PDA

View Full Version : EASA FTL

RMC
22nd Jan 2016, 11:51
My company has just implemented this and is advising that when we are down route for several days at a time we are to be available for duty at all times. No standby times on the roster...100% available is their claim. This clearly isn't right....but it looks like a minefield. Appreciate any enlightened views on this. Thanks in advance.

LlamaFarmer
22nd Jan 2016, 14:05
Almost certain that cannot be legal.

Do they require you to be contactable 24/7, or merely available for a duty if asked?

Surely if you have DOO and post-duty/pre-duty rest periods they are completely devoid of any duty and obligation to be contactable.

My understanding is that they could require you to be contactable, but not at all times, and that they could then contact you and advise of a new duty.

Even if something is not in breach of FTLs, doesn't mean it's not in breach of union-negotiated agreements that may be in place within your company.

RMC
22nd Jan 2016, 21:56
My thoughts exactly ....there are no times specified the deal is we are contactable 100% of the time.....can't venture from the hotel more than an hour and a half away and need to refrain from any alcohol!

LlamaFarmer
22nd Jan 2016, 22:27
I'd be speaking to a union rep pretty quickly about that, assuming you're a member or there's recognition in your company.

I'm sure I heard or read somewhere someone explaining that a roster should work such that a pilot knows when they can have a beer.

Ie they should always be able to know when they can have a drink in the hotel and not be in breach of bottle to throttle. (Doesn't mean they always have to be able to have a drink, but they should be able to know definitively if they can or can't)

epsum
6th Feb 2016, 01:27
From our manual:

No one can consume any alcoholic beverages whilst on assignment. So, no beers for us.

Big Tudor
7th Feb 2016, 14:43
epsom

Read sections ORO.FTL.110 (b),(d),(e) & (g). These cover operator responsibilities for planning and notification of duty periods to allow crew members to adequately plan rest periods to avoid fatigue. If you don't know when your duty period ends you cannot possibly plan when your rest period will start. More worryingly, you can't adequately plan around your circadian rhythms.

B737900er
7th Mar 2016, 11:47
Sounds like poor interpolation of FTL's. Being downright still classes as being on duty, unless its a day off down route. But could they ask you to do an FDP is another question.

Report times have to be stated so you can plan adequate rest to mitigate fatigue. I would contact the union or local CAA.