PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the sw of England

stiknruda
23rd Jun 2002, 11:50
I intend to take the Pitts down to Bodmin for an aero's comp next month. The aeroplane is based in Norfolk

The plan would be to fly down on the Friday and back late Saturday or perhaps Sunday.

A quick look at the half mil shows the area south of Bristol to be fairly restricted I will want to stop to unfold the map and for for motion lotion at Popham, Old Sarum or Compton Abbas.

My question is do any of you who are familiar with this area have any recommended VFR routes for this trip.

I guess Popham DCT Compton DCT Sutton Binngham Res DCT Bodmin seems fairly painless.

TIA

Stik

Rusty Cessna
23rd Jun 2002, 13:59
Hiya Stik,

Assuming you get your "motion Lotion" from Compton, you can fly the route of my QXC down to Bodmin, and it is both very nice and very painless.

Basically just jaunt of from Compton and speak to Yeovilton if they are open, they are great. I fly from Plymouth but modifying the route to Bodmin, route down to Exmouth VRP speaking to Exeter, then to Yelverton VRP, this way it keeps you nice and clear of the firing ranges on Dartmoor and gives you nice roads to follow. Id say talk to Plymouth for the last leg, from Yelverton go direct to Bomin.

Its not the most direct route but it keeps you out of the way of all restricted and danger areas, it also gives you a nice coastal flight and the landmarks are easy to find. Its a shame im not goin to be home when your at Bodmin, I would have loved to popped down to see the Pitts, especially as I didnt make the fly in.

Hope this helps, need anything more just ask.

Rusty.

White Shadow
23rd Jun 2002, 14:17
Stik -

Old Sarum & Compton Abbas are lovely friendly places, with good food, too.
You'll know Poham and its approaches, after the recent jolly there...

For Old Sarum - Boscombe Down/Middle Wallop usually inactive at week-ends but probably active on Friday so give Boscombe Zone a call, and approach Old Sarum via Aldebury vrp, 800 ft on Boscombe QFE. (See Pooleys)

Compton Abbas easiest to see from the North (Shaftesbury) side. Craftilly hidden by a belt of trees on the S side. White flashing beacon on the field.

Boscombe and Yeovilton ATC are efficient and helpful. Talk to them, let them know what that particular green ant on their vdu is.

For the rest of the way, try Aldebury vrp direct Okehampton town (just N of D011) direct Bodmin.

For your return, you could try Okehampton > Bridgewater > Severn Bridges (Bristol usually let you follow the motorway at under 1500ft their QFE)

Welcome to the West Country. Enjoy the aeros!

WS

stiknruda
23rd Jun 2002, 14:30
Thanks chaps - just the info I was looking for.

Stik

White Shadow
23rd Jun 2002, 14:33
Stik-

ps - Look out for parachutists over Dunkeswell, if you go that way....

WS

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jun 2002, 20:56
Just flown Bodmin -- Compton return today. Lovely trip -- could see the South Wales coast and Lundy Island from just North of Exeter.

You could always take the Southern route via Exmouth VRP, then across Dartmoor and get an excellent view of both the pretty Eastern and Western sides of Dartmoor and also the grimmest prison in England in the middle. (Watch out for the 2300ft Princetown mast, though!)

Vis a vis Compton and crosswinds. If you're a dab hand at these in your Pitts you might be happy going in there in a Southerly, but they only have one runway, 26/08, and it's on top of a hill with trees just to the South so lots of curl-over. Just a thought.

When's the competition by the way?

Have a good flight!

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jun 2002, 21:07
Just flown Bodmin -- Compton return today. Lovely trip -- could see the South Wales coast and Lundy Island from just North of Exeter.

You could always take the Southern route via Exmouth VRP, then across Dartmoor and get an excellent view of both the pretty Eastern and Western sides of Dartmoor and also the grimmest prison in England in the middle. (Watch out for the 2300ft Princetown mast, though!)

Vis a vis Compton and crosswinds. If you're a dab hand at these in your Pitts you might be happy going in there in a Southerly, but they only have one runway, 26/08, and it's on top of a hill with trees just to the South so lots of curl-over. Just a thought.

When's the competition by the way?

Have a good flight!

Circuit Basher
24th Jun 2002, 09:43
White Shadow
Generally agree with your post (and all the others), but please note that Boscombe will almost certainly be active at weekends, due to flying air experience in Grob Tutors with Space Cadets ;) They're likely to be active from 0830 to 1700, with an hour for lunch (ISTR 1200 - 1300). You may have to call a couple of times, as they may be talking to 'their' aircraft on UHF, which you won't be aware of. Generally very helpful.

Regarding alternatives, if you prefer tarmac and an option in the event of crosswinds that are outside your comfort zone, have a think about Thruxton which is also a very nice place!! A word of caution: In my spare time, I have been known to be active near Thruxton with small handheld things that go bang. A lot of Thruxton traffic has strayed through our overhead below 2k ft, little realising how close they are to perforated fuselages / tailplanes. Beware the danger zones, particularly at weekends; the weekends are usually used by cadets / TA / OTC, etc, whose aim / weapons handling may be a little more suspect!! ;)

White Shadow
24th Jun 2002, 17:50
CB -
Thanks for that info.
I call well before any military Zone, myself, any day of the week.
Sometimes takes repeated calls at weekends before getting an answer.
If no answer at all, I check with London Information.
WS

Troy McClure
27th Jun 2002, 21:43
You can't beat the coastal route from Poole Harbour, quick spin round Corfe Castle, then along past Lulworth Cove, Durdle Door to Weymouth and Portland. Compton Abbas is a great airfield, catch a glimpse of the nearby Cerne Giant (chalk hill figure) then back to the coast via Abbotsbury and on to Lyme Regis and thence to Torquay. Danger areas all along the Dorset coast, but pretty much closed weekends and holidays; London will advise.

Enjoy.

:)

TMC