PDA

View Full Version : EGAE - City of Derry Airport, NI

VORTIME
19th Jun 2002, 16:31
Hello,

Just visited the City of Derry airport on a commercial flight and wondered if many have flown in with GA aircraft. If one has, they might be so kind to post details of the local terrian (windshear, mountain waves etc?) and flying in the general area, routings etc.

Thanks
VT

Aussie Andy
19th Jun 2002, 18:05
As a matter of fact, I don't think we've ever had any comment on flying in NI so I'd be interested too - is there anybody out there!? :)

undertheweather
20th Jun 2002, 08:59
Me too!
I'm thinking of flying across to Northern Ireland to visit some relatives, and also to Donegal. What is the airfield situation in that part of the world? Has St Angelo closed down? Do I have to notify Special Branch to go to NI? What about flying from NI into the Republic, what is the procedure there? Do Aldergrove and City of Derry welcome GA?
Lots of questions, I know, but I would be grateful for as much information as is out there

yokie1
20th Jun 2002, 12:34
Hello,

I fly out of City of Derry, the club is called Eglinton Fying Club and all GA pilots are more than welcome!!. The skies are'nt exactly full of aircraft around here so the airport itself is quiet to say the least. There are pretty much no restrictions either just watch out for the gliders operating about 8nm from the field.....and steer clear of a military base on the approach to 26, that runway has the same extended centerline as CofD and you dont want to land there!! I dont belive you have to contact Special branch before setting of,, but dont quote me on that!. Flying to donegal,, best bet would be carrickfinn on the extreme west coast, beautiful place! although i think there is a grass field around Letterkenny but im not sure if this is private.....careful the approach to 26 (over the lough) is prone to windshear....Oh! and it rains allot :)

VORTIME
20th Jun 2002, 13:35
Many thanks for your reply yokie1. Maybe you could answer a few questions:

1) What are the defined VFR routes to the airport (or are there any?).

2) Do you know the landing charge for overseas SE aircraft?

3) What clearance should one expect upon contacting approach/tower?

Thanks!
VT

yokie1
20th Jun 2002, 14:07
Hi VT,

I havent flown on mainland UK so i cant imagine how busy it is,, in fact it would probably scare me!!m the reason is that flying around my area is so unrestricted its unbelievable. Once your clear of the Belfast TMA you can fly wherever you like, There are no specific VFR routes that im aware of.

Landing fees i believe are around £15, ive never had to pay them though being a member of the club.

there are 2 runways at the field, the tower will usually clear you direct having left belfast TMA to the field to join either straight in or left/right base depending on runway or you can potter along the noth coast (definately advisable) and enjoy the view

hope this helps

topunicyclist
20th Jun 2002, 14:11
http://www.donegalairport.ie/

VORTIME
20th Jun 2002, 14:23
Sorry for my ignorance, TMA = Traffic Management Advisor? Is it some sort of enroute centre?

KazBird
20th Jun 2002, 14:46
TMA = Terminal Area

yokie1
20th Jun 2002, 14:51
Terminal Control Area

GroundBound
20th Jun 2002, 15:10
Funnily enough, I've just come back from a week's (attempted) flying in EGAA. Trying to get some instrument instruction, but got blocked because of weather (seems odd that :confused: ).

The most noticeable thing is the visibility (when its not raining, of course) - absolutely fantastic! Also, there's not a lot of controlled airspace, so you can roam around, free as a bird, most of the time.

Lough Neough (spelling ?) is so big, you can't fly anywhere without losing sight of it, so navigation is simple. There are some high hills around, and they can get covered in cloud - beware!

ATC are helpful to GA - picked us up and fitted in an SRA and ILS at a moment's notice - nice (and thanks to the guys and gals ;) ).

At Aldergrove you gotta pay every time you touch rubber to tarmac, though.

Enjoyed it lots. :)

patrickmckenna
20th Jun 2002, 17:29
HEY There!!

Eglinton Flying Club is my local flying club!!. Im learning to fly there. the club has a cessna 152(G-BSZI) and a PA-28 warrior (G-BLEJ). All the pilots there are very very friendly and let me know when you want to fly in, we can meet up if you want.

:) Thanks

jabiruwho
21st Jun 2002, 13:40
Undertheweather.... You do need to contact special branch for flights from GB to NI. St Angelo has closed. NI to the Republic requires a flight plan filed with Aldergrove but, whilst I believe Special Branch should also be informed, I don't know anyone who does this.

EGAE landing fee is £7.64 + vat for singles

Yokie 1... I have never experienced any windshear on final to 26 over Lough Foyle but when the wind is from the south it can be very bumpy on final for 20. There are published VFR routes from the North and South, look on the club notice board on your left as you leave the hut. However, as stated there is very little traffic and nobody actually uses the routes. ATC don't even refer to them.

As for more information on airfields, procedures etc then it's all in the AFE UK VFR Flight Guide and I'm sure Poolys has the same info. As for airfields in Eire, buy a copy of Fly In Ireland from Transair. It lists, and has diagrams for, most of the airfields north and south and contains a lot of other useful info.

To anyone in GB. File your flight plan, phone Special Branch and get over here. Flying here is fantastic. Loads of empty airspace and scenery to die for. Just bring your umbrella for the pre-flight!

Enjoy

:)

Standard Noise
22nd Jun 2002, 13:49
A bit of advice from a local Atco - find out the locations of all the Restricted and Prohibited areas, and avoid them. Especially the Temp. Prohibited Area around Portadown - 5nm radius from Drumcree, up to 5A' for most of July.

Also watch out for the mil. helos buzzing about outside the TMA.
It never ceases to amaze me that even local ppl's in receipt of a FIS, when told that there is no known traffic to affect, will reply, "I have your Gazelle/Puma/Chinook tfc in sight!" (followed by the sound of an exasperated atco choking on his coffee and choccy biccie.....).

If you are coming from the east via the Mull of Galloway, or past the IOM north-eastbound, add EGAC to your flight plan, as it's nice for us to know that you're passing by, helps us plan etc. Especially if you're above 2A'.

All the hairy....