PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools in Las Vegas

pilotpj
23rd Jun 2002, 08:08
I am a student pilot (PPL) at the moment and am going to the States (West Coast) for a holiday in Aug and hope to rent an aircraft from Las Vegas Airport (dual as I may not have my license by then). Does anyone know which school would be best to go to for a C172? I am edging towards West Air Aviation as they have been most helpful but I would like it if someone has first hand information.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Pilotpj

Check 6
23rd Jun 2002, 08:39
See my e-mail.

PaperTiger
23rd Jun 2002, 17:45
Don't know what Check6 recommended, but I have rented from Air Excel in Boulder. Can't speak for their training, but they seem a decent outfit. I prefer Boulder (about 30 mins South) as the traffic is much less and no LAS or Nellis heavy metal to deal with.
They have a website which google will find, as commercial links not allowed here.

RIAB
24th Jun 2002, 09:37
I popped into West Air last year to enquire about rental rates and agree that they were very helpful (and Claudia on the desk is gorgeous)! I didn't take it any further at the time so can't give you any comparissons though.

BTW - you will really need something supercharged with air conditioning as Vegas is high and in August will be VERY hot.

RIAB

The Nr Fairy
24th Jun 2002, 10:56
And if you can, try getting to Death Valley - about 90mins in a 172, and you can come back the same way or go south and then pick up the freeway.

I've got it in my logbook - -210' amsl ! Odd feeling having 1500' indicated and things looking slightly odd . . .