PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Permit Aircraft

Lukesdad
12th Jan 2016, 14:37
Gentlemen

I see from my current issue of 'Pilot' magazine that the CAA have changed the requirement to use a 'certified' aircraft for PPL training. I'm sure that allowing owners and their families to train on 'permit' aeroplanes can only encourage more people to access the private flying community.

However, does this also include helicopters? And I'm thinking here of the Rotorway 162F in particular.

johndeblanco
13th Jan 2016, 20:08
From what I understand Lukesdad, this should be possible on the 162f.

New owners or part owners of the Rotorway will also be allowed to train for their PPLh on their own machine and not need to learn on a certified craft and then need to type rate.

Can only be a good thing!

G-WHOO Rotorway 162F

Lukesdad
14th Jan 2016, 12:20
Well, that should boost the Rotorway profile in this country then. In my research, the £20k+ to learn in a helicopter type you probably will never fly again and then get a type rating in your Rotorway seems to defy logic. Provided Type instructors can be found, learning on your own machine must make for safer flying.

carlmeek
15th Jan 2016, 01:27
Does anyone know what the typical instructor rates are, if you supply your own aircraft, in the south of england?

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jan 2016, 08:19
Typically about £45/hr.

G

carlmeek
15th Jan 2016, 12:06
Thanks Gengis,

I did think my previous instructor was having a bit of a giraffe asking for £100!

(I never paid that, I paid a single hourly rate, but he offered that for own heli tuition)

I might just have to build a rotorway once I've finished this RV10!

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jan 2016, 14:08
Expanding - most schools charge around that for instruction, under school auspices, in your own fixed wing aeroplane. The instructor will probably see about £25 of that.

I'd expect helicopter instructing to be more expensive, given how relatively expensive it is to qualify as an instructor - but not more than double.

Personally, when freelancing outside of a school, I prefer to charge a daily than hourly rate - as days are more precious to me than flying hours, and I'd rather encourage students to get the most out of each day they're paying for (and I'm taking off family time and/or the day job).

G