PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a headset

Ian_Wannabe
19th Jun 2002, 21:50
Hey there,
Being a newbie I was just wondering what to look for in a headset and what to keep clear of.
I'll be buying in the USA so prices will be cheaper than the UK (I imagine) so the price range I'm going for is kinda in the middle.. not too cheap but not too expensive.

Thanks,

Ian

BRL
19th Jun 2002, 21:59
Ian. Try doing a search for 'Headset'. I just done it and got 6 good threads about them.

BEagle
19th Jun 2002, 22:33
Just look for the words 'David Clark 13.4' on the box!

Not sure that they're that much cheaper in the US. Especially when you consider the duty and VAT you''ll have to pay when bringing your headset back to the UK.....

Jhieminga
20th Jun 2002, 03:23
You can find the 13.4 in the USA from $265 ex tax, but you'll have to look for them. Shops are not allowed to advertise lower than the Minimum Advertisement Price set by DC which is around $290, but look for discounts or 'hot deals' on the websites. One of the cheapest shops I've been able to find around FL is www.tropicaero.com, if you fill in an email adress they'll send you a message with the discount price of the article.

The best thing to do is to go to a shop with lots of headsets and try them on. Comfort is the first thing to look for. If you're willing to go for something else than David Clark, a suggestion from me is to have a look at the Softcomm C-90 (www.softcommheadsets.com). It's a David Clark style headset, but it sells around $300 WITH active noise reduction (something you'll have to pay $600 for if you want a DC!).

Evo7
20th Jun 2002, 06:39
BEagle is right - DC10-13.4s are excellent. Haven't used a headset that I'd swap mine for, although DC10-40s are good too :)

Something worth thinking about is to look around for a second hand set - either here or in the USA. DCs are almost bombproof, but even if something does go wrong spare parts are easy to come by. Will save you a bit of money....

Who has control?
20th Jun 2002, 11:40
At the risk of being flippant, the first thing I would look for in my headset would be .....a wasp! :) :)

Not only will it drown the R/T, but it can really hurt too!

I bought some cotton ear-piece covers for my DCs, not only for hygiene, but also after I left them on the front coaming for half an hour in the sun......:(

Seriously, I bought DC 10-13.4s and I'm very happy with them, I also got them serviced under warranty too.

AerBabe
20th Jun 2002, 15:42
I was thinking along the same lines WHC :D

Yup, another DC 13.4 owner who wouldn't swap for anything :) Tried a few on for fit and comfort in the Transair shop, and nothing came close - very important when you can be wearing them for hours at a time.
Ebay sometimes has second hand ones come up. Good idea if you're short on money. I bought mine new though. And I'm a poor student ;)

slim_slag
20th Jun 2002, 15:52
You can find the 13.4 in the USA from $265 ex tax, but you'll have to look for them.

Marv Golden (http://www.marvgolden.com) has these headsets for around that price. He is based at MYF just outside San Diego and will take care of you if you have a problem (or not!).

The way the system works out in the US is that all prices are quoted PRE TAX! The price you see is not the price you pay, you have to add (usually) 8% on top. This is only payable if you purchase the product yourself in the shop or you live in the state where the shop is located (that's a bit of a simplification but for a non US resident it holds true).

So - you can either buy the headset in California, and pay 8%, or have it sent to you in another state (pay postage but no tax). You should work out the numbers yourself, and also remember it's nice to try them on first. You could always do that in a UK shop, decide which ones you like, and not buy them - but some might say that is acting in bad faith :) I always buy this sort of stuff from "out of state" via a free phone number or web site. So if you are flying in FL, just buy from a CA shop. If you are flying in CA, buy from a FL shop.

BEagle is correct in that you should declare them on return to the UK and pay VAT, but those long haul flights confuse the heck out of me and I can never seem to find a customs officer when I want one :D

Clear as mud??

