View Full Version : IFR Training Flight (remark in the FPL)

4th Nov 2015, 09:13
Hello

I'm interested in your opinions/experiance of the above from the ATC point of view, especially for the European area. So straight to the root of my question :
Sometimes I notice the above mentioned "IFR training flight" filled in the no:18 remark field of a Flight plan. Since I couldn't find any information in ICAO or EASA documents describing FPL . What are the practical applications from an ATC point of view and how do you handle such flights at your ATC units?

samotnik
4th Nov 2015, 12:41
It's just a word of warning. ;-)

zonoma
4th Nov 2015, 13:26
Let them fly the full route instead of giving them the best direct I can.

Lon More
4th Nov 2015, 13:53
Both of the above. Let them fly the filed route, complete with all position reports and give them a couple of miles more separation in expectation of the unexpected.

Glamdring
4th Nov 2015, 18:47
Give them a couple times round the hold before vectoring to a decent ILS (Not cutting them in tight).

5th Nov 2015, 04:47
Guys, thanx for your input. My opinion on the subject is in line with your answers. :)

Thanx again

5th Nov 2015, 10:52
Don't forget that training flights sometimes qualify for reduced rates at some airfields, your flight plan would be a useful note of that. Colleagues have mentioned some common sense [and professional] views on the subject; in addition.....don't talk to much...leave them alone as far as safety permits.

chevvron
6th Nov 2015, 08:15
Don't forget some of these flights land at the same airfield from which they took off. This may confuse some ATC staff and especially some computer systems where an automated flight plan system is used.

jmmoric
6th Nov 2015, 16:02
Lower priority ;)

And give them strange tasks like full procedure and altitudes not corrected for temperature :)

BizJetJock
7th Nov 2015, 09:45
Certainly within the UK, not sure about other countries, they are exempt from enroute nav charges. A significant saving.