PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to find somewhere to store a Microlight abroad.

parkinson4566
31st Dec 2015, 09:35
Hi folks,
I've been looking, but unable to find information on the difficulty of storing a Microlight aircraft at an airfield abroad for a few days. For example, if I decided I wanted to go for a weekend trip to say... Nantes from the NW of England. How difficult would it be to find somewhere to keep it for a few days? Is this the kind of thing you book days/weeks/months in advance? How does it work with British Aerospace etc?

Basically I've been looking at the possibility of getting a Microlight license and joining a syndicate up in the NW of England and using it for local flying and occasional weekends abroad. I love the idea of booking a trip about 2 weeks or so in advance of going. If this is not possible, I'm not sure it would be worth it for me. So if anyone can give me any idea of how this works, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Dan.

Romeo Tango
31st Dec 2015, 11:41
Easy enough to find an airfield to park at in France. Some will charge you for the privilege but there is sure to be some microlight friendly place that is cheap or free. Usually you don't need to book but ymmv.

Some larger airfields don't like microlights but plenty accept them.

There are complications in taking aircraft without a full certificate of airworthiness abroad but there is usually a way and I think France is extra simple anyway. I'm sure someone else here will be along soon to give chapter and verse.

Don't expect a microlight to be an ultra reliable way of getting to France .... often the weather will be ok - but not every day!

Good luck and welcome to aviation!

parkinson4566
31st Dec 2015, 14:13
Thanks very much for your help.

patowalker
31st Dec 2015, 15:53
Here is chapter and verse: Arrêté du 7 janvier 2015 relatif aux conditions de circulation au-dessus du territoire français des aéronefs ultralégers motorisés européens | Legifrance (http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/arrete/2015/1/7/DEVA1401163A/jo/texte)

In essence, to fly in France, the microlight has to have a valid permit to fly and the pilot has to have a valid licence.

If you have any questions about flying abroad in a microlight, this is where to ask: http://www.wfaec.com

ChickenHouse
1st Jan 2016, 09:00
First you have to find a syndicate and an insurance covering and allowing abroad trips - not all do for microlights, as this is still a national thing. If you do your flight prep correct and checked all the odds and bits of legal cross border microlight flying it is a piece of cake.

But one question came into my mind: did you ever had a training lesson in an aircraft? If you do your license, they will teach you a lot of things and one is --- when weather goes bad, take the train and because all airfields know that, almost every airport will have space to let planes sit there for some days (exceptions are usually mil places). So, is my assumption correct that the OP does not hold a pilots license (yet), or is microlight training so much less?

Jan Olieslagers
1st Jan 2016, 09:23
Hangar availability may vary wildly between countries - here in BE, for example, it is quite hard to get a building permit for a hangar so they are rare, and full. But I think France should be more relaxed in this respect, as in many.

A good source of info on French microlight fields is at
Bases (http://basulm.ffplum.info/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=visualization&id=1&latitude=46.60&longitude=2.9&zoom=6&Itemid=25)

You need some French to consult it, but you better have that anyway if you are going to fly in France!

patowalker
1st Jan 2016, 12:20
When we travel abroad we do not seek hangarage, we simply tie down outside. Never had a problem with security or weather.

It would be difficult to hangar anything from six to 12 visiting aircraft anyway.

chevvron
2nd Jan 2016, 15:27
Cloudbase Aviation at Redhill used to keep a Shadow permanently at an airfield in Spain so try asking them 01737 474118

Piper.Classique
2nd Jan 2016, 16:46
I do try to find hangarage when travelling, unless I am absolutely confident in the weather forecast. Rag wing aircraft are a bit more prone to deterioration if kept outside. It's usually possible in France, harder In the UK.