PDA

View Full Version : Pay per hour insurance in uk?

p1lambo
16th Dec 2015, 13:01
Hi all,
Anyone know if any companies or brokers that offer pay per hour hull insurance?
Getting bored of paying over 600 for hull insurance when I'm hardly doing any hours...
Thx

chevvron
16th Dec 2015, 13:36
Hi all,
Anyone know if any companies or brokers that offer pay per hour hull insurance?
Getting bored of paying over 600 for hull insurance when I'm hardly doing any hours...
Thx
Yeah then your aircraft is damaged while parked and unattended and you haven't got 'ground risks' insurance, who's gonna pay?

9 lives
16th Dec 2015, 13:53
I have done this sort of thing when having to make a "one time" flight, in an otherwise uninsured plane, but it is very much more costly than that same insurance would have been bu the hour, had the plane been "normally" insured for the year.

If your annual policy per hour insurance cost is too high, that is easily remedied by flying more. Or, take the hull insurance off the plane entirely. I flew mine for years with no hull insurance, until the annual premium offer became silly low cost, so I could not say no. I've done training for two owners this year who chose no hull insurance, and simply take the risk themselves.

Insurance companies know their market, and they also have a "minimum critical mass" to be worth the effort to insure a plane at all. Below a certain amount, it's just not worth printing the policy document, let alone actually considering paying a claim one day.

ChickenHouse
16th Dec 2015, 14:29
My experience from occasional ferry flights and per hour insurances let me lean against a positive attitude ... last time the insurance for one day was equal to a quarters pay, so 4 days would have been an annual fee.

The Ancient Geek
16th Dec 2015, 16:35
Look at it from the insurers point of view.
Only a small portion of what you pay goes into the variable risk pot that will be paid out to someone.
Most of the cost of a policy goes into setting up and ending a policy, administration, brokers fees and other oveheads. This is a fixed cost regardless of how long the policy lasts.

Bob Bevan
18th Dec 2015, 15:06
Whilst it is fair to say that for many traditional insurance operation a fair proportion of the premium goes towards the cost of sale and admin, the majority of the premium goes to cover the risk.

Bob