PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair delayed: We have ice we don't want to die !!

markkal
19th Jan 2016, 13:54
«Non vogliamo morire», la hostess semina il panico sull?aereo Ryanair. Passeggeri infuriati - Corriere TV (http://video.corriere.it/non-vogliamo-morire-hostess-semina-panico-sull-aereo-ryanair-passeggeri-infuriati/6dd49780-be96-11e5-8000-980215fcd4e6)

Not very professional hostess announcement on Ryanair flight to justify long delay:
"We have ice on the wings we don't want to die"

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah

Hope Ryan pilots entering as FO's with fresh 200Hrs TT ATPL are more capable than the flight crews.....

111boy
19th Jan 2016, 14:05
Just shows the fantastic training, professional attitude, total package! Respect

FlightDetent
19th Jan 2016, 14:30
There's ice on the wings, removal of which will incure a delay. We'll do it, because we do not want to die. Nothing wrong with that in my book. On the contrary, this is exactly the logic to be expected of any pilot. Plenty of reading available on the topic. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Ontario_Flight_1363)

Would people take objection to C=2*PI*r ?:ugh:

RAT 5
19th Jan 2016, 15:03
Why is not the captain making the announcement to inform the passengers of such an operational event? Presumably they will see lots of curious activity going on outside and ned some reassuring.

Wageslave
19th Jan 2016, 15:11
On the last 2.5hr return trip I did with this shower the pilots were introduced by the cabin crew as Colin and Bill (or whatever) and we heard not one jot from either of them. Not a word. :ugh:

wiggy
19th Jan 2016, 15:12
I suppose it's possible that the captain did say something suitable, but what he/she said got lost in translation and the papers/twotter/bookface crowd only went with the juicy version..

DaveReidUK
19th Jan 2016, 15:31
Not very professional hostess announcement on Ryanair flight to justify long delay:
"We have ice on the wings we don't want to die"

Maybe it was one of Ryanar's Aussie cabin crew: "we have ice on the wings we don't want today" :O

FlightDetent
19th Jan 2016, 15:43
Why is not the captain making the announcement to inform the passengers of such an operational event? Presumably they will see lots of curious activity going on outside and ned some reassuring. Just before the video is cut to loop, you can hear a cockpit PA with a male voice.

pattern_is_full
19th Jan 2016, 16:01
<<Non vogliamo morire>>

Isn't it amazing how saying anything in Italian makes it sound like the title of an aria?

I applaud the honesty - the phrasing might have been, umm, gentler.

KelvinD
19th Jan 2016, 16:35
She was having a laugh. Even the passengers figured that out and laughed along with it.

markkal
19th Jan 2016, 17:17
Let's condone it, it may have been an ironical statement !!!

zerotohero
19th Jan 2016, 19:02
Wow that cabin crew needs firing!

What a joke.

+TSRA
19th Jan 2016, 19:19
There was a study published in 2006 by the Australian Transportation Safety Bureau, where responses from participants and their reaction during mock evacuation drills suggested that the use of strong, deliberate language as well as what they labelled "active briefings" actually produced a more efficient evacuation.

Here is the link: http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/32733/grant_20040239.pdf

Some responses from participants even went so far to suggest that cabin crew mention the risk of injury during an evacuation in their briefings so as to highlight the, possible, unseen danger.

Granted the example in the OP's post doesn't deal with an evacuation, but it does highlight the possible methodology of explaining to passengers why something is being done. De-icing is an honest attempt to reduce the chances of dying - so why not say that.

Extrapolation from this study would suggest that passengers may react better than the stock standard "we are de-icing for your safety."

edi_local
19th Jan 2016, 19:57
I was on a rival airlines flight a few years back and during the safety demo the crew talking down the mic said something along the lines of "only inflate the lifejacket when we...should we crash" :D

Got a few laughs.

Teevee
19th Jan 2016, 20:46
As purely SLF nothing annoys me more than other pax having a moan at some necessary delay. Unfortunately a great many pax are so thick or ignorant that they don't appreciate that de-icing is a very necessary delay and 'diplomatic' or 'professional' language often as not doesn't get through to them. Saying it like it is, as in this case does the job perfectly as well as giving a bit of a laugh to those of us who knew it anyway!

PENKO
19th Jan 2016, 20:56
Be careful with what you say out there, some idiot might record it and before you know it you have a perpetual moment of 'fame' on youtube. Poor girl.

despegue
20th Jan 2016, 00:07
Before the Safety Briefing, I now go on the PA and say in clear voice the following: "This is the Captain. Silence and Attention in the Cabin NOW. Cabin Crew, please perform the Safety Briefing".

The cabin is always completely quiet:ok:

b1lanc
20th Jan 2016, 00:53
Well, it wouldn't have bothered me but I know a number of folks that would have upped there Scotch order from 3 bottles to 5 before push back!

Then again, typical British dry humor which is wonderful. In the States, we get attempted comedic relief some of it funny once and some of it funny nonce.

Still the best line I ever heard was a Brit pilot on our UA 727 from Boston to O'Hare circa mid-90s. On final in muck, start to see the city through cloud, getting lower and wham - go around. As we're burning fuel circling over Lake Michigan for about 15 minutes, he finally announces that Air Force One had flown into the area and to maintain mandatory separation the area was cleared. The next line was delivered classically in a wonderful dead-pan Brit accent - "one can only hope that President Clinton decides not to get another haircut".

Dont Hang Up
20th Jan 2016, 07:14
One safety briefing that has lodged permanently in my memory from many many years ago...

