PDA

View Full Version : Advice on X-Countries in the UK

spils
21st Jun 2002, 10:06
I have recently passed my PPL(A) out in the States and joined my local flying club in the UK. I got throgh the check ride ok, but feel a little nervous about setting out on a solo x-c.
What advice would you offer for someone in my situation - with approx 65 hours logged and 45 of those being in sunny FL?
My personal opinion is that I should do a couple of dual x-c's with some other more experienced PPL's who know the area before setting off on my own. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Biker Pilot
21st Jun 2002, 10:44
Firstly, congratulations on passing!

Yes, I would certainly recommend teaming up with one or two others to go for a couple of flights around your local area. If you can arrange these to include a variety of airspace, airfield types, etc, so much the better.

You will probably find there are several people at your local club who would be only too willing to team up as the problems of running out of passengers who can go on trips affects many PPLs.

You may be able to get in touch with some people by asking the instructors at your club or putting a notice on their info board. If you specify which club it is, you may even find there are members who read this forum who will be happy to oblige...

If not, then book slots with an instructor until you feel more confident. Ask them to point out the tricks of spotting local landmarks and various ways of approaching your airfield, etc.

BP

Hersham Boy
21st Jun 2002, 11:37
I'd certainly agree with your thoughts... I dare say some other PPL/trainee PPLs who know the area would be more than happy to share a jolly with you... I'm based at Redhill and it seems quite a few of the experienced pilots certainly don't mind taking less experienced brethren along when they go places (sharing costs, of course!). No reason why it shouldn't work the other way round.

Hersh

Aussie Andy
21st Jun 2002, 12:30
spils: I reckon every new PPL should have a flying buddy (right 1013.5 :)) - whether they learned in UK or US. It just makes so much sense to fly with someone else at a similar level as you can learn from each other (good stuff and mistakes!) and halve the workload in what might otherwise be difficult or daunting conditions in the early stages. A wonderful morale and confidence booster, and a great way to make friends. Besides, you'll find that friends and family don't find destinations that are "just another airfield" as interesting as your fellow fresh-PPL'er will!

Having learned and mostly flown in the UK, and only managed half a dozen hours in each of the USA and France/Spain, I would imagine the specific points you will find you need to adjust to will be:
Weather - more changeable. Get an instructor to refresh you on precautionary landings, low-level circuits, and low-level nav.
Airspace: more of it in the way at low levels, and some Class A all the way down to the surface (not just down to 18,000' as in the US! Not as daunting as it looks on the map, but I would imagine if unfamiliar it might be. These fears will soon be dispelled once you become accustomed to things around here, and will be where you get most benefit from teaming up with a UK-trained PPL.
R/T - the differences are not immense, but may be a bit bewildering. Not just phraseology (i.e. we use QFE, yanks don't - nor do French and many others...), but also what units (e.g. LARS) are available, and what service you are likely to get.
Circuit joining procedures: we don't do 45 degree d/w joins that are common in the US. Be familiar with what a so-called "standard" overhead join is here (get an instructor if need be), and then understand that its different at almost every airfield in the country :) But the basic system is still important to fully understand in practice (not just from a book), and I think make sense anyway.
I would recommend a useful exercise to do ASAP would be to pick three or four "local" airfields closest to your home airfield, within say 30~50NM, and then spend an afternoon flying to and landing at each. This will make you more comfortable and less hesitant in case you one day need to divert to one of these due to poor wx or some other reason on a return trip to home-base one day (it happens!).

Then set yourself (and your new found flying friend) some dual cross-country expedition exercises that can provide experience of a variety of problems. For instance, I'd recommend a day-trip aruond the London TMA, which would include some "squeezy bits" of airspace. E.g. from wherever you are (was it Popham?) to say Blackbushe, then Wycombe, then say Southend, then around to Biggin Hill, then back via Farnborough. Land at a few of these to make it more interesting, and to stock up on food/drink and empty bladders etc!

I'm sure you can imagine some variations on this theme. Once you've done two or thre exercises like this, I guarantee you'll feel more comfortable, and will be much more safe and familiar with the environment you're in. Again, I'd recommend this process to any new PPL.

Hope this is of use,

Andy

spils
21st Jun 2002, 14:36
Thanks all.

Aussie Andy - that does make a lot of sense and sounds like a good idea.

I'll be off to find my map and that spinney thing I got when I started flying!!

englishal
21st Jun 2002, 14:39
Just a side note to AA, in the UK as I'm sure you know Class A is the equivilent of USA class B, which you cannot enter with out a specific class bravo clearance (unless there is a VFR corridor in operation). Same applies here.

The Channel Islands are a good day out, you'll need to file a flight plan, and fax Special Branch, but its a good experience. You'll find that once you near Jersey zone it'll be just like flying in the USA with VFR flight following. Jersey was £9 landing last time I went and Alderney gives you a discount if you take on fuel, and I think it works out at about £6ish...plus you can get the duty frees and claim back the tax on the fuel bought in the UK. (Not to mention the good curry house on Alderney)

Cheers
EA