PDA

View Full Version : Which de-icer?

marioair
22nd Nov 2015, 19:29
So with the cold snap I'm sure it's time for the annual question on de-icing.

I'm usually happy just leaving the sun to do its magic but if I want to use product, what should I use (airframe only).

A 5l bottle of TKS 1 fluid costs about £45 and it states it can be used for ground based use as well. I think these are glycol based and hence a bit less viscous for in flight use - which having a non FIKI piper doesn't really matter for me.

So what's stopping me from using generic automotive de-icer? These seem to be ethanol/methanol based. Does this damage the airframe?

MrAverage
24th Nov 2015, 10:50
If you don't use it that often the minimal extra cost could be worth the peace of mind...........

RatherBeFlying
24th Nov 2015, 16:02
The aviation stuff has holdover time in the spec. Departing Chicago one snowing afternoon, we got the fluid applied at the gate, then joined the conga line to the departure end. Considerable snow accumulated on the wings.

On takeoff the whole mess slid off like a blanket.

If you are flying in such conditions, you want that stuff:ok:

The more common scenario is frost on a nice day with no precip. Automotive windshield washer fluid will do the job. Just remember that all residue must be removed. Now that you have a perfectly clean wing it will fly.

Laboriously scraping frost between the rivet lines takes a looong time and will likely leave you with a subpar wing and a low level tour of the surrounding area until you get some more airspeed :uhoh:

OpenCirrus619
25th Nov 2015, 11:41
You need to be careful using the thickened de-icing fluid on light aircraft:
Type II fluids are pseudoplastic, which means they contain a polymeric thickening agent to prevent their immediate flow off aircraft surfaces. Typically the fluid film will remain in place until the aircraft attains 100 knots or so (almost 200 km/h), at which point the viscosity breaks down due to shear stress. The high speeds required for viscosity breakdown means that this type of fluid is useful only for larger aircraft.

Put this on a C150 / PA38 and it can spoil your day.

OC619