07:37
thing;

A few years ago I was flying in one of the big international displays, one of the display rules was that all crews would be in the full, nomex grow bag. The manufacturer I was flying for went the whole hog and put wings, bars and aircraft patches on the suits. I walked into breakfast in the hotel on the third day and found a load of spotters dressed in all the kit. I joined the group of pilots I was in the hotel with and eventually we left to get changed and catch our transport. Outside the hotel were fleets of busses for the spotters and one for us. The tour guides for the spectators got very confused when out of the hotel came another bus load of people dressed in flying suits like advertising hoardings. One lady tour guide was desperately trying to herd the Frecce Tricolori and the Patrouille de France onto her bus, while they were signing autographs. Our keeper was trying to get them back, the Chinnook crew were impersonating the spectators, and the Luftwaffe guys were pretending to be the coach drivers.

The spotters had a great time, but the thing I think they all really wanted was the signs from our bus, on front, back and both sides were huge signs for the police manning the traffic control and security at the airport reading "Air Display Pilots. Traffic Priority!" Who needs bars, wings and badges with that kind of announcement!

SND

flybymike
24th Feb 2016, 10:08
Nice story! :):ok:

thing
24th Feb 2016, 14:43
Nice one Niall!

The only time I've ever thought 'It's OK this being a pilot lark' was when I flew into a display at an airfield, and it literally was that, just flew in and I was treated like royalty. Given a pass to the pilot's (display pilots that is) marquee with all the free grub etc and someone actually addressed me as 'Sir'!!! I still to this day think they thought I was someone else. I didn't make them any the wiser of course...:)

flybymike
24th Feb 2016, 15:06
The only time I've ever thought 'It's OK this being a pilot lark' was when I flew into a display at an airfield, and it literally was that

Thought you meant that you had flown through an air display for a moment....;)

thing
24th Feb 2016, 15:14
No, I'm a good boy, I read NOTAMS :ok:

Pace
25th Feb 2016, 07:46
Read notams and wear bars ! See a few companies are selling 5 bars
What's 5 for )) astronauts ?

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/images/5%20bar%20eppauette.JPG

Pontius
25th Feb 2016, 10:19
What's 5 for )) astronauts ?

Seneca V drivers :)

(Just pulling your leg :ok:)

Pace
25th Feb 2016, 10:36
Seneca V drivers

Pontus very quick of you and love it ;)

Pace

rnzoli
25th Feb 2016, 12:49
What's 5 for )) astronauts ?If you need to use them in emergencies only, I guess they are for.....Superman?

I still don't understand, how can you find time to "upgrade" yourself to the 5 bar status in the middle of an emergency.

Pace
25th Feb 2016, 13:05
The 5 bars are excellent if your going for an altitude record and need that extra bit of performance ;)
I also heard that in event of an engine failure wearing them extends the glide but not tested that theory yet
But at least we know they are available online to buy and what a bird puller
The joke of a guy seeing a C 130 landing at an RAF base and turning to the girl exclaimed that the Hercules she was watching was a C130 he ten said He flew a C150 :E
Now when the captain of the Easy Jet flight walks on with 4 bars you can pull your 5 bars out and really impress her ))
Length of bars really does matter )))

It genuinely is crazy that this joke thread has gone to over 15,000

Pace

BatteriesNotIncluded
25th Feb 2016, 13:58
I've yet to get my PPL, but I am embarking on the journey later this year. Completely see all the points raised here, especially wearing a uniform out in public.

I used to work at Apple many moons ago and we HAD to cover up the t-shirt. At first it was a nuisance as the cloakroom wasn't on the way out for when we were squeezing in a 30 minute lunch break, but I'd always get bugged if I chanced it without my jacket. I always covered up, even if that meant losing 5 minutes of my precious downtime.

Anyway, there is a big part of me that likes the professionalism of a uniform when flying, even in light aircraft. Wearing one adopts an immediate attitude; not an arrogant or egotistical one, but a professional attitude that I feel could be very beneficial to flying. Especially true when flying with passengers, whether they are friends or not.