QDMQDMQDM
20th Jun 2002, 15:57
If you can afford it, I'd definitely go for an active noise cancelling headset. I use a PA 17-79DNC in a Super Cub and admittedly that's a noisy cockpit but it makes a huge difference. The active noise cancelling filters out the low-pitched thrumming which is so fatiguing after a while.

David

Evo7
20th Jun 2002, 16:04
I got mine from an occasional PPRuNer on www.thehangar.co.uk - they're quite often advertised on there. They're working perfectly btw, if you're reading... :)

WHC I've also put them on after leaving them in the sun - a mistake you make once. Ouch! :eek: :)

AerBabe
20th Jun 2002, 16:27
I hang mine on the sticky out bit that comes out of the back of the yoke. Or I tuck them in the foot well. So never had burnt ear syndrome :)

VORTIME
20th Jun 2002, 19:27
I don't see the advantage of David Clark. I got two headseats on trial. One David Clark ANR and a Pilot 79 ANR. David Clark are heavy, out-dated and not half as comfortable as the Pilot set. The ANR is activated by a simple button on the headset with mobile phone technology (50hr battery life - no external pack).

Furthermore, they were much cheaper. However, somebody can't be seen in a car unless it says Mercedes or non designer wear clothes...

Evo7
20th Jun 2002, 21:09
Furthermore, they were much cheaper. However, somebody can't be seen in a car unless it says Mercedes or non designer wear clothes...

Huh?

David Clarkes aren't the Mercedes of the headset world - more like the Focus, Golf or Vectra. They're solid, reliable and better than some, but the Mercedes set are wearing noise-cancelling Sennheisers, not DCs - they're far too common, dahling :)

People have different preferences, sure. However, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about David Clarkes - not once. There are a lot of these threads, too.... ;)

VORTIME
20th Jun 2002, 21:13
you just have :) I hate the weight of the additional MASSIVE battery pack!

Keef
21st Jun 2002, 00:12
David Clarke 13.4s are excellent - I've had mine for yonks and would never change. I've got a couple of other headsets: they are now for pax!

I had Richard Holder convert the 13.4s to ANR, and that was a great improvement, too. HIghly recommended.

As supplied, they have the "foam" earseals fitted that make them weigh 13.4 ounces. Take those OFF and fit the gel seals - makes them heavier, but a lot more pleasant to wear for a long time.

They coexist happily with most other brands, but you may find sometimes that someone in the aircraft can't be heard or can't hear. Impedance mismatch: you just have to live with it.

Reliability is fine. Just watch the little microphone windshield, and the pad at the centre of the headband. Both mine dropped off and got lost - things aren't so good without them, and the price of a spare is ridiculous (the head-pad is something like £40).

Who has control?
21st Jun 2002, 07:47
If you have a pair of headset, try to get them serviced together. That way, they can be tuned as a matched pair.

I bought one set second hand & could never understand why the intercom was so faint when I carried pax. I thought it was the ancient radio, but it turned out that the second hand pair's mic had 'gone down' and was affecting the intercom system.

redsnail
21st Jun 2002, 16:07
I've had a pair of David Clark 10-20's for about 15 years. Tough, strong, dependable and reliable. They are field repairable and that is a very useful feature. Not that I have had to do so of course. I have dropped them, kicked them and generally given a pretty solid going over in the hot climate in northern Australia. I wouldn't trust any thing else. My hearing is essential to my job.
For even more noise protection in some of the noisier aircraft, I just simply used either half or a whole ear plug. No batteries to fiddle with or something else to fail.
Replace the original ear pieces with gel seals and use a cloth cover too.
They are popular for a very very good reason. They work.

Ian_Wannabe
22nd Jun 2002, 18:32
Hey again,
Thanks for the replies every1. Can anyone tell me any more about buying in the USA, tax and VAT wise?

Cheers,

Ian

slim_slag
22nd Jun 2002, 19:51
Can anyone tell me any more about buying in the USA, tax and VAT wise?

What was unclear about my earlier post? What specifically do you want to know??