PDA

View Full Version : Typical cockpit dynamic during long transits

Sean7432
28th Dec 2015, 18:49
Hey all,

I'm wondering what the typical day-to-day cockpit interaction is like for airline pilots? Is small talk routine? Or does it feel so much like Groundhog Day that pilots don't even bother getting into personal details with eachother?

I understand that reading/games are supposedly "discouraged" by some carriers, but how do pilots kill the time during long monotonous transits? I ask because I'm sort of an introvert and long bouts of small talk burn me out and I'd rather go for a book than 2 hours shooting the breeze with a stranger. Are there so many cockpit tasks that it's possible to do a 2 hr transit without having to awkwardly spark conversation?

Bizarre question I know, but I've always been curious and would like to know what it's like before investing in an airline career. Thanks all!

Intruder
29th Dec 2015, 00:05
The FAA (FAR 121.542) now prohibits personal use of electronic devices in the cockpit, so you have to find another diversion.

Depending on the crew pairing, there may be a lot of, or little, conversation. Books, magazines, newspapers, crosswords, Sudoku, etc fill in the rest.

Denti
29th Dec 2015, 03:33
No need to use a "personal" electronic device, the company provided iPad is quite enough, after all we can load other apps than the company provided ones on it anyway. Kindle, newspapers etc are common stuff. And above 1000ft we don't even need to have it in its RAM mount, simply using it on the table is better for the normal instrument scan while reading. And from time to time one has to switch to the OFP and/or the maps anyway.

That said, in my opinion the best days are those where you do not have time to read much as there is enough conversation during the day. Being a union rep usually gives enough topics to get it going, but even better is non-company stuff. Some days are just slow though.

TrailBoss
29th Dec 2015, 04:37
How times have changed. In my day it was Sex, salary & superannuation. Not necessarily in that order…

Denti
29th Dec 2015, 07:20
It usually still is, well, depending on crew composition of course, but surprisingly the most salty conversation can be had with a female colleague on the flightdeck :eek:

aterpster
29th Dec 2015, 13:17
In yesteryear the boys talked about women while en route, and about airplanes while in the bar on layover.

Intruder
29th Dec 2015, 22:04
No need to use a "personal" electronic device, the company provided iPad is quite enough, after all we can load other apps than the company provided ones on it anyway.
Personal use of a company iPad is also prohibited. FAA InFO 14006 explains:
Background: Part 121 § 121.542 (d) (effective 4/14/14) prohibits flightcrew members from using a personal wireless communications device or laptop computer for personal use while at their duty station on the flight deck while the aircraft is being operated, unless it is in accordance with FAA approved operational procedures. This prohibition is intended to ensure that non-essential activities do not affect flight deck task management or cause a loss of situational awareness during aircraft operation.

Discussion: Operators should be aware of the following:

• This prohibition includes any personal use by flightcrew members of these devices, including, but not limited to, talking, texting, bidding for schedules, reading or accessing the Internet. In other words, all personal use is prohibited, whether or not the device is in “airplane mode”.

• “FAA approved operational procedures” (e.g., use of electronic flight bags, digitized charts or manuals) are those procedures that have been developed by the air carrier and have been approved/accepted, as appropriate, by the FAA.

• This prohibition does not apply to a person occupying a flight deck jumpseat.

• The prohibition applies regardless of any “ownership” test. The rule does not differentiate between devices owned by the air carrier or the flightcrew member. Rather, the rule requires a “use” test. These devices (regardless of ownership) may not be used for personal use during aircraft operation but may be used only in accordance with FAA approved operational procedures, as defined above.

Wageslave
29th Dec 2015, 22:53
In yesteryear the boys talked about women while en route, and about airplanes while in the bar on layover.

Sadly nowadays the boys no longer seem interested in talking about women (apparently it is considered oafish and all sorts of odd "ists" and "isms" are implied if you try. Me, I wonder what sort of "boys" some of them are.)

Few seem to know anything about aeroplanes either. A P51 is some kind of computer apparently, and anyway, history is "boring".

Do they have no souls? Just debts, a photographic recall of the bloody manuals and not a jot of common sense or airmanship?

Oh God no! I said That Word! Now I really am in Trouble!

pudoc
30th Dec 2015, 17:24
Intruder must be great company on a long day out.

B737900er
31st Dec 2015, 16:54
Thats happens when the company hire pilots straight out one of those cadet factories. No souls, just SOP robots.

I can recall flying with a captain who asked me if I came from CXC or CXE (uk schools) which I said no, I went the modular route, and this was my second job flying. The delight on his face was a kodak moment, and he said "thank god, I'm not flying with an SOP robot...".

Intruder
31st Dec 2015, 18:24
Yeah, the Navy was only a 20-year "cadet factory"...

SOPs are one thing; federal regulations are another. While an FAA inspector riding in the cockpit may not know all a company's SOPs, he WILL know the regulations. You may be surprised at the number of FOs I've flown with over the past year who didn't realize the FAR even existed!

Even worse, I've had a couple FOs pull out their iPhones to read or write a text message while taxiing. THAT is just over-the-top WRONG and DANGEROUS!

Denti
31st Dec 2015, 19:43
Thank god then that the FAA is not responsible for us ;)

To be honest, pilots will read, it doesn't matter if they use PEDs or old fashioned paper. I rather have them use the already used and correctly stowed PED than blocking all screens and windows with their huge papers. And better they keep themselves awake with some light brain teasers instead of falling asleep out of pure boredom.