Of course, this is me outside looking in. I'm not a pilot (yet) and so I completely see why many or, rather, most damn the idea of PPL'ers wearing uniform. I really do. For me, though - and call me crazy! - I'm seeing both sides of the fence.

thing
25th Feb 2016, 21:34
Anyway, there is a big part of me that likes the professionalism of a uniform when flyingI kind of agree with a previous poster and wear what you want but if you turn up in a spammy wearing a white shirt and bars at some places, not that Breighton would be one of them of course, don't be surprised if your reception is similar to...

BBl0sCFdJgQ

Tinribs
29th Feb 2016, 13:28
I worked for Eastern Airways and we often drove ourselves between airports as you kept the hire car for other trips, we were required to travel in uniform so that you could quickly change plan. Arriving at Aberdeen I then drove to Inverness and stopped at the excellent coffee shop run by a well known soup factory. I bought coffee and a sticky bun for a silly price £1 and found a seat looking out across the fine countryside. A nice lady approached me and asked me to sign their book, not wanting to be difficult I signed but asked why.
"oh we always ask the bus drivers to sign for the concession price"

Pace
29th Feb 2016, 13:35
"oh we always ask the bus drivers to sign for the concession price"

That made me smile :E Once you take the bars off and end up in a white shirt and black trousers that usually happens ;)

Pace

Planemike
29th Feb 2016, 13:39
Didn't know Eastern Airways had any (Air)buses......!!!!!

Capt Kremmen
1st Mar 2016, 17:14
My CFI from many years ago, thought that one bar should equal fifteen hundred hours. Once you'd 'topped' out at six thousand hours, that was it. That wheeze would exclude most of the 'cinema commissionaires'.

Sir Niall Dementia
3rd Mar 2016, 08:02
Thing;

A few years ago at Farnborough I'd been to see a new biz jet on behalf of a purchaser, I'd flown in in with our head of training ans he and I were walking through one of the halls in search of lunch when we were saluted by a couple of RAF airmen. I can't blame them, we really did look as bad as some of the latin american admirals around us:E

SND

Pace
3rd Mar 2016, 09:38
Thing;

A few years ago at Farnborough I'd been to see a new biz jet on behalf of a purchaser, I'd flown in in with our head of training ans he and I were walking through one of the halls in search of lunch when we were saluted by a couple of RAF airmen. I can't blame them, we really did look as bad as some of the latin american admirals around us:E

SND

SND

I can remember landing at a Military base in Africa and wearing Bars. I was saluted by every military personnel who walked past. It was actually embarrassing and you didn't know what to do back, salute ?

There are places where a uniform and bars are vital wear
In the USA ? Jeans a cheque shirt and cowboy hat will suffice ) and maybe cowboy boots

Pace

flybymike
3rd Mar 2016, 10:41
cheque shirt
Sounds expensive. :)

Stanwell
3rd Mar 2016, 10:45
There's the saying that originated in pastoral circles...
"The bigger the hat, the smaller the property".

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Mar 2016, 11:03
Piper L4 Cub, hot summer's afternoon - shorts, T shirt, bare feet! And whole RH side of the aeroplane open of course!

Pace
3rd Mar 2016, 11:34
Sounds expensive. :)

Whoops :E sorry chequered shirt ;)

But different horses for different courses } you don't go to a funeral in day glow yellow suit ? maybe some do ?

Pace

wsmempson
3rd Mar 2016, 11:53
Some years ago I arrived at Beauvais to collect a business client and fly her back to the UK. I was dressed relatively smartly with a white shirt and had the pre-requisite "big-airfield" high-viz tabbard and passes on lanyards and, from the moment I entered the terminal, was accosted by a constant stream of tourists all wanting to know where the bogs were.

OpenCirrus619
3rd Mar 2016, 15:21
Apologies if this has already been posted ...

I think that, if you must wear them, you should do the job properly - these available from afeonline (http://www.afeonline.com/shop/5-bar-novelty-epaulette.html) :E
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmQNniYfe_vjsbtrtfKJ96_K3ShbdpvRwVhyErumv CxSsW33C71A

OC619

Pace
3rd Mar 2016, 15:54
I thought we decided that the Five bars were made for Seneca Five drivers only to depict the V model?

Pace

J McK
3rd Mar 2016, 21:29
My previous role was for biz jet operator and anytime we had passengers it was shirt and bars on but majority of empty sectors was jeans and t shirt and if it was somehwere warm shorts and t shirt. We did alot of positioning on commercials, trains etc but as soon as the operating flights were done it was back to the casuals.