PDA

View Full Version : Another Q/XC story

iainpoll
19th Jun 2002, 20:54
Following on from Hersham Boy's post, I finally got to do my solo Q/XC today. (After nemerous false starts)!

Funny really, wasnt in the least bit nervous this morning, but when my instructor (you know who you are) signed me out, the butterflies started! So much so, that I started to make silly mistakes, such as trying to start the a/c with the mixture at ICO, never done that before!

I had filled the PA28 (G-SACI) right to the top, so she was a little tricky at lift off and initial climb. My nervousness got the better of me as I made an ass of myself on the R/T overhead Rochester, and then Lashenden, and bungled my way into Lydd.

For some reason after Lydd, things just 'clicked' , my R/T suddenly improved as did my airspeed, heading, and altitude control. The waypoints started appearing on time and where expected.

A very busy Shoreham was the next landing, but I felt in my element, and every thing went to plan. Thanks very much to the controller who complimented me after leaving Shoreham, it was VERY much appreciated.

Arrived back at Stapleford without drama, what an experience, rounded off by a pint of Stella, and a cigar. I feel a lot more confident about the skills test now (although it still scares the s**t out of me)!

I think the moral of this story is dont get uptight, relax and enjoy it!

Hersh, love to swap notes with you - well done again!

Iain
:cool: :cool:

Aussie Andy
19th Jun 2002, 23:04
Well done that man!

Don't worry too much about the GFT - just focus, and you will be fine :)

tacpot
20th Jun 2002, 10:31
Well done on getting around the course and controlling your nerves. I tried ot start the a/c with the mixture in ICO a couple of trips after qualifying:eek: . You'll only try it once, because now you know it doesn't work ;)

Best wishes for the Skill Test.

Hersham Boy
20th Jun 2002, 11:35
Congrats, Iainpoll! I've no doubt that everyone on this BBS has made a daft error at one time or another - better it be not starting an engine to landing with the gear up :eek:

If I think back to anything like that happening to me, I'm always trying to do things too quickly or am feeling nervous/uncomfortable with the situation. I was chronically nervous of using the radio to begin with and would not confirm or ask for things to be repeated or admit to not knowing where a hold at a strange place was for fear of looking stupid or wasting other piots time who are trying to talk. I have become very much more confortable with flying in general now that I feel confident to talk on the radio and to ask for information I need. I think the hurrying thing you just have to stop yourself and do things like actively saying 'check' as you go through a checklist etc.

I accidentially misreported my position to Shoreham on my qx/c leg between IOW and Lydd (was passing south of their overhead and wanted them to know exactly where I was because of the instrument approach and holding patterns)... I was looking at the wrong pier! I felt a bit daft but went back to them with a corrected position and there was no problem at all. Better than keeping quiet, I guess!

I have also been learning lots about navigation on my solo sorties - sometimes it seems, the landmarks/towns etc. you expect to se just don't get spotted. Sometimes they're under the nose, sometimes you just miss them, sometimes you're a bit too low and they go unseen. Trying not to get nervous and convince yourself you're lost as soon as this happens has taken some practice... but the first time I experienced this I felt very uncomfortable, I didn't want to make a fuss by calling anyone (stupid) and I started to get quite concerned about getting into a danger area or controlled airspace... this definately did NOT make me fly better! Fortunately, I spotted a landmark I knew well and realised that I was within a couple of degrees of desired track! I was relieve and went back to being as more relaxed pilot again!

I'm sure you need a little bit of this kind of nervce in order to be as serious about the task in hand as you need to be... but I agree with your point about relaxation. I think this point should be reinforced in training (my instructor makes me feel relaxed by his manner) as it makes abig difference.

Hopefully we'll all get to excahnge views at a fly-in after we'er all qualified (for those of us who aren't!)

Until then - keep these posts coming and happy landings! :D

Hersh

VORTIME
20th Jun 2002, 14:49
Great post Hersh. Navigation in an unfamiliar environment scares me sh*t out of me too! I'm fine on the radio, sometimes I'm so keen I even read back more than I need to!

I try to always find routes where easy to identify lakes, large towns (not stupid 2-pub, 1 house type towns) etc are located. I always backup the visual nav with VORs/GPS. I feel navigation is sometimes very poorly taught. So much emphasis is on being *exactly* on track that one devotes too much time to worrying about minor things. I remember during my training I found it difficult to identify towns 10nm away working hard on the DI and wasting time on maths formulas. If I now glance at a chart, pick a rough heading and I seem to always arrive at the right place (even w/o GPS!).

I still get nervous flying to airports for the first time, but I guess that goes with being low hours.

p.s. Hersham, I'm sure you'll do fine on the Checkride, I passed (I made a BIG mistake I'm too embarrassed to repeat here!!)

AerBabe
20th Jun 2002, 15:54
Well done Iainpoll - told you it would be your turn soon ;)

The most helpful tip I can give anyone about navigation is do as much on the ground as possible! Get the wind forecast, use your whiz wheel, and decide which radionavs you'll use. Write down their frequencies, and you could even write down the morse so you don't need to fiddle around with your kneeboard. All this will save time spent with your head in the cockpit in the air - time in which you might have gone past a landmark.

If you DO miss a landmark, don't worry. Sometimes even if you know exactly where one is, it might not be visible if you're just a couple of degrees off track. First thing to do is check your DI against the compass to make sure your heading is what you think it is. Then, just wait and see if the next one turns up. If not, then use a couple of VORs, or a VOR and a DME to get a position fix. Don't panic, even ATCOs that fly get it wrong sometimes.

Finally, don't be afraid of speaking to ATC, and don't be afraid of using non-standard R/T. They don't bite ... hard! ;) Don't be sloppy with what you say, but ask for what you want. No need to panic because you say 'sorry, I mean' rather than 'correction'. As long as the message gets across, that's what's most important. Don't be afraid of getting something wrong either. Just make sure you tell them. Again, it has been known for an ATCO to be wrong occasionally ;) Remember, they're there for your safety!

Oooh... and don't forget to relax and enjoy it every now and then! Your instructor wouldn't have sent you off solo if he wasn't entirely convinced you would bring the a/c back safely. They really hate the paperwork if you screw up :D

Trislander
21st Jun 2002, 17:54
Congrats Iain.

I agree with Aerbabe - do as much planning on the GND as possible. I have done so much manual nav work that I would be scared to use a GPS for anything other than checking I hadn't in advertantly strayed into a MATZ or FIS. Apart from (in my opinion) being lazy, using the GPS -D-> (Direct To) function seems pointless unless you are in unrestricted/controlled airspace because sometimes there are so many things to avoid like danger zones and obstructions.

I had to get a position check from Bristol ATC when I was on my QXC because I was told to join the zone at Radstock VRP instead of my planned Chew Valley VRP. When I thought I was overhead the right palce, the controller came back telling me I was overhead Bath! Everyone makes silly mistakes from time to time. But expect the unexpected even if you have done your planning on the ground, you, or someone else may change it for you en route.

Good luck with the rest of your flying.

Regards, Trislander