PDA

View Full Version : SEP Renewal Cost to the CAA

Licence to Learn
3rd Nov 2015, 07:45
Hello,

Would someone with a wealth of knowledge please confirm to me if I've found the right charge from the CAA website with regards to sending the paperwork off after my LPC?

3.8 Ratings, certificates or qualifications

When making an application for the inclusion, variation or renewal of a rating, certificate or qualification in a flight crew licence specified in Table 6, the applicant shall pay to the CAA a charge in accordance with that Table:

Table 6
Ref. Licence type Rating, certificate or qualification

f)

Professional Pilot’s Licence, Private Pilot’s Licence or Flight Engineer’s
Licence

Any other rating, qualification or instructor certificate not shown above

Charge: £88

Mach Jump
3rd Nov 2015, 16:54
If you are simply renewing an expired SEP Class Rating, the Examiner signs your licence, and there is no fee to the CAA.

MJ:ok:

Licence to Learn
3rd Nov 2015, 17:26
:eek:That's amazing news!

So I assume the payment forms that came in the big bulk of paper given to me by the examiner are for other renewals/aircrew licencing etc?

Bravo Mike
3rd Nov 2015, 17:57
I am in a similar situation. This is what I understand so far: The issue is whether your existing license is an EASA one. If not, you will have to apply and pay for a conversion to EASA. The £88 fee is approximately what I am expecting but additional ratings such as IMC, aerobatics, possibly Night qualification then complicate the issue further. If you already have an EASA licence, then I agree that the rating can be revalidated by a flight examiner with no payment to the CAA required.
I look forward to a knowledgeable response to your post.

mrmum
3rd Nov 2015, 22:05
LtL

It depends somewhat on which licence you actually have, with the SEP(L) rating in it.
If you have an EASA Part FCL PPL, then as long as the SEP(L) class rating is on the front, the examiner can sign your licence to renew the rating. There will be forms to send to Gatwick; SRG1157 and SRG1119D, no fee is required. You may also have a SRG1119C, not really needed unless the rating is on the back of your PPL in the expired section, but then the CAA will need paid.

If you don't have an EASA licence, the examiner may also have given you a SRG1104 to apply for one, this again will need you to pay the CAA.

If you currently hold a JAA-PPL, then this will probably be expired or expiring soon (they have a 5 year validity), again the examiner can carry out the renewal admin in your licence, no fee from CAA for that, just send them the forms as above. But you will need to pay them to issue an EASA licence.

If you have a pre-JAA, UK CAA PPL, then again the examiner can carry out the renewal action in your licence, no CAA fee, send them the forms. You may wish to also have an EASA licence issued on the basis of this PPL, if so, application with fee to Gatwick. If you don't do this, you may not be able to fly an EASA aircraft at some point in the future, currently April 2018 and until then you will be limited to LAPL privileges.

ifitaintboeing
3rd Nov 2015, 23:44
If you are simply renewing an expired SEP Class Rating, the Examiner signs your licence, and there is no fee to the CAA.

Actually, if the rating is in Section XII of the licence, the examiner may sign for revalidation or renewal of that rating and there is no CAA fee to pay.

However, if it's not in Section XII of the licence (i.e. it's been put on the back of the licence), you must return the paperwork with the CAA fee to the CAA in order to get that rating renewed. See Information Notice 2014/109.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014109.pdf

ifitaint...

Mickey Kaye
4th Nov 2015, 07:43
And the evidence base for such a two their system is?

foxmoth
4th Nov 2015, 09:34
additional ratings such as IMC, aerobatics, possibly Night qualification then complicate the issue further.
I think you will find that for additional ratings if put on at license conversion there is no extra charge, if you have IMC or other ratings it is therefore worth ensuring these are current prior to conversion, if you have aeros experience then AOPA aeros certificate or other proof such as a letter from an aeros instructor can be used to add this at time of conversion.

Meldrew
4th Nov 2015, 10:36
Gentlemen,
Just to add my two penny worth to the above.
In april this year I went through the process of revalidation and conversion to EASA licence.
I had A UK lifetime PPL issued in 1971. I ceased active flying in 1999 and my two year validity therefore expired around 2001.
I undertook revalidation training in April this year, passed a proficiency check, and, with all boxes ticked, sent the Examiner validated paperwork off to Gatwick with a cheque for £78, which is what the website suggested was the appropriate fee to include courier delivery
After a period if some weeks, i enquired as to the delay on the phone. I was told to pay an additional £80. I forget the reason .
I duly paid over the phone, anxious to expedite return of the license. I later received a refund notice for the £80. However, I never received this refund. I queried again on the phone, and to cut the story shirt, was told that this was an error and that the total of £158 paid was correct. I began to lose the will to live as they explained the reasons . I have let the matter drop as "life's too short"
I still di not understand the charges. I was not adding any additional ratings, purely revalidationg a UK lifetime PPL (SEP land) and conversion to an EASA license. Any explanation from someone out there would be enlightening!!

Northern Highflyer
4th Nov 2015, 11:30
I think you will find that for additional ratings if put on at license conversion there is no extra charge, if you have IMC or other ratings it is therefore worth ensuring these are current prior to conversion....

Not true. I converted my JAA licence earlier this year and applied for the IMC to be included at the time. I hold a valid IR and the IMC was also annotated on my JAA licence. I assumed (as did the CFI at my local club) that this was all that was required, and that I would only need to pay the conversion fee. After about 3 weeks of waiting, the CAA emailed to tell me that I had to complete a separate IMC application form and pay the additional £88 as national ratings weren't automatically transferred. This delayed my licence by a further 3 weeks. :*

Licence to Learn
4th Nov 2015, 15:14
A-ha - That's cleared it up, thank you.

I have a JAA-PPL, which only 2 years ago I paid £90 to renew for five years.

My examiner has obviously given me the two forms; one to send off for my SEP renewal and the other to send my licence off to have it converted to EASA.

Bit miffed that I have to hand over money again having only recently paid to renew my JAA-PPL but I suppose that's the way it is.

mrmum
4th Nov 2015, 18:21
You do have to send off the SEP class rating renewal forms now. However, as your JAA-PPL still has another 3 years or so before it expires, you can wait until nearer the time to have an actual EASA PPL issued if you want. JAA licences are all now deemed to be EASA licences in effect. Once done ,your EASA PPL is issued for life, so it should be a one time fee.

Bravo Mike
6th Nov 2015, 21:07
I spoke to a helpful person (Mel) at the CAA today who confirmed that it is not necessary to apply for an EASA conversion until expiry of the 5 year JAR license. So the good news is that a re-validation of a SEP rating is free. A flight examiner (I read somewhere that some instructors may qualify to do this) endorses the re-validation page of your license after checking you have met the requirements, and you send off form SRG1119B to the CAA.That's it, as far as I can tell.

Whopity
6th Nov 2015, 23:20
Correct. However; if you need to get the CAA to carry out any licensing function e.g. adding a night rating or an IMC then that means you have to convert your JAA licence at that time because they cannot reissue an old format licence.