PDA

View Full Version : Daimond Katana for hire

Superpilot
23rd Jun 2002, 00:18
Anyone know of any outfits which offer the Diamond Katana (DA-20) for hire? (preferrably in the South somewhere and as new as possible).

Thanks in advance.

PeteB
23rd Jun 2002, 00:31
I believe Cubair based at Redhill fly Katanas.

http://www.cubair.demon.co.uk/

Don't know what the club's like as I fly with another at redhill.

WestWind1950
23rd Jun 2002, 06:07
I assume you mean England?? This forum is around the world you know! Here in Germany we have many places for renting Katanas..... but probably too far for you ;)

keep flying!
WestWind1950

ooops...spelled Katana wrong! had to edit...shame on me... :o

sennadog
23rd Jun 2002, 10:57
Yep, Cubair have them. Two DA 20s and a DA 40 (with amazing avionics) and in a couple of years the new Diamond twin as well.

Both of them are in pretty good condition although I slightly prefer G-PD out of the two of them but I'm a student so what do I know?

Contact then on 01737 822124

.:D

SKYYACHT
25th Jun 2002, 16:11
Hey Sennadog, How are you doing......are you still on for Thursday?

See ya then

Cheers

sennadog
25th Jun 2002, 17:29
Yep, usual time. I've managed a couple of solo XCs since then.:)

Flying Tooth Driller
25th Jun 2002, 22:47
Cabair - at Elstree and Cranfield.

spils
26th Jun 2002, 08:04
Just out of interest, what is a Katana like to fly as I saw one in Venice that was available to rent and am still seriously considering going back there to do that.

sennadog
26th Jun 2002, 08:14
spils . The Katana is a great aircraft as far as I'm concerned (I'm a PPL student) with the only criticism that I've heard being that it is a little underpowered although I understand that there is a newer 100hp engine available which should sort out the speed freaks!

I have to say that it's the only aircraft that I've flown so I may be biased but I know that SKYACHT has flown quite a few different aircraft and he rates it. It seems pretty benign to me, an example being the stall when you can pull the stick back as far as you want and all it will do is bob the nose up and down.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's one of the easier aircraft to fly and being composite it's light with modern avionics and given that the Katanas at Redhill operate off grass all year round they must be fairly robust.

I think that you'll enjoy it if you have a go.

spitfire747
26th Jun 2002, 08:26
I did the majority of my PPL training on the Katana DA-20 and i found it to be a little GEM. Obviously you do not have the size and the "heavy" feel of the warrioir, but it really is no more than a glider with an engine.
One thing you will notice is that huge canopy which offers excellent, all rouond visibility. The control stick between your legs is a doddle to use and once trimmed and set up will fly dead straight and level for hours. (p.s. the stick is in a awkward place if you have a large knee board).
Once thing you need to be carefuul of is the steering on the ground, it is not steered by conventional rotating front wheel, but by differential breaking on the main wheels, alittle tricky at first, but like riding a bike, you get used to it.
It is a fun aeroplane to fly, even with two heavy people and fuel the planes performance is adequate enough !

I enjoyed my time in the DA-20 and would look forward to the new Diamon Twin coming soon.

Regards
Spitfire747

sennadog
26th Jun 2002, 08:50
Just to add to what I said in an earlier post. I got the information about the Diamond twin coming to Cubair from the Diamond website - this may not be strictly true. Also, the other great thing about this aircraft is that it is extremely quiet. I can barely hear them when they come over my house - a big bonus in this NIMBY world!

100LL
26th Jun 2002, 08:57
Diamond Aircraft announced their newest design, a four seat, retractable gear twin-engine aircraft, by displaying the actual prototype at the recent Berlin Airshow. The new aircraft, designated the DA42 "TwinStar", complements Diamond's current 2 and 4 seaters and is designed for flight-training as well as personal and business use. The new twin offers familiar Diamond characteristics including dual control sticks, all composite construction, low stall speed, excellent performance, low fuel consumption, and unparalleled visibility. The aircraft is designed to the very latest airworthiness standards and features numerous active and passive safety features.

The TwinStar is powered by a pair of turbocharged diesel Thielert Aircraft Engines that are designed to operate on both automotive diesel and Jet A1 fuel. This engine recently received JAR-E certification and has been testing in Diamond's DA40tdi, which is slated for European certification later this year. Modern pilot workload-reducing features include electronic fuel management, automatic prop control and auto-feather. Low engine noise emission, excellent climb performance, and slow turning propellers combine to set new standards in low noise signatures. Fuel economy is simply unparalleled. Conventional powerplants may be offered as well, but at this time such plans have not been finalized.

The performance of the 270 hp TwinStar sets new standards in this class. Projected performance offers over 1400 mile range, 180 ktas cruise at 9 gph total, 203 ktas at 12 gph total at 12,000 ft, useful load of over 900 lbs plus full fuel, and a sea level climb rate of over 1700 fpm. Single engine performance will redefine the safety margins in this class. With a projected base IFR price under US$360,000, and low operating costs, the TwinStar offers a realistic and safer alternative to high performance singles.

Optional equipment will include a glass cockpit, oxygen system and anti/de-icing.

First flight is scheduled for September 2002, with initial deliveries in early 2004.

You can see the new DA42 Here (http://www.diamondair.de/images/da42/ila-pics/da42-web/index2.htm)

camaro
26th Jun 2002, 19:21
100LL

Everybody will think you are trying to sell one!!!!:p

GF

SKYYACHT
26th Jun 2002, 20:31
Sennadog is correct - I have checked out on the DA20 Katana, and it is a nice, well harmonised aeroplane, with bags of viz, and sweet handling.....I would rather fly this any day over a C150, even if it is £20 an hour more..... I am not biased, as I also fly Warriors, Senecas (when I have the cash!) and particularly enjoy old aeroplanes ....but for general purpose cross country leisure flying I rate the Katana highly......could this be because I used to fly Gliders and these are similar technology????

100LL
27th Jun 2002, 13:54
Who me!!!

Pass my regards on to D T at Cubair