PDA

View Full Version : Adding initial TMG rating to (CAA) SPL

Zonkor
13th Nov 2015, 16:17
Does anybody know if it's now possible to add an initial TMG rating to a CAA-issued SPL?

Earlier this year it was only possible to add it to a PPL, as the corresponding procedure or form was not established yet.

Do I remember correctly that the BGA is responsible for this procedure, and I could inquire there instead of the CAA?

15th Nov 2015, 17:12
Currently, adding a TMG extension to an SPL/LAPL(S) needs the specified training to be done within an ATO.

EASA noticed that the ATO requirements are not suitable for SPL/LAPL(S) training and so has been working on an alternative. There will probably be an NPA, with a better set of regulations, published in the New Year.

I don't know of any ATO offering the training.
Meanwhile, glider pilots wanting to fly TMGs have the same option as has existed for years: NPPL SLMG.

Zonkor
16th Nov 2015, 13:15
Currently, adding a TMG extension to an SPL/LAPL(S) needs the specified training to be done within an ATO.

EASA noticed that the ATO requirements are not suitable for SPL/LAPL(S) training and so has been working on an alternative. There will probably be an NPA, with a better set of regulations, published in the New Year.

I don't know of any ATO offering the training.
Meanwhile, glider pilots wanting to fly TMGs have the same option as has existed for years: NPPL SLMG.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe that wasn't clear enough, but I did the training for the TMG class rating with an ATO and passed the skills test. I was able to add the TMG class rating to my PPL, but I wasn't able to add it to my SPL, for the reasons stated.

Thus I'm wondering whether it's now possible to add the initial TMG class rating after passing the skills test to an CAA-issuede EASA SPL.

OpenCirrus619
16th Nov 2015, 14:51
On initial issue of my EASA SPL I had the TMG extension included - on the basis that I already held a TMG rating on my CPL.

Based on that I would have thought that the CAA would add the extension, to your SPL, or LAPL(S), based on the fact you now have a TMG rating on your PPL - of course, you will have to cross their palms with silver.

Just my thoughts - I'd give them a call.

OC619

17th Nov 2015, 16:09
I see what you mean.
Yes of course, adding the TMG extension to your SPL on the basis of a valid TMG Class Rating would be utterly sensible.
What objection could there possibly be?

(I think OC619's process was conversion to a Part-FCL licence from a UK one.
By contrast, operating exclusively under Part-FCL is a different matter)

Whatever, do give them a call and please let us know how you get on.

MartinCh
27th Nov 2015, 05:31
I was going to add TMG to my licence and was told at non-UK CAA that it could be added to either SPL or PPL, but not both same time.

I assume it's to do with the EASA requirement of only ONE EASA licence with the same class/category privileges. The fact that some people may have Spanish or Greek PPL/CPL and then get British or Irish etc, without surrendering the earlier, is another issue.

The EASA regs have slightly different training requirements for adding TMG to LAPL, SPL or PPL, obviously due to different cross country etc requirements for licence issue.

There is an advantage to keeping TMG on PPL - revalidation by experience (plus the flight with instructor) on PPL can be done through both SEP and TMG - their combination, rather than SEP only. Just something to consider, wanting TMG on SPL.

1st Dec 2015, 10:24
I'm not sure your non-UK CAA has got it right.

FCL.015 is the regulation in question:
(c) A person shall not hold at any time more than one licence per category of aircraft issued in accordance with this Part

TMG isn't a category of aircraft. According to FCL.010 - Definitions, its:
a specific class of powered sailplane

I have both an ATPL(A) with TMG Class Rating & an SPL with TMG extension.