"...and there is a whistle here for attracting the attention of passing sailors."

gcal
20th Jan 2016, 07:53
English not her first language and the poor girl did her best and made a mistake.
Much preferable in my opinion than the 'everything is ok' whilst not knowing a thing approach.
It had been a long delay and lightened the atmosphere and at least she can dine out on it for a while.

Trim Stab
20th Jan 2016, 08:49
Why is not the captain making the announcement to inform the passengers of such an operational event? Presumably they will see lots of curious activity going on outside and ned some reassuring.

Some airlines - particularly Lufthansa - cockpit crews spend far too long waffling on in multiple languages introducing themselves and the cabin crew, blabbing on about the altitude they will be flying at, how fast the aeroplane goes, what route they will be taking, whats for dinner etc. One one flight, the evidently infrequent flyer behind said "I wish this captain would just shut up and concentrate on flying the plane!" I couldn't agree more.

Quite possibly captain would have been far too busy sorting out consequences of delayed flight and just delegated the announcement to cabin crew - nothing wrong with that.

I also though that the hostesses wording was just fine - you are going to die if you don't take the ice of the wings. Nothing wrong with saying out loud the truth.

Basil
20th Jan 2016, 10:07
"...and there is a whistle here for attracting the attention of passing sailors."
Hilarious when presented with a camp delivery :D

Methersgate
20th Jan 2016, 10:55
My personal favourite, from a Libyan Arab Republic Airlines internal flight in the days of the late unlamented Colonel Gaddafi:

"We trust you have had a pleasant fright, and will come to fry with us again!"

LlamaFarmer
20th Jan 2016, 10:56
It's more publicity that RYR don't have to pay for... MOL will be pleased no?!

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with what she said or the way she said it, nobody was harmed as a result, it's unlikely she caused undue concern to any passengers either, mostly they just seem surprised.

But she's obviously not English so it may have sounded better in her head before she translated to a second language.

Sounds like the skipper got on the PA pretty quick but of course the video conveniently cuts out that bit.

olympus
20th Jan 2016, 12:35
On the life jacket...
...there is a whistle here for attracting the attention of passing sailors and a light should you wish to read...

BEagle
20th Jan 2016, 12:59
I liked the tale of a Virgin Atlantic chief stewardess (or whatever the current PC term is), who announced that due to a short turn round time, they needed volunteers to assist in tidying up the cabin -and anyone wishing to volunteer could make themselves known to the cabin crew by standing up before the belt signs had been switched off!

It must be so tempting to say "Please pay careful attention to our safety brief as questions will be asked afterwards. Any passenger unable to provide a correct answer may be off-loaded....."

crHedBngr
20th Jan 2016, 16:45
. . . and then there is this:

Before we proceed with safety announcements, the captain has requested that you all stand up and switch seats with your pre-assigned cabin partner, whose location you can determine by subtracting your row number divided by two from the sum of the number of your seat letter with the number of times you’ve flown with us in the past two years plus one times one.

kms901
20th Jan 2016, 18:18
My favourite safety briefing: The lifejacket is fitted with a flashing light, which will be great if we crash into a disco" I use Ryanair a lot, and it is perfectly OK if you treat it as the airborne version of National Express. My only worry is the standard of English amongst the cabin crew, especially in an emergency

Tinribs
20th Jan 2016, 18:46
I was captain on that BMI flight Leeds to somewhere. The steward was an amusing chap who liked to camp it a bit. Most passengers thought he was great, I agreed. He had a marvelous ability to take the mickey out of himself without seeming silly. His male name was easily transferred to a similar female alternative which we all used and he responded with the appropriate level of respect for his captain, S.. O.. Sir.

flydive1
20th Jan 2016, 20:40
My only worry is the standard of English amongst the cabin crew, especially in an emergency

Yes, that might be a problem if you are British;)

Wageslave
20th Jan 2016, 20:56
Yes, that might be a problem if you are British;)
Jesus. Some people really have a problem, don't they?

Perhaps, flydrive, with a little thought it might occur to you - eventually - that poor English is more likely to bamboozle non-native speakers than the British who will probably understand no matter how badly mangled the language. They'll merely be offended or upset to some degree by the mangling of their language while those who struggle to understand good English simply won't understand the mangled variety at all. So don't we, as English speaking aircrew, owe a duty of care to our non-native English speaking pax to ensure we speak good, grammatical English so the poor pax stand a chance of understanding it? To do otherwise is simply unprofessional and may well have serious safety implications too.

Bit of a no brainer, really, isn't it?

flydive1
20th Jan 2016, 21:03
Man, now I have upset you, I'm so sorry.

By the way, looks like your English is not that good if you cannot read my nickname correctly;)

You might be surprised to learn that many passengers do not speak any English and perhaps instructions in their language might help them more.

Maybe we should introduce a language proficiency test for passengers too;)

llondel
20th Jan 2016, 21:17
My only worry is the standard of English amongst the cabin crew, especially in an emergency

Why? If it's an emergency they only need a few phrases. Either they're telling you to sit down and adopt the brace condition or evacuate. No point in telling people not to take their cabin baggage along because that'll be ignored anyway.

Anything else relevant will have been covered in the safety briefing :E

Three Thousand Rule
21st Jan 2016, 21:07
I'm always happy to sit in the cabin of an airliner crewed by people who don't want to die. :ok:

despegue
21st Jan 2016, 22:41
Wageslave,

On the contrary, it are mostly the British who have trouble adapting to other non-native accents. Non-native speakers tend to understand better other non-native speakers.
That is a known fact and I see that daily.

cooperplace
22nd Jan 2016, 06:26
re possible Aussie cabin crew, a friend of mine, Aussie, was a doctor in India, and he'd say to the patient 'you are going home today" and then wonder why they blanched. Eventually he worked out they were hearing 'to die".