PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the Requirements for PFA Young Eagles Pilots??

Circuit Basher
19th Jun 2002, 16:10
There appears to be a bit of a debate going on about the pilot experience / currency requirements for pilots offering flights under the PFA Young Eagles Scheme.

This came about because I've I've looked it up on the Air Cadets Web site and have found a certain level of experience / currency required, but have not found a publication anywhere on the Web that details the PFAs understandings of this (although someone I know who is offering YES flights is operating to different parameters).

I just tried calling PFA, but the office was shut: I did feel, however, that someone in the massive collective brain that is PPRuNe may be able to answer the question authorittativly XX authoritavely XX authoritativeley XX Ohh bummmmmm - correctly!! :D :D

[edited by Circuit Basher to remove some of the worst typos and add a few more!!!]

skua
19th Jun 2002, 18:03
I have done some, and have got onto the EAA register for this. They sent me some more paperwork only yesterday. It says
"Requirements for Young Eageles Pilots include:

*signed registration form from parent/guardian
* appropriate rating & endorsement for a/c to be used
* biennial & 90 day reequirements completed
* aircraft must be maintained according to the FAR's
* Pilot must be an EAA member
* Aircraft liability insurance
* Flight under VFR only
* no hot loading/unloading
* no aerobatics "

I guess the PFA requirements mirror these pretty closely.

Good luck, it is very rewarding.

Skua

stiknruda
19th Jun 2002, 18:51
pfa.org.uk

I'm sure there is a Young Eagles FAQ section.

The office is closed because the good burgers of the PFA are setting up the rally for this weekend.

Ask at the rally, you will be going won't you!:D

Stik

Circuit Basher
20th Jun 2002, 06:56
Thanks for the replies guys. I did check the PFA Web site, but there weren't any answers to the questions I wanted answered!

The question I was asking was relating to pilot experience and currency, as I believe that some people offering flights under the YES (in the UK) are not aware of what the Air Cadets requirements are.

The Air Cadet requirements for Young Eagles (or, indeed, the 'relaxed' conditions for *any* approved Non-Service Flights) are:

Total Hrs 250
P1 Hrs 150
Hrs on Type 20
Currency: 10hrs in past 3 months and 3hrs in past month.

Furthermore, approval *may* be given for aeros subject to knowledge of pilot and aircraft, providing:

Pilot holds current AOPA Aeros Certificate (or equivalent)
Parachutes are worn
Manoeuvres are limited to +g
Recoveries completed not below 3000' AGL

A friend has also emailed me the link for the
Charity Flight AIC (http://www.ais.org.uk/Uk_aip/pdf/aic/4W020.PDF) , which makes interesting reading, but introduces a whole different set of parameters!

Courtman
20th Jun 2002, 10:04
I've done about 45 Young Eagles "missions" (as the EAA like to call it on their website - which is about 15 missions short for me anyway). I think, and I'm prepared to be proved wrong, that it is 100hrs PIC and current on type. I did a Young Eagles event at Oxford at the beginning of the month, and when I signed the pilot form I think that was what it said.

I'm trying to organise another Young Eagles soon, when I get the paperwork through I will know for sure....

:) :D :cool: :D :)