PDA

View Full Version : BASA on horizon ?

Pace
6th Nov 2015, 08:39
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs800/media/Pilot_Licensing_Summary.pdf

ChickenHouse
6th Nov 2015, 10:20
LOL - The "english proficiency" entry in the FAA license set to count as ICAO Language Proficiency Level 4? So, native US private pilots holding FAA PPL have to take an english test in Europe every 4 years to keep their EASA Part.FCL PPL current - they can not be serious on that, or? Not few of the language "examiners" will be unable to understand native american speakers, not to speak of judge their english capability ... *sarcasmOFF*

It may be the right time, now, for the FAA to state an ICAO level of english proficiency on the FAA license.

GS-Alpha
6th Nov 2015, 10:40
Without bringing on an onslaught, I'm not surprised by that. I've heard a controller clear someone up to FL350 in the USA in the past. The pilot's readback was "Cleared all the way up." The RT discipline of many Americans would not be acceptable in EASA land.

Jonzarno
6th Nov 2015, 17:37
The "english proficiency" entry in the FAA license

When the "English Proficiency" endorsement requirement came along a few years ago, I went to the Las Vegas FSDO to get this done. The officer there was kind enough to issue me with a temporary airman's certificate duly endorsed:

"English proficiant" [sic] :):rolleyes:

Pace
8th Nov 2015, 11:27
Meldex

Hmm that really depends on whether you consider EASA to be a bunch of cheats, conmen, liars and dishonest or whether they are good to their word and an honourable organisation.

EASA have time and time again proclaimed their intention to leave no stone unturned in reaching a BASA with the FAA. First on PPL stuff and then moving to CPL ATPL.

All this came about in 2012 and has been delayed every year since partly with legal complications which runs against existing EU law and partly because of their stated intention to achieve a BASA for as long as it takes as well as logistical problems.
I have a personal letter from the Head of EASA staying just that intention so its up to you to work out why 4 years of delays?

You mention I have a CPL? I don't Hold a CPL I hold an ATPL and there is a massive difference| A CPL can be held with low hours and I agree there would be a problem with the training organisations on any conversion process which side stepped the European existing structure.

Not so significant with an ATPL as the pilot has to have 1500 hrs to achieve an FAA ATPL so of little loss to the training organisation
Even so there are ways around that by restricting the issued ATPL to use on private aircraft only and to fly N reg in Europe maybe a ATPL (RN)

the statement on the FAA document indicates that there is intention to move onto commercial licences and enough common ground to do so! That would not be a one way statement and as such I would be very surprised if 2016 is not extended again while those options are explored

It should not be any more than 1 Airlaw exam for differences one dual qualified examiner at the next recurrent and maybe an EASA class 1 medical

Pace

Pace
8th Nov 2015, 19:52
agreed but EASA will not open a back door to an easy EASA licence sidestepping their own structure and meaning the flight schools here loose business.

They could so easily sort this all round by issuing a restricted EASA CPL and ATPL for use on private aircraft only and precluding any commercial operations ! Then they protect their own structure while accommodating existing FAA pilots flying in Europe under a EASA licence.

But when do EASA do anything practical or sensible ? rather than politically or pressure group motivated

Pace