PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GTN 650 Holding pattern

shep777
6th Jan 2016, 17:39
Hi

I was shooting a GPS approach a few days ago and the GTN 650 did a great job of flying to the IAF executing a procedure turn , aliening with the final approach course inbound and completing the approach.

My question is how do you make the gtn stay in the holding pattern for loss of excess altitude, ATC clearance etc ?

The manual indicates that a SUSP button should be pressed to suspend the sequencing of way points. However I have never been able to locate this icon on the touch screen display.

Can anyone shed a little light on this ?

Thanks

blacknight
25th Apr 2016, 04:04
Hi shep777. I have a similar question about holding at any fix. How do you suspend the GTN from progressing to the next leg so you can hold there. The manual is no help at all. Interested to hear if you resolved your issue.

skkm
25th Apr 2016, 07:05
If the 650 operates much like the G1000, OBS may be the button you're looking for.

aterpster
25th Apr 2016, 14:49
I'm not familiar with the 650 or 750 other than they use touch screen technology similar to that used in the G-5000. In the G-5000 there is a touch suspend button in one of the two primary menus.

I don't know about using the OBS mode in a G-1000. Seems that would make the active waypoint like a VOR and, thus, removing the course reversal holding pattern.

There is no substitute for training. :)

aterpster
25th Apr 2016, 17:29
I checked on a GNS 500W trainer. When in a course reversal holding pattern the OBS button indeed changes to the suspend function. I doubt this would be the case on a GTN, though, with its far more robust interface.

mustafagander
26th Apr 2016, 10:44
In the King 89B and Garmin G1000 the OBS suspends waypoint sequencing as well so you have all the waypoints for the approach still there when finally ready/cleared for approach.