PDA

View Full Version : Raf Air Cadets

uniandpilot
8th Feb 2016, 18:05
Does anyone know how I can get into contact with the RAF Air Cadets as my brother wants to join.

We filled out form on the website twice and we haven't had any contact back for over a month now.

ShyTorque
8th Feb 2016, 18:34
I'd suggest finding out where your local branch is and going along to see them.

rjay259
8th Feb 2016, 18:35
Best thing to do is find where the nearest squadron is to you and what evenings they parade and go down.
The first evening will be an information evening and then maybe they can stay for the rest of it or go the next evening they parade.

There should be a list of local squadrons on the main site that you can search for and the nearest one should come at top.

Hope it helps.

DeepestSouth
8th Feb 2016, 18:40
I strongly second rjay259's advice. That's what I did (many, many years ago), was warmly welcomed at 121 Sqn and had a great time.

Whopity
8th Feb 2016, 18:46
There is a list of Squadrons here (http://www.air-cadets-squadron-finder.org/all-air-cadets-squadrons/)

modelman
8th Feb 2016, 19:07
My lad was in Banbury 1460 squadron, had the most amazing time, learnt to fly, shoot, survival, did the Nijmegen 100 mile twice, Duke of Edinburgh awards, got to Sargeant. I'm sure it matured him a lot and commend it to anyone and sure it made his entry into the Royal Navy much less of a culture shock. All his pals have done well. Hope you get a good squadron near you.

mary meagher
8th Feb 2016, 19:47
But if you or your brother actually would like to learn to fly, a gliding club is the place to go just now, as the Air Cadets are currently grounded. See the military forum for the current situation.

The British Gliding Association website has information about your local gliding clubs; most are pleased to welcome eager youngsters, and it is possible to go solo at age 14. Be prepared to help out on the ground.

uniandpilot
8th Feb 2016, 21:23
Thanks all

and Thanks for the link Whopity.

I knew where the local squadron was located but couldn't find what time the meetings took place. The link provided this information for me

The local squadron to me is the 240.

Does anyone know whether he has to join the local squadron or can he join the 2nd closet one to him.

Thanks for the advice Mary meagher, he wants to join regardless of whether he gets to fly or not. but will look into the British gliding association and see if he wants to do that too.

chillindan
8th Feb 2016, 22:01
He can join whichever squadron he likes!

Piltdown Man
9th Feb 2016, 07:14
ATC is great fun for the kids. They will get a lot out of it. And if it is Darlaston Squadron you want, drop their commanding officer a line. His email address is: oc.240@aircadets

I hope your child has fun.

PM

TelsBoy
9th Feb 2016, 13:29
The ATC is a great organisation that taught me a lot - great range of activities that teach a lot of valuable life skills.

I would recommend visiting/joining the local Sqn and then looking at joining a BGA club if he wants to fly regularly - junior rates are discounted which makes for fun and reasonably affordable flying!

TelsBoy

chevvron
9th Feb 2016, 14:45
Does anyone know how I can get into contact with the RAF Air Cadets as my brother wants to join.

We filled out form on the website twice and we haven't had any contact back for over a month now.
He cannot join the 'RAF Air Cadets' as you put it unless his school has an RAF section of the Combined Cadet Force; he can however join any squadron of the Air Training Corps.

tmmorris
10th Feb 2016, 09:35
He cannot join the 'RAF Air Cadets' as you put it unless his school has an RAF section of the Combined Cadet Force; he can however join any squadron of the Air Training Corps.

You missed the rebranding exercise...

chevvron
11th Feb 2016, 14:50
You missed the rebranding exercise...
My WingCo 'sacked' me in '98 when I was Wing Gliding Liaison Officer; said I wasn't attending enough hours so yes I'm a bit out of touch!