PDA

View Full Version : Iberia hits de-icing trucks during taxi in Munich

TBSC
20th Jan 2016, 12:41
Brake trouble or tea and no biscuits with the chief pilot tomorrow?

IB A319 Hits Deicing Trucks At MUC — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6603968/)

twochai
20th Jan 2016, 13:44
It looks like the de-icing truck operator cabs were set too low for the A320; they seem to have been positioned for an A320 without sharklets.

Once again, new-fangled winglets cause ramp rash, negating any fuel savings on that airframe for a few years!

eckhard
20th Jan 2016, 13:47
The guys in the platforms were lucky not to have been killed. A Royal Air Maroc 747-400 knocked over two trucks in Montreal some years ago with two fatalities.....

Aerostar6
20th Jan 2016, 14:16
I hate to say it, but it looks more like the aircraft moved forward before the truck was clear.
Clearly the truck has been pushed half over by the wing, and one of the photos shows the aircraft is well ahead of the deice hold bar painted on the taxiway.

clipstone1
20th Jan 2016, 15:14
having been de-iced at HAJ last night, aircraft stopped, trucks approached, trucks did their job, de-icer trucks moved well away from the aircraft all before we started to taxi again....

de-icer trucks iin this incident look to have been either very much in the wrong place OR the aircraft re-commenced taxi too early, before the de-icers were clear of the aircraft after de-icing...

pudoc
20th Jan 2016, 16:58
tea and no biscuits with the chief pilot tomorrow?

:=

Hot chocolate no churros :ok:

OR the aircraft re-commenced taxi too early, before the de-icers were clear of the aircraft after de-icing

Doesn't look like they even started de-icing judging by the wings. You can see "de-icing hold" in the second photo, I assume that's where the nose wheel was meant to be.

FlightDetent
20th Jan 2016, 23:11
Parking brake failure?

peekay4
21st Jan 2016, 03:48
I hate to say it, but it looks more like the aircraft moved forward before the truck was clear.
Two trucks were hit at once... (one by each wing). Oops.

Maybe the aircraft went to the wrong pad for some reason?

DaveReidUK
21st Jan 2016, 06:52
More photos here:

Airbus von Iberia kollidiert am Flughafen München mit Enteisungsfahrzeug | Region (http://www.tz.de/muenchen/region/airbus-iberia-kollidiert-flughafen-muenchen-enteisungsfahrzeug-tz-6050870.html)

Volume
21st Jan 2016, 12:08
Indeed looks like without winglets this would have just fitted perfectly...
Which type of plane was de-iced prior to this one? Can I take a bet that it was an A320 without winglets... What fits on the way out, fits on the way in as well...

slingsby
21st Jan 2016, 12:33
An known experience and fits:

1: the booms of the de-icing trucks are already extended in preparation for de-icing the aircraft (with the expectation for the aircraft to stop on the designated line_. This would in theory expedite the de-icing start/finish time, and subsequently creates a shorter withdrawal time, and should not impact greatly on the ETOT.

2: the aircraft, as displayed in the pictures, has gone past the stop line, as such impacting the extended booms if the above scenario is correct.

As such, the boom operators, would start the de-icing spray almost immediately as the aircraft stops, as the aircraft would (in theory) have been in contact with the de-ice ramp radio comms and have already instructed the operators on the de-ice requirements.

Maybe a little bit of commercial pressure on not delaying aircraft during de-icing so-as the operators (airline) cannot blame the airport for subsequent delays. (IMHO)

lederhosen
21st Jan 2016, 13:08
It will be instructive to find out what went wrong. But having deiced there this week I can tell you that you self position till you are in line with the marking (which they are well past). You then report ready for deicing parking break set. The trucks then come out from each side to the aircraft.

One possibility must be that the captain thought they had finished and moved forward before receiving the clearance on the deicing frequency. I actually briefed my newish copilot of this danger the last time we were there and the fatal accident with the 747.

I find it hard to believe you would willingly try and taxi between two trucks in the photographed position and there would anyway be no reason for them to be there until the aircraft reported ready.

I also remember needing a fair amount of breakout power to get our aircraft moving after deicing as it was all pretty sticky. So I think the most probable scenario is moving before clearance from deicing. It is a seperate frequency so if you told ground on the other frequency you were finished they would not know any better and clear you for taxi. Expensive mistake, it will probably cost in the hundreds of thousands if they need new winglets or worse. But at least nobody was injured thank goodness.

hoss183
21st Jan 2016, 14:20
From the evidence i'm sure it was just that. Either failure to set parking brake, or continuation before cleared.
The trucks would not be in place before the a/c arrived, nor would the pilot taxi into them. Also in that case the speed would have been greater and the trucks pushed/toppled further.

The Bartender
21st Jan 2016, 19:55
I would be impressed if this hasn't caused some damage to the wingstructure.
These trucks probably weigh in at 19 tons ++ when empty, 25 tons ++ full up, each of course, and don't flip over easily...

CHAPARRAL
21st Jan 2016, 21:20
Are we not supposed to wait for the “spray finished” message and take note of start and finish times as well as fluid type and %?
Just my two cents…

hr2pilot
21st Jan 2016, 23:13
...your two cents are correct.

b4dger
23rd Jan 2016, 06:15
If it was a two step de-ice did they mistakenly take the call that the first step was complete and that they were finished de-icing when in fact the rigs were just starting the second!?