View Full Version : Renew Instructor Rating

13th Jan 2016, 18:44
I used to be a QFI many years ago before starting an airline career ( last Instructor flight circa 1997 ). Would I have to do the whole Instructor course again from scratch considering that I'm still flying commercially with a JAA ATPL? I'd be interested in taking it up part time again as long as the renewal cost is sensible but I fear that might not be the case considering the 18 year gap. Advice appreciated. Thanks .... C.

13th Jan 2016, 19:03
FI Seminar and training as required to pass a Profficiency Check. Lots of people return with a few hours revision.

14th Jan 2016, 08:25
chulmleigh - be interested to know why you were thinking of returning?

14th Jan 2016, 09:26
chulmleigh, did you mean 'QFI' (a military-only qualification) or 'FI' - civil flying instructor (as it was then)?

There aren't many credits available for ex-QFIs these days, but to renew a civil flight instructor certificate, do as Whopity suggested.

14th Jan 2016, 12:11
Sorry guys I've been out of it for so many years! I meant ( QFI ) Qualified Flying Instructor ( civilian ) as opposed to Assistant Flying Instructor ( AFI ) as it was known then. I've got quite a lot of free time these days working 2 weeks on / off in Corporate flying so I'm toying with the idea of getting back into it. I wouldn't dream of muscling in on anyone's job but if there was a need for a part time Instructor to fill in any gaps at my local flying club I'd be interested. Just thought I'd try & find out what's involved in getting the rating back. Thanks for your replies .... C.

14th Jan 2016, 12:39
chulmleigh - wasn't for a moment suggesting you would be 'muscling in' on anyone, just genuinely interested, that is all. I think it's good to have a mix of instructors from different backgrounds.

I remember when I was nearing completion of my IR the CFI said to a few of us 'If you're interested in money, join an airline, but if you're interested in flying, instruct...'

8th Feb 2016, 00:02
Hi there,
only think you have to do is to comply with FCL.940.FI of Ec 1178/2011
It means you need to pass the FI/IRI refresher course and than the Assesment of competence with FIE(A).
Should you need help with this, feel free to contact me. I am examiner also.

8th Feb 2016, 08:56
It means you need to pass the FI/IRI refresher course It is a Seminar and there is no exam!

8th Feb 2016, 16:50
of course. It is the seminar and than followed by Assesment of competence (Exam) with FIE(A)

23rd Feb 2016, 09:03
Any FI refresher courses available outside of UK?

snake wow wow
26th Feb 2016, 09:43
Some start soon in Belgium

snake wow wow
29th Feb 2016, 16:55
Two sessions to undergo:
1. FI refresher course
2. Assesment competence flight
My question, can it be done with any properly rated examiner or must she/he have the FII qualification? Thanks!
Should probably be a FIE