PDA

View Full Version : Validity of Aged PPL

teeteringhead
23rd Jun 2002, 06:43
A curious question from a military aviator:

First the background.

Many years ago, during my basic training on Chipmunks, we had a scheme whereby (as I recall) we paid a small fee, maybe did an extra exam or two, and got a PPL valid for the DHC-1 Chipmunk. Which I duly did, and received a bright, shiny light brown and gold PPL. Which has never been used, as Auntie Betty has been extremely generous since then in letting me fly HM's military aircraft to the tune of 5000 hours or so.

Now as seniority/retirement/desk jobs beckon, although still fit and current as a (military) aviator, the stark realisation dawns that if I'm going to continue to "slip the surly bonds", I'm going to have to join you guys/gals and start paying for it!

The question is: is my Aged Virgin PPL worth anything, or am I starting back at square one as a wannabee? I have heard conflicting advice: some have said that the rules changed in (?) 1975 or so, and that licences issued BEFORE that date remain valid; others that only licences AFTER that date remain valid in perpetuity if not used. Others still have quoted a 25 year "rolling validity" for unused licences. So what is the real answer?

Ergo I venture away from the mil forum to this fount of all knowledge on private aviation! I realise the requirements for currency, checkrides, medicals etc, but is the licence itself (in the attic somewhere, but issued in 1969 or 70) valid as anything more than a souvenir of my taildragging days in a Chippy???

Hairyplane
23rd Jun 2002, 07:20
The only way you can revalidate is to liase with the CAA.

Send them an EMail explaining your situation and they will tell you what will be required of you.

THey will probably want to examine your logbooks and will then state a minimum course of training - probably not that many hours in your case - for you to obtain a new licence.

Go for it!

Noggin
23rd Jun 2002, 07:50
Much easier than that. All you have to do now is to revalidate it in accordance with JAR-FCL1. In simple you just take a Skill Test with an examiner. The rating then goes to the CAA for renewal.

Training is as required to pass the test. No exams to take any more. The rating will be valid on all single engine piston aeroplanes.

Captain Airclues
23rd Jun 2002, 11:27
teeteringhead

I'm afraid that Hairyplane is correct. The requirements are laid down in AIC 115/1999 and Standards Document 14. They were amended on 15/2/00 (CCA ref 10D/5001/003), but only in respect of ratings which have expired by less than five years, in which case Noggin would be correct.

The requirements are;

1. Complete any refresher training reuirements specified by the authority.

2. Complete the appropriate proficiency check or skill test (for an SEP rating, JAR-FCL 1.245(e)(2) requires the completion of a class rating skill test. Hoewever, the Authority will deem that this requirement has been met by examiners completing the LPC SPA form as a renewal.)

3. The completed LPC form should be sent to the CAA who will renew the licence (the examiner should not sign the licence).

4. A rating variation fee will be payable.

I suggest that you contact the PLD at the CAA who will advise you of the training that they require. In your case I would expect it to be minimal. Good luck, and I hope that you enjoy your flying.

Airclues

Noggin
23rd Jun 2002, 13:48
Quite right but you are out of date! The rules were simplified only a few weeks ago.

If you read the following document, you will see that all you have to do is a Skill Test and Aural with an examiner. No longer any need to contact the CAA as I stated above.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf

BEagle
23rd Jun 2002, 15:06
Noggin - presumably you mean an Oral? Rather than an 'Aural' - i.e. merely listening to the Examiner?

Please remind the CFE, Head of PLD and your other colleagues at the Belgrano that, diligent as we Examiners might be, regrettably we are not clairvoyant. So for foxtrot's sake, please ensure that Examiners are advised of such changes before we read about them in the Press or on PPRuNe.....

GroundBound
24th Jun 2002, 15:38
I was in much the same situation as you (less the 5000 hours unfortunately).

I obtained a PPL back in 1967, but due to circumstances had never been able to keep it valid for more than a couple of years, so it was more than 30 years out of date.

The SRG have a GID (18? - see the SRG web site) which gives all the rules. They make a distinction of 0-5 years, 5-10 years and more than 10 years.

I had to:
- take all the written exams
- take the R/T licence exam
- gain at least 10 hours of flying, which covered
* 2 hours spin/stall awareness
* at least 4 hours solo
* at least 4 hours cross country, including the qualifying cross country
- take the skill test

In all, I took about 25 hours to regain the licence. Lots of sweat and tears boning up for the written though - not used to it nowadays.

I now have a JAR PPL :D

GoneWest
24th Jun 2002, 17:08
I looked at the link posted by Noggin.

It says "This General Information Document (GID) offers information as a basic guide to maintaining the priviles of your Licence and the ratings therein. In this respect, the information is not definitive. The latest version of (CAP) 53 & 54 and JAR-FCL 1 & 2 will always be used by Personnel Licensing when considering queries about licensing requirements"

So that means there has been no change then.!! This link takes you to a useless document, does it not?

GroundBound
24th Jun 2002, 20:09
Try this link

srg_fcl_gid21.pdf (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid21.pdf)

The document is about obtaining a PPL, but it also contains some of the conditions for renewing an outdated (more than 10 years old) one.

teeteringhead
27th Jun 2002, 06:00
Many thanks to all posters. I guess my priorities now are to:

a. Find PPL in attic.

b. Talk to CAA.

c. Persuade Chief of Staff (Home Command) that for my mental health I need to stay flying - even at the cost of real money.

d. Start saving shedloads of money!

Thanks again for the info and steers/links.;)