PDA

View Full Version : A320 incorrect RAT selection

jascha
29th Dec 2015, 11:18
Hi,

If one of the ECAM actions on a hydraulic fault, were to manually extend the RAT, what would happen if the RAT on the EMER ELEC PWR panel was accidentally pushed?

Thanks.

Goldenrivett
29th Dec 2015, 17:42
RAT on the EMER ELEC PWR panel was accidentally pushed?
The RAT would generate both Blue Hydraulic Pressure & run the Emergency Generator.

Not fatal in this case, but you have to ask yourself if ECAM asked for the No 1 Engine Master Switch Off and you selected the No 2 instead ....?

Uplinker
30th Dec 2015, 09:54
There is no need to hurry to switch anything on or off in a modern airliner.

It might feel Mickey Mouse to some, but
-decide what you need to do,
-identify the correct panel,
-identify the correct switch,
-confirm with the other pilot if the switch is guarded or if whatever it is cannot be switched back on in flight (e.g. an IRS)
-operate the switch.

Doing all that will take about 3-5 seconds, rather than about 1 second to stab at the wrong switch. Accuracy and operating the correct control is the overriding consideration.

I have been known to turn the speed knob instead of the heading knob (doh), so I now try to slow down and be more methodical - speed of operation is secondary.

No Fly Zone
30th Dec 2015, 12:13
Sir: I think you nailed it! I too have twisted the wrong knob a few times and then had to make hurried corrections. It happens. These days, more often than not, I use minor Manual adjustments for course, alt and speed, and then re-engage the auto toys. It is not kosher, but I like to see the rough results in place before I engage the automatics again.
Some FO's are horrified that I do not 'trust' the automagics, but after I explain a few prior errors, most get it. In another 7-8 months, I won't care, as I'm close to the absolute time-out. Again, sir, I think you nailed it.:D

Amadis of Gaul
30th Dec 2015, 13:10
Twisting the wrong knob has caused much trouble throughout history.

Uplinker
31st Dec 2015, 12:23
Thank you, that is very kind.

I hope you have a great retirement - you lucky devil ! - I have still got years to go.......

Goldenrivett
31st Dec 2015, 14:28
Hi No Fly Zone,
I use minor Manual adjustments for course, alt and speed, and then re-engage the auto toys.
I have never seen anyone treating the automatics like that before. The designers must be tearing their hair out.
Some FO's are horrified I'm not surprised.

Why not simply change the heading / speed / Alt selector by only one click initially until you've checked it was the correct knob by looking at your PFD?

Uplinker
3rd Jan 2016, 11:13
Gotta say, I agree with Goldenrivett. Why keep taking the AP out simply to make minor adjustments?

Unless you are talking about using CWS?