PDA

View Full Version : Converting UK PPL to Hong Kong PPL

bong
6th Feb 2016, 11:57
Hi all,

I have been wanting to learn flying for sometime. so finally decided to make a move. I plan to get some lessons done with a UK flying school and have it converted to Hong Kong PPL when I have my UK licence. I know HKAC only has Cessna for renting, but then the school that I found and liked in the UK only does Piper aircraft. Is it feasible/ practical for me to do some hours in Piper and some hours in Cessna (perhaps another school later on?) to build up my hours for the licensing test?

and for the converting exam, will they count my piper hours??

Cheers!

mrmum
6th Feb 2016, 21:27
Yes, you can do some training in a Piper and some in a Cessna.
Although it's not a great idea to keep swapping aircraft types, especially in the early stages of a PPL, where continuity is more important. However, you seem to be suggesting flying an initial period in a Piper, then switching to a Cessna. This is fine, will be beneficial from an experience PoV, you should find it interesting, but will probably add slightly to the cost of getting your PPL.

For licensing/test purposes, hours are hours, (as long as they are on correct class of aircraft), it doesn't matter which manufacturer or aircraft type they are flown on, or what time period you gained them over.

bong
14th Feb 2016, 08:23
Thanks mrmum, I will keep that in mind! Just wondering, are the mechanics and controlling much different in a piper and a Cessna? Like would I have to learn much from scratch when I switch from one to the other half way through the course?

mrmum
15th Feb 2016, 22:28
You don't say which model of Piper your preferred UK school has, but the PA28 is the most common.
The primary flight controls in both this and the C152/172 are very similar, they all have foot pedals for rudder, nose wheel steering & differential toe brakes, with a control column/yoke to move the ailerons & elevator for roll & pitch. They all work in almost the same way and have a similar feel. The main flight instruments should be virtually the same.
One difference is the Cessnas tend to have electric flaps and the Piper has manual ones. Also the Cessna will have plunger type engine controls, whereas Pipers tend to have quadrant levers.
The secondary instruments, switches and avionics will be totally at random in the cockpit, even on different examples of the same aircraft type.
You will need a little time to familiarise yourself, when switching from one type to another, but it shouldn't take long.

India Four Two
21st Feb 2016, 17:02
bong,

mrmum's advice is very appropriate. When you first get into a Cessna after flying a Piper, it is going to feel very strange, but by the time you are on final for your first circuit, you will just be flying the plane. ;-)

bong
13th Mar 2016, 08:34
Thanks mr mum and India four two! Much appreciated your advices as I'm brand new as a sheet when it comes to flying. It's the PA38 that I will be flying with!