10th Dec 2015, 04:16
Looks like I'll have to leave the Landy parked up and take the Maule

https://www.facebook.com/ivaldi.nascimento/videos/2167128473282/

cessnapete
10th Dec 2015, 10:38
Brilliant!!

dont overfil
10th Dec 2015, 13:41
I'm leaving home at 03.15 tomorrow to get there by 05.30 I would have organised Donald with the R44 but for the £200 landing fee!

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2015, 15:55
What's Hogmanay? Some Hindu or Maya feast dish? A dark suburb of Budapest or Arkhangelsk?

What's EDI? To me it always meant Electronic Data Interchange but I seem to be missing something here.

dont overfil
10th Dec 2015, 16:31
What's Hogmanay? Some Hindu or Maya feast dish? A dark suburb of Budapest or Arkhangelsk?

What's EDI? To me it always meant Electronic Data Interchange but I seem to be missing something here.

EDI is Edinburgh Airport, previously Edinburgh Turnhouse in the good old days. Now it's an expensive shopping centre with expensive car parking and ludicrously expensive aircraft parking. Used to have four runways now has one. Thats progress (not). Cars parked on two and aircraft parked on the other. Rabbits occupy the vast areas of grass where there used to be gliders.

Hogmanay is one of the regular excuses us Scots have to get pissed so that we can forget the rotten weather and inacessable airports. Everyone gets up to dance and sing along to Auld Lang Syne (don't ask) between gulping alcohol eating black bun and boaking it up again.

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2015, 17:14
Thanks, DO. Some of that had been imagined... like a suburb of Edinborough CAN be as dark as any. And, no, I'll not ask about that song, been there done that, in various degrees of (in)sobriety... just like the other one about them bonny bonny banks.
But among aviators, I think you'll agree there's better pointers to Turnhouse than the IATA code.

xrayalpha
10th Dec 2015, 19:58
DO,

"Now it's an expensive shopping centre with expensive car parking and ludicrously expensive aircraft parking."

How could you have forgotten to mention the just slightly less inexpensive tram?

India Four Two
10th Dec 2015, 20:43
Now that we've clarified the meaning of EDI and Hogmanay, back to the video.

pb84, was that a recording of your Maule training? 😀

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2015, 22:24
Looks like I'll have to leave the Landy parked up and take the Maule

https://www.facebook.com/ivaldi.nascimento/videos/2167128473282/

Canonball Run, 1981, I do believe?

Me? I'd take the train, then I could drink as much as I wanted.

G

piperboy84
11th Dec 2015, 07:18
I probably will take the train, but I've often wondered what tourists think about the train service that serves our little piece of heaven. In particular those holiday makers attempting to catch a flight home from Edinburgh after visiting Dundee, Aberdeen , Inverness the Highlands and Islands or pretty much anywhere north of the central belt, an area that consists the bulk of the country. Their East Coast train journey will involve numerous stops at every little one horse town in the Kingdom of Fife that nobody has ever heard of nor uses to finally taking in the beauty of crossing the Forth on a bridge that runs parallel to the now closed road bridge then shortly thereafter coming within sight of the airport. Their proximity to the westerly runway threshold allows for a close inspection of the major components of the ILS, the taxiways, runway markers, terminal building, the short term parking and depending on gate assignment they can see the actual aircraft they will eventually be departing on. At this point they have a choice, they can attempt to jump from the train into the hay field next to the threshold in a manner similar to that used by Donald Pleasance and James Garner in The Great Escape i.e. throw luggage first then jump from the moving train followed by quickly rolling behind a hay bale so the train driver or conductor does not notice, or suffer the expense and time of at least another hours worth of train then taxi or bus or tram journey to get back to the point they are currently at, as the main train line does not have a stop or station at the main airport. I sincerely hope the transport planner who thought this one out was pole axed, it would be thoroughly deserved.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2015, 07:30
M'self, when I'm visiting either Edinburgh or Aberdeen, I fly into Dundee - then take that slow but quite delightful railway line into the applicable city centre. Alternately I take the sleeper from London or Watford - to the Edinburgh or Aberdeen city centre.

There are numerous reasons to use neither major airport.

G

Dairyground
11th Dec 2015, 12:51
Cumbernauld could be another possibility. Surface transport from there would probably need to be a taxi to Larbert or Falkirk and then a train into Edinburgh. If you wanted to drive all the way, then it is on the right side of the Forth.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2015, 13:40
No IAP at Cumbernauld.

G

maxred
11th Dec 2015, 18:47
Alternately I take the sleeper from London or Watford - to the Edinburgh or Aberdeen city centre.
y

One of the greatest misnomers. I remember the lottery of sharing with a total stranger. I could not believe it. The guy who showed up was a cross between Sutcliffe and Reggie. Did not sleep much.

The other great mystery was that you set off from Glasgow Central, only to get to a side junction just abeam Carstairs, park up for about three hours, with the crash, bang of shunting carriages. Truly dreadful....has it improved any?

Crash one
11th Dec 2015, 18:59
Most track maintenance is done at night, as a result you get shunted from east to west and back round it, which is why it takes so long. Did it once, never again!
The Maule into Princes street sounds a good plan.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2015, 20:13
Never had much problem myself - you can pay a supplement to have a cabin to yourself mind you, which I normally do if I can.

G

quilmes
11th Dec 2015, 22:30
Know exactly what you mean about missed opportunity for easy access to Edinburgh Airport. Should've been a station at Turnhouse from the 60s like Teeside Airport had.
However, bodge job coming along now;
What's happening? - Gogar rail interchange - Network Rail (http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/11969.aspx)

(nb. curious to know which 100 cyclists are going to take on the roadworks at the Gogar & Maybury Rd roundabouts to get to their special shelter at the new interchange hub).

Reading this - looks like they've got three weeks to finish & open it.

piperboy84
11th Dec 2015, 23:49
Still don't get it, why insist on people having to humph there luggage off the train and onto a tram then off again at the airport regardless if the train/tram switchover is at Gogar roundabout the Gyle center or wherever. They need to cut to the chase and stop the damned train next the airport and build a walkway from there to the terminal, and if they are so concerned about what cyclists are going to be doing, get the bastards yoked up in pedicabs to haul those of us that are to lazy to walk to the terminal.

DeltaV
12th Dec 2015, 05:56
Know exactly what you mean about missed opportunity for easy access to Edinburgh Airport. Should've been a station at Turnhouse from the 60s like Teeside Airport had.
Talking about Scottish airports Edinburgh isn't the only one. Glasgow has no rail link. Aberdeen has a train station at Dyce, but it's on the opposite side of the airport to the terminal, so a taxi ride. And Inverness could have had one if they'd used a bit of common sense a few yeas ago when they built their new terminal, on the south side of the airport, where they relocated the tower and right beside the railway line and the A96 road. Joined up transport policy? What's that?

Prestwick is the only one I believe with a useable train stop.

dont overfil
12th Dec 2015, 10:27
No rail station near me. Due to Forth Bridge calamity we had to leave too early to use any kind of public transport to the airport.
However all is sweetness and light now that I'm at my final destination. Not a cloud in the sky and 25 degrees. Bliss.
I'll not be going to Edinburgh for Hogmanay!

piperboy84
12th Dec 2015, 20:14
However all is sweetness and light now that I'm at my final destination. Not a cloud in the sky and 25 degrees. Bliss.

Jeez Pete, I bet Butlins staff and guests alike are pleasantly surprised you're getting that kind of weather in Ayr at this time of year.

N-Jacko
19th Dec 2015, 10:10
PB, I think we're missing a trick:

0SLZHLq4o2o

Of course being so conveniently close to the Lake District my Maule doesn't need to use a car wash, but since it lives in a tractor shed:
1. Register with DVLC as "agricultural engine"
2. Add to existing tractor insurance policy
3. Collect free tax disc from post office
4. Take Mrs J shopping, pulling full flap so as to observe speed limit on Princes Street...

piperboy84
19th Dec 2015, 12:27
NJ: Was flying over Glenshee the other day, couldn't help but the notice the ski center parking set up. It appeared to be about 1000 foot long by 60 wide, unusual layout for a "car park" don't you think ?

N-Jacko
19th Dec 2015, 16:51
Funny you should mention that. The UK Met Office is forecasting plenty of warm weather, which obviously set me thinking about a set of Rosti-Fernandez skis. They're on the Husky's TC, but would have to be field-approved for an MX-7. I've gone and lost the details of your IA, would you mind shooting me a p.m.?

Amblikai
22nd Dec 2015, 14:21
No IAP at Cumbernauld.

G

Cumbernauld could be another possibility. Surface transport from there would probably need to be a taxi to Larbert or Falkirk and then a train into Edinburgh. If you wanted to drive all the way, then it is on the right side of the Forth.

Dairyground, even easier than that, Croy station is 5 mins from Cumbernauld and is one of the main park and ride stations on the Glasgow - Edinburgh line.

Genghis, i wonder, what's the feasibility of using EDI ILS as a letdown, following the Firth of Forth to the Kincardine bridge and hopping over to Cumbernauld?

How much would you get charged by Edinburgh for using their ILS?

KayKay
23rd Dec 2015, 15:51
Further to PB84's post#10 -

A rail link to Edinburgh Airport (and Glasgow) was planned a few years ago. It got as far as letting the design contract in 2007. It would have been opened in 2011 but it was cancelled by a new government a few months later on the grounds of cost. Glasgow airport rail link also fell by the wayside. Evidently Scottish Gov. couldn’t afford these two rail links as well as the Edinburgh tram project. They decided to go ahead with the trams in spite of the fact that Edinburgh has an excellent bus service. How mad is that ?
Is my memory playing tricks or was there a small platform serving RAF Turnhouse up to the early 1960s ? The line runs past the old RAF accommodation site.

piperboy84
5th Jun 2016, 08:53
Reminded of this old thread as I sit in the Waverley station after getting off a bus from the airport, about to get on a train to go back out past the airport AGAIN, while lugging a duffel bag and 2 30lbs Alaska BushWheels, feeling like a geriatric Sherpa

Small Rodent Driver
5th Jun 2016, 09:12
Reminded of this old threat as I sit in the Waverley station after getting off a bus from the airport, about to get on a train to go back out past the airport AGAIN, while lugging a duffel bag and 2 30lbs Alaska BushWheels, feeling like a geriatric Sherpa

Had I still been on the project at Kirriemuir, I would have sent one of the guys to pick you up and drop you home.

Bit toooo far out of the way from my current job I'm afraid. SRD

dont overfil
5th Jun 2016, 09:20
At least you are getting some value from your bus pass.