PDA

View Full Version : Problem with JPI EDM-800 fuel information

YPJT
3rd Dec 2015, 06:32
After a recent 100 hourly, the EDM -800 has stopped providing fuel quantity and fuel flow info. Basically I cannot get it to accept that the tanks are full and consequently no fuel remaining or fuel flow information is available.

An electrician who looked at it today was stumped and mentioned something about a transducer at the carburettor could be the issue.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with these units?

9 lives
3rd Dec 2015, 12:36
Yes!!! Serious problems with an EDM930, which for more than two years are unresolved, and greatly reduce my confidence in the unit.

The fuel quantity indicators of the new EDM930 were set up with brand new senders, in brand new tanks, in the 182, using exactly the factory procedure - twice. I ran the plane both times.

Since then, the indicated quantity is often (but not always) in error by as much as 3/8 of the tank quantity. This resulted once in my landing back home with 17 liters total, which it indicated just less than half tanks - very alarming!

The fuel flow and total used seem to be accurate.

The indicator of this impending error is that the sum of the fuel used (from the fuel flow) and the fuel remaining exceeds the total quantity available. I have seen the EDM930 indicating a sum of fuel used and two tanks quantity available as being more than 120 liters more than the capacity of the tanks.

I have contacted JPI but no resolution yet....

Use these instruments in a combination with tank dipping, and reference to flight time!

horizon flyer
3rd Dec 2015, 21:01
May be there is flow break up before the sensor causing it to under read.
Perhaps the fuel pipe has bends and fittings to close upstream to the sensor.
Does the fitting instruction specify anything about distance from or at least a straight pipe length before the sensor.