PDA

View Full Version : Too Stupid To Live

jolly girl
30th Dec 2015, 15:55
Hi
I recently overheard two safety investigators discussing an accident during which they referred to the mishap crew as 'too stupid to live'. Has anyone else heard this term applied in this context? If so, what are your thoughts on its use?
Thanks
Jolly

Geosync
30th Dec 2015, 18:26
I think it is disrespectful and unprofessional. HOWEVER, humans will be humans. I've been on several crash sites and trust me, those who do it for a living become jaded and cynical. When you've been standing in the middle of cow pastures in 20(F) degree temps looking over a debris field where a whole family was wiped out due to pilot error, and see the gore, and the subtle human touches like teddy bears, kid's drawings, you build up walls. My wife is a doctor, and they can be even colder when talking about patients among themselves. Is it right? No. Is it human nature? Yes. I try to be sympathic as possible when dealing with loved ones whos family members have died in an accident, and try to remind others around to be as well, but I understand what goes on at the pub at night, conversing with coworkers. Cops, doctors, crash investigators, firemen, etc. etc..

jolly girl
30th Dec 2015, 23:54
Hi Geocync, Thanks for your input! That said, I do remember from early in my investigator training (perhaps from an Australian?) to avoid labeling a pilot 'stupid' because no one thinks they are stupid and therefore won't recognize the same potential for mishap in themselves. (aka 'distancing through differencing') So I was surprised to hear these two esteemed (at least until that moment) colleagues use that term in a professional setting. I'd be curious whether anyone else had heard this or similar phraseology.
Jolly