PDA

View Full Version : Standby Travel

Mantis toboggan
31st Dec 2015, 15:55
Hi everyone, I've always been curious how different airlines operate when it comes to employee standby travel. My airline is strictly seniority amongst the unionized staff, that includes the pilots, fa's rampies and so on.

I've heard that in Europe a lot of the carriers board based on status; eg; pilots would board ahead of fa's and ramp handlers etc..

I was wondering if anyone who works at a non North American carrier could chime in, namely a non Canadian carrier. I know how they work.

Cheers everyone

parabellum
1st Jan 2016, 01:02
If a Rampie with twenty years service is in competition with a captain with fifteen years service for the one remaining seat in EY then, in most airlines, Date of Joining and not status is the deciding factor of the uplift priority, so the Rampie gets the seat. If the captain holds an upgradable ticket then, subject to availability, he will get an upgrade. If, using the same two individuals, the Rampie also has an upgradable ticket and there is no seat in EY and only one in Business then complications can arise as the captain may well have a higher upgrade priority than the Rampie, it really all depends on the company's staff travel policy.

Staff travel can be a bit like wading in glue, in the ideal world the airline has a strict policy on uplifting and upgrading priorities and the staff understand the policy! ;)