PDA

View Full Version : RFFS Hand signals

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2015, 10:42
On a safety course last month, the local firecrew took us through their hand signals to an aircraft.

That surprised me, as I didn't recognise them from my flying / CPL TK / etc.

Looking them up - I found them here.

https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2013003.pdf

Just thought I'd mention it, as if I didn't know them, probably somebody else didn't either.

G

Ant T
18th Nov 2015, 12:57
I hadn't come across those, and from a quick ask around at work, nor had anyone else I asked, so thanks for that.

Chesty Morgan
18th Nov 2015, 13:37
There's another one that is NOT in the CAA document but IS ICAO standard and that's the "you're on fire" one.

Point up for engine, down for brake and move your other hand in a figure of eight.

Might've been useful if they'd included it.

Ant T
18th Nov 2015, 13:41
The "you're on fire" one, I did know - that is in our Ops Manual :)

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2015, 17:25
"You're on fire" was new to me - thanks for that !

G

India Four Two
22nd Nov 2015, 10:19
Genghis,

Thanks for posting. They are new to me too. I don't remember seeing them in the TC AIP or in NZ CAA docs. Very surprising that are not widely publicized to pilots.

I am amused to see that, in a British document, the "Emergency Contained" signal is described as being similar to an Umpire's "Safe" signal. Not much use if you are not a baseball fan! 😀

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Nov 2015, 12:14
Thanks for mentioning, GtE. I wonder if these are UK-specific, or defined internationally, either by ICAO or by whoever else.

taybird
23rd Nov 2015, 19:52
The horizontal figure of eight is taught as part of the marshalling signals at PPL and CPL / ATPL. I'm surprised you didn't know that one! To be fair, the other ones are a bit more unique, but that's a common one.

LookingForAJob
23rd Nov 2015, 19:57
Presumably all in SERA Appendix 1 Section 4 (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:281:0001:0066:EN:PDF) - the only rules of the air that matter in Europe these